• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 1988-4551

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Feb 20, 2012
    I remember reading about it, its on state property so I think it'll be a similar set up to Atterbury

bb37

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    North of US40
    The photos on Facebook look fabulous. Nice new everything. I believe they will have 25 yard, 50 yard, and 100 yard ranges. The "pro shop" is an interesting idea. I sure hope that they lengthen the operating hours once the summer months get here. Closing at 5pm will severely limit the opportunities to use the range for most people.

As Dan says, the proof will be in how the range is actually run.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Went out there for the "grand opening" event today. I'd guess around 50 people in attendance. Looks very nice and similar to Atterbury although fewer lanes. Talked to a guy in the pro shop. He has four different Dillon machines set up and is a Dillon dealer. Said he will also be processing brass. The Governor and his wife were there. She fired the ceremonial first shots on the range. Looked like 10-25-50-100 yard lanes. Nice sturdy tables at the 50 and 100. It also happened to be Mrs. Holcomb's birthday. I'm pretty sure the cake is all gone.

bb37

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    North of US40
    I got a reply back from the Deer Creek web site. Winter hours are 11:00 am to 5:00 pm Wednesday-Sunday, closed Monday-Tuesday. Summer hours are Wednesday-Friday 11:00 am to 8:00 pm, Saturday-Sunday 9:00 am to 5:00 pm, closed Monday-Tuesday. I do not know when they'll switch from winter to summer. Hopefully, as soon as sundown goes past 8 pm as the range does not appear to have sufficient artificial lighting to be used after dark.

Is the range being operated by DNR employees or did DNR contract operations out to someone else? I find it interesting that the pro shop is running a reloading operation. That would seem to be a bit of a money-maker for the operators.

Nice coincidence that the range's grand opening and Indiana Governor's dedication coincided with the Indiana First Lady's birthday. According to one report I read, she is a "certified" firearms instructor. In photos I saw, both the gov and his wife seemed comfortable handling firearms.

Top Bottom