• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jy951

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Feb 18, 2009
    If you aren't anywhere close to a range, it might be an idea. Otherwise, I'd probably just go too a range. Seems awful expensive for that purpose.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    I would like to buy land that i could shoot on. Ideally we could hunt, have access to water for fishing, and possibly build a cabin on it later. Plus, the right property would be a good investment, imo. Husband is not on board, regardless if we can afford it or not. He says people would trespass and vandalize when we are not there.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I would like to buy land that i could shoot on. Ideally we could hunt, have access to water for fishing, and possibly build a cabin on it later. Plus, the right property would be a good investment, imo. Husband is not on board, regardless if we can afford it or not. He says people would trespass and vandalize when we are not there.

As someone that lives on 23 acres I will say he is partially right. What I experienced was a few folks hunting when I first bought it. (I got it from the original owner/ builders widow who hadn't been in the woods for years) I politely approached them and let them know ow she didn't own the property anymore and I bought it so I could hunt and use it and didn't want anyone on it. Didn't have too many issues.

I didn't plan on having anyone cited until the second year and word was out then I wouldn't have put up with it.

Yes people have and will trespass but to be truthful the biggest problem I have had and co workers in other area has had was during deer season. People become crazy acting and thinking they can do what they want.

Good luck

Just mark your lines, develop good relationships with your bordering property owners and it hasn't been bad for me.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I have family property I take care of out in the country and hope to eventually make a small shooting range.

My advantage is that I have had a new Amish family move next door that can easily keep an eye on things and the risk of extreme vandalism is reduced, but not gone.

I would consider what kind of "shape" you expect the property to be kept in. Do you want it mowed? If so, a good mower on hand is necessary or else you need a good trailer and riding mower. Do you want a gravel road? If so, where do you put it. Some of these are simple things to determine while others will take more thought. If you drive there one day will you want to spend the night? If so, camping or small building? This would become a much more important issue the farther away from home the property is.

I have learned that animal control is way down out in the country. I planted trees that the deer destroyed. In our building mice have invaded and the cleanup and constant trapping has been hell. When you don't live somewhere all the time animal infestation risk increases exponentially. If you do build consider aluminum or steel sheeting that cannot be chewed through to keep mice and other critters out. More expensive, less headaches.

Neighbors are an issue, both good and ill. Three (3) of our five (5) nearest neighbors are all Amish and are great for keeping to themselves and respecting our property. Our biggest issue has been the English neighbors who want to hunt or trespass. Most have gotten the message, but a few need...reminding.

If you plan to hunt you will need more acreage. While I have had several opportunities on our 10+ acres to kill some deer, that has been very sporadic. I would guess you would want a minimum of 10 acres, but the hunters on here would be able to answer this more than me. I would also guess location would be important to whatever you want to hunt. We have a pond so it does draw some wildlife to it.

You can get some land fairly inexpensively up in Northern Michigan. I would think other locations that are poor for farming would be less expensive as well. However, drive time and crossing state lines may incur logistical issues.

For me, I have my own private park out in the country. I can go shoot, cook over an open fire, bring friends for fireworks or Halloween parties for the kids, etc. It has been extremely relaxing and rewarding.

Good luck,

Doug

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    We did...Bought a small shack with about an acre....Gun range was already there I just had to tweak it...A back stop of a bluff...A little weekend home and a private gun range for less than the price of a used truck...

Shack built about 1890 or so...Maybe earlier by twenty years...Fireplace is from the 1860's-1870's....

Even put in a tub for cooling off with adult beverages after shooting...I have a .22 trap set so I can shoot paper from the tub...(Not with an adult beverage in my hand....)

In the 1980's Belinda Carlisle of the Bangles??? Said one should try to "make Heaven a place on Earth..." We went for it...

Last edited:

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Wife and I hashed over this many times. It's a no go for us.

How do you police it?
    Critters and mother nature take over if your not there.
    Locals know you aren't there so they saw wood, vandalize, poach, and destroy. Then if they fall out of a tree and shoot themselves it's your fault.

Found a range close to the house. Best hundred bucks I ever spent. Figured be money ahead by taking trips and renting places. At the end we pack it up and leave. No responsibility, maintenance.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Wife and I hashed over this many times. It's a no go for us.

How do you police it?
    Critters and mother nature take over if your not there.
    Locals know you aren't there so they saw wood, vandalize, poach, and destroy. Then if they fall out of a tree and shoot themselves it's your fault.

Neighbors police it...We are there every weekend (weather permitting) so the critters stay way...A big black snake lives under the house and keeps the mice inside at bay by visiting the inside during the week....The locals are good people and have a thousand acres of their own so no need to come onto my little po dunk spot...

A local reserve police officer and guard at the local prison cuts our grass in the summer...In five years we have never had a human or animal in any way damage our property...Rural people watch out for each other...

This is based on my experience of the past five years...Things may be different up north....As I said....This has just been our experience and and I am not doubting the call you made regarding not having property with a range...

(Plus I don't think a public range would allow me to shoot my K 22 from my tub wearing nothing but an old Stetson...:))

TWEAKD4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 31, 2012
    NE Indiana
    I have thought about it many times. I would want the land close enough to home to drive that wouldn't be an unconvience but far enough away from the burbs to have some open space. In my area that means very costly property. One of these factors would need to be sacrificed to make it cost effective.

4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    Whenever I pass property with a large hillside cut out for sand and gravel, I think how great it would be for a "private" shooting range. Think it was just last week (can't find the article now), a man up around Niles, MI accidently shot his neighbor; I believe something like 800' away, apparently because he didn't give enough thought to his backstop. Not saying a private range is a bad idea, just saying for anyone thinking about this, a woods may not be sufficient.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I've been both an absentee and live in land owner. Trespass issues are just something that comes with owning land if you aren't there or can't manage access of your borders. Four legged critter issues are more of a problem since we now live here, but can be managed. My shooting range back into the side of a ravine and it's three miles that direction to the nearest sign of civilization.

Biggest issue with living on the frontier is erratic, expensive internet service.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Neighbors police it...We are there every weekend (weather permitting) so the critters stay way...A big black snake lives under the house and keeps the mice inside at bay by visiting the inside during the week....The locals are good people and have a thousand acres of their own so no need to come onto my little po dunk spot...

A local reserve police officer and guard at the local prison cuts our grass in the summer...In five years we have never had a human or animal in any way damage our property...Rural people watch out for each other...

This is based on my experience of the past five years...Things may be different up north....As I said....This has just been our experience and and I am not doubting the call you made regarding not having property with a range...

(Plus I don't think a public range would allow me to shoot my K 22 from my tub wearing nothing but an old Stetson...:))

Black snake...? OOoohhhhhhh!!! :drool:

Can I have it??? I promise to feed it LOTS of mice.!:bowdown:

TRW

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2017
    Jeffersonville
    Great responses. It's neat to see people actually doing this.

For me it wouldn't just be shooting, camping, hunting, fishing all would be nice. The priorities are shooting and camping.

I live in the suburbs with houses on top of each other. We haven't been there long and our house is nice enough. I just need some space. Also, the big issue is I do defensive shooting drills and would like to set up a USPSA \ IDPA type range. It's near impossible to find a range outdoor or indoor that allows drawing from a holster or steel targets. And then the local IDPA \ USPSA clubs are hard to get a membership to. I can't believe how frustratingly difficult it can be to just find a place to do defensive drills. I've been searching for several weeks now with nothing. It's led me to "Man, I guess I need to buy a little land!"

Last edited:

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    Got 20 acres in northwest Michigan in the Manistee Forest. We put a 14x16 yard barn on it to stay in. Been broke into 5 times. Put folks in jail twice. Completely worth it. Now that I read this I'm packing and going up tomorrow. Feed the deer and sit a good fire.

Salty

Unwokeable
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 8, 2015
    Indianapolis
    I bought about 7 acres outside of Bedford a few years ago intending to do this. It is mostly wooded and on the side of a hill with a creek running by. Then I had some health issues and never really did much with it yet. It's about 1-1/2 hour drive so I don't get there often. I have taken my sons there a few times to shoot 22 rifle and revolver with the hill as a backstop. I had big plans for it when I bought it. There is a cleared spot at the top that I thought I might put a cabin on. I have seen deer on trail cams and seen them standing by the road going there. The bad thing is, there is always signs that people have been there. Sometimes we find old furniture and garbage have been dumped next to the bridge over the creek. Some people just have no sense. Pretty sad.

Maybe this year I will put up some signs spend some more time out there. Definitely enough room for 100 yard range.

85Cosmo

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 18, 2016
    West Lafayette
    I had an opportunity to buy 10 acres with a pond and small house, but I was the second person to look and, of course, the first person bought it! Recently the seller called me and I had thought, even after a year, that something went wrong with the deal. Sadly, she just wanted to tell me about another property that was not at all what I wanted. Still looking, just seems like it would be fun. Everything the previous posts have brought up is a concern for any absentee owner. Think I'll check out Craig's List right now!

Top Bottom