• ...and so much more!
  • henry0reilly

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Mar 12, 2009
    Montgomery County
    Found this posted in a classified ad group:

This morning I was told that a pistol I brought back from Vietnam was stolen from my son's house. The pistol is a Type 54 Chinese copy of the Russian 7.62 Takarov with obvious battle damage and field repairs made by the VC. Serial number is 3297760 66-1956. If you see or come into contact with this weapon contact the THPD or try to recover it and I will try to repay you. Please spread this around. Thanks

sgtwal at aol.com

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I detest thieves, particularly those who steal something (in this case) of little intrinsic value, but of very high personal value.

nra4ever

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Indy
    Sorry about your loss and I hope you get your gun back.

Why would you say try to repay the person that might get your gun back. It sounds like you have no intent on repaying that person. I know the law does not require you to repay anyone for your stolen item but it is misleading to someone that does not know. That would be terrible for an honest buyer that lays out money to buy the gun then thinks they are helping you out after seeing this post and wants to return it to you thinking they will get their money back from you when they won't.

I appoligize up front if I am reading this wrong.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Dude who owns the pistol is a Vietnam vet. Probably on fixed income. His intent to repay is pure; his financial means to do so is likely limited.

Not sure I'd take repayment if I have the opportunity to recover it.

Would probably need the money for legal bills, though, depending on if the scum who stole it is able to give a statement.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    When getting it back is more important to the person than anything else, it makes perfect sense. Why are people hung up on this?

I suppose it all depends on if the person receiving the reward is someone who recovered it or the perp who stole it in the first place and found out they couldn't pawn it for any reasonable cash.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I suppose it all depends on if the person receiving the reward is someone who recovered it or the perp who stole it in the first place and found out they couldn't pawn it for any reasonable cash.

That's the point. This isn't a war trophy brought back by any of us, so we, unconnected from the situation, get all preachy about rewarding a bad guy. Good for us.

The guy who brought it back? It obviously means more to him than any of us, infinitely more. To him, it means more than anything else including punishing the perp or even rewarding him. Fine. That's his decision and his perspective. I don't think it's too hard to understand.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    No it's not hard to understand why but it doesn't make it any more palatable including for the guy who it means something to.

Top Bottom