• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Small's

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    south of Indy
    Do they wand you going in or make you go through a metal dectector? Im sure they are a gun free zone but didn't know how they check. Getting past wand wouldnt be to hard but a detector would probably be a no go. Couldnt find anything on pocket knifes either.. Dont want to have to walk back to the car just for having a knife.

canterbc

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 13, 2012
    Noblesville
    I haven't been to Lucas Oil in a while, since before I carried and worried about such things. I know Banker's Life makes everybody go through detectors, I would imagine Lucas Oil is the same. For NFL games pocket knives are a no-go I believe. Don't know about other events there.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Every time I have been to Lucas Oil Stadium and Banker's Life Field house, I have been asked to open my jacket or pull up my shirt and then wanded. Even at Monster Jam IIRC.

Years and years ago, I went to a Grateful Dead show at the then Deer Creek music center.
    They were wanding people at the gate.
    A buddy was stopped when his fanny pack caused the wand to beep.
    He opened the zippered pouch and pulled out a set of binoculars.
    Security waved him through.
    Once seated, he poked me and said, "Look here", gesturing to the fanny pack.
    He unzipped a side zipper on the pack and pulled a J-frame Rossi .357 into view.

They saw the binoculars, and felt that was enough to set off the wand.
    Never bothered to recheck...

I'm not advocating anything.
    Just food for thought.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    For what event?

The NFL is super paranoid. Other events, not so much. Went to the Monster Trucks a while back, and I guarantee it was the best protected event in all of Indy that weekend.

Xrage

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2014
    NWI
    I have been carrying everyday of my adult life and i firmly support the second amendment, but being a responsible gun owner means
    following the rules even if you don't always agree with them.

Whenever i go to a sporting event or concert that has metal detectors i leave my gun in my car.

If you sneak a weapon into a stadium and an unarmed argument or fistfight breaks out and you pull out your gun, YOU are the bad guy.

If you want to try to get the laws changed i'm all for it, but until that happens we don't need someone who doesn't respect the laws
    endangering me or my kids in a weapon free sporting event.

Last edited:

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I have been carrying everyday of my adult life and i firmly support the second amendment, but being a responsible gun owner means
    following the rules even if you don't always agree with them.

Whenever i go to a sporting event or concert that has metal detectors i leave my gun in my car.

If you sneak a weapon into a stadium and an unarmed argument or fistfight breaks out and you pull out your gun, YOU are the bad guy.

If you want to try to get the laws changed i'm all for it, but until that happens we don't need someone who doesn't respect the laws

Wether it's poor judgement or not is up to that person. but generally (unless a school etc) no gun signs do not carry the weight of law IE you are not breaking a law but the property owner/representative can ask you to A take your firearm out or B leave all together. If you refuse police will show up and ask once more and if you refuse criminal trespass charges. Which is about you not leaving the property due to their rules and not the Firearm. I k ow it is Lawyer ball but that's the IC.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    It is not illegal to carry at a sporting event in Indiana. Even NFL games. As a matter of fact, Lucas Oil and the Convention Center specifically say that they fallow State Law on this matter. They MUST, as they are run/owned by the City. See page 20 of this:
    http://www.lucasoilstadium.com/pdf/ICCLOSFacilityGuide.pdf

Event organizers can have POLICIES, but those are a far cry from a LAW.

I can't see how my firearm endangers you or your kids at a sporting event any more than it endangers you or your kid anywhere else in the world.

Yes, I'm still working to return IC to something a bit more Constitutional. In the meantime, I follow the current law and my own policy.

Side note: we are our own worst enemy.

Bybo

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 7, 2017
    Lawrenceburg
    If you carry and they find it, you will have to leave it in your car. Just like am oversized handbag. That doesn't make it illegal. You won't go to jail.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    for any NFL event I've been to they were full metal detectors.

Now, I've been to the Monster Jam with my son for 4 years or more in a row. Every year, except this year, we went in through the convention center tunnel and there were no wands or anything, they did check purses. So no issues for me, but this year we parked in a different spot and went in through the regular outside entrance and it was full metal detector and wands. Luckily I thought ahead and left my knife and carry in the truck!

Side note: for the FDIC show every year there is NOTHING anywhere. That convention is in the convention center and in Lucas Oil and as long as you have credentials you can come and go as you please.

Sam Wheeler

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2016
    Indianapolis
    This past football season they were wanding at the east entrance to the building but had walk through detectors at the west. I went to an early game and entered on the west side of the stadium which is rare for me. When I saw the walk through detectors I assumed the next game I would see them at the east side gate but that was not the case. Last time I was there was for the January 1 game and entered on the east side and still no walk through's.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Updating this as Lucas Oil does now have full walk through metal detectors for this upcoming season.

The wife and I took the kids there today for an open practice and to watch the movie "Sing" on the field afterwords. The metal detectors were in place but weren't turned on today. I'm sure they will be during game days.

dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Just West of Indianapolis
    Bring this back up as we are going to the U2 concert Sunday. Guessing they have detectors. Anyone got more info on this? Never been to the Stadium. Doubt wife will bring purse to carry inside with.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    Future reference: ishaa state football championship games the metal detectors are covered, no wands. Announcer on a loop saying no bags... will b searched but nothing.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Any updates on metal detectors? We'll be attending the Monster Jam in February and wondering how I should approach this.

Top Bottom