• ...and so much more!
  • EXLINE

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    Hendricks Co.
    https://www.mossberg.com/product/590-shockwave-6-shot-50659/

I searched and did not find another thread for this. I'm excited because I was going to build one of these and then saw they were going to make it factory and cost a lot less money. These are the 14 inch barrel non nfa mossberg with raptor grip to give it that sawed off look but have a 26" oal so it's considered a firearm and not a shotgun. So question. Indiana law on vehicle carry? I know if I conceal it then becomes a aow under fed law. Also, mossberg announced 2 factory aow firearms as well with 7.5 and 10.25 barrels. Like I said didn't see this posted. Saw buds already has the non nfa for under 400. I'm sure lgs will have them soon.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    amazing, that is what my old Maverick looked like when I finished changing it, same PGF and all. Was cheaper too.

Still is a cool looking piece, I feel validated now that they are making them from the factory this way. :)

EXLINE

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    Hendricks Co.
    Anyone know the legality of possessing in vehicle? Can it be in my car loaded? I know the laws for everything else just wasn't sure if "firearm" is different.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Anyone know the legality of possessing in vehicle? Can it be in my car loaded? I know the laws for everything else just wasn't sure if "firearm" is different.

If you have a LTCH.

Doesn't Indiana Law classify that as a handgun, needing a license?

Yes.
    IC 35-47-1-6
    "Handgun"
    Sec. 6. "Handgun" means any firearm:
    (1) designed or adapted so as to be aimed and fired from one (1)
    hand, regardless of barrel length; or
    (2) any firearm with:
    (A) a barrel less than sixteen (16) inches in length; or
    (B) an overall length of less than twenty-six (26) inches.

Here is a court case where a guy was found guilty for carrying a handgun w/o a license for a pistol grip only shotgun.
    Johnny Estep v. State of Indiana :: 1999 :: Indiana Court of Appeals Decisions :: Indiana Case Law :: Indiana Law :: U.S. Law :: Justia

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Doesn't Indiana Law classify that as a handgun, needing a license?

I think the federal government classifies that as a pistol, the box should have the "the sticker" on it!

the one that's says the purchaser must be 21, and that the dealer must mark handgun on the 4473 just like the pistol grip 500 persuader box has, theres no way to fire the shotgun from the shoulder, therefor it is considered a pistol.

the government is really screwed up on this one!, if the shotgun has a stock attached, and a pistol grip in the box, a dealer can sell to under 21, or we can sell a separate pistol grip to a person under 21 BUT if its attached at the factory, its a "hand gun"

loganbf03

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 1, 2008
    I think the federal government classifies that as a pistol, the box should have the "the sticker" on it!

the one that's says the purchaser must be 21, and that the dealer must mark handgun on the 4473 just like the pistol grip 500 persuader box has, theres no way to fire the shotgun from the shoulder, therefor it is considered a pistol.

the government is really screwed up on this one!, if the shotgun has a stock attached, and a pistol grip in the box, a dealer can sell to under 21, or we can sell a separate pistol grip to a person under 21 BUT if its attached at the factory, its a "hand gun"

its gonna be marked "OTHER" its not a shotgun its not a pistol.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    that's funny, cause on the box of every one I've sold has a sticker saying that the 4473 must be marked "handgun" and the buyer must be over 21

The federal definition of shotgun includes that is intended to be fired from the shoulder.

The term “shotgunmeans a weapon designed or redesigned, made or remade, and intended to be fired from the shoulder and designed or redesigned and made or remade to use the energy of an explosive to fire through a smooth bore either a number of ball shot or a single projectile for each single pull of the trigger.

18 U.S.C. sec. 921.

Never having had a full stock, I don't know how this can be said of this weapon. Also:

The term “handgun” means--
    (A) a firearm which has a short stock and is designed to be held and fired by the use of a single hand; and
    (B) any combination of parts from which a firearm described in subparagraph (A) can be assembled.

18 U.S.C.A. § 921

The question becomes is it having a "short stock" and being capable of being fired by one hand mean it was "designed to be held and fired by the use of a single hand"....but if we are going to parse that closely, I'd like a survey of how often .500 S&W Magnums of .500 Linebaughs are fired with one hand. Probably about as often as this thing.

That being said, it's interesting but for me, it is in the category of "why"?

Last edited:

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    Having done this to a Mossy500 Cruiser, when I bought it, never had a shoulder stock from the factory, my FFL marked it as a handgun. I asked him about that since I sure wasn't gonna shoot it one handed and he said, "Let me worry about that" so I did.

In any case I shortened the barrel to 14" and carried it in my carr all the time and was never given any guff by any LEO here in Terre Haute, even during traffic stops.

IDK what the law actually says though and I am not an authority on any of this stuff. I sold the old shottie and am thinking I will get one of these. Already asked my LGS what he'd want for it too and it was considerably less than MSRP. :)

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    I've only ever seen stockless shotguns as a sort of hideout close quarters weapons and not for any practical combat purposes other than tactical teams use them for door breaching.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    I asked my local FFL today and he told me this is a pistol. I asked him to be sure, called Mossberg...They told him to run it as a pistol.
    As soon as I can get one, I will have one.

Top Bottom