• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheJoker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County
    I got my Winter 2017 issue of the Garand Collector's Journal. Along with several other interesting articles, there is an absolutely awesome and well timed article entitled "How Not To Goof Up at Camp Perry". It couldn't have come at a better time as I am participating in my first Field Rifle shoot at Camp Atterbury this month.

A few years ago, I started myself on a journey with the end goal to actually shoot a CMP match with an M1 rifle. I began with regular attendance in Project Appleseed's and later Revere's Riders basic rifle class. This year I'm taking it up a notch and will be attending Revere's Riders Field Rifle Class where I will be shooting the actual distances and similar courses of fire.

In practicing last Saturday at Crawfordsville, I realized I am still a very long way from being ready to shoot with the grownups at Camp Perry. I figure that my goal for February is to get 50% of my rounds on paper and to not be "that guy" during the courses of fire.

So anyway...back to the article(...which could have easily been titled "How Not to be 'That Guy' at Camp Perry"). It covered the appropriate practice, common equipment malfunctions, many things taken for granted by the weekend shooter, information on pit duty and scoring and offered lots of suggestions for learning resources.

I have often mentioned on this forum what a great value is membership in the Garand Collector's Association. But, it never ceases to amaze me the irony and timeliness of their articles. Last year in May, I came home with my first M1D. A month later, the Summer 2016 GCA Journal arrived with a detailed article about the Toole Depot building M1Ds for the Vietnam war. It turned out the M1D I purchased was one of those rifles. And now, a few weeks before my first field rifle shoot, an article that will help my efforts to not be 'that guy'.

For my fellow Revere's Riders Field Rifle attendees in a couple weeks, I will be bringing some copies of this article. There is a wealth of information on those three pages.

Top Bottom