Neat footage of the US Navy firing exercise....

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    It sounds like a chainsaw.

Many years ago I watched some A-10s working the range at Atterbury, first time to see them using weapons. We were pumped up to be able to observe this, American's premiere tank-killer aircraft. We were expecting, I dunno, an earthshattering kaboom I guess. When the first one came in and fired, it sounded like a high pressure...fart. Funny, but sort of a let down.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Brrrrt!

Never seen those in action. Pretty awesome.

The A-10's are awesome. It's a strange sound, but you can feel it in the ground a mile or so away.

fullauto 45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   1
    Dec 27, 2008
    SE Indy
    Go to Knob Creek this spring and watch and listen to the mini guns. It will give a chub just listening to them going off.
    And yes, the A-10's use to cruise over Swee****er lake in the early 70's and make runs on the range at Atterbury. I watched them come in so low and upside down the pilots would wave at us on the boats.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Go to Knob Creek this spring and watch and listen to the mini guns. It will give a chub just listening to them going off.
    And yes, the A-10's use to cruise over Sweet water lake in the early 70's and make runs on the range at Atterbury. I watched them come in so low and upside down the pilots would wave at us on the boats.
    FTFY

Apparently, t water is forbidden.

masterdekoy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Columbus
    When I was in Iraq they used phalanxes to shoot down mortars shot at LSA Anaconda. Remember being on patrol at night a couple of times when they went off. Pretty impressive fireworks. I don't think they were very effective as the mortars would still come down on the base even if the phalanx connected.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    And yes, the A-10's use to cruise over Swee****er lake in the early 70's and make runs on the range at Atterbury. I watched them come in so low and upside down the pilots would wave at us on the boats.

I remember a late night on a buddy's boat on Cordry watching for meteors in the big section near the levy. We sat there looking through the trees watching cars slowly come down the hill before they would cross the levy, but they never came. Always down the hill slowly, and would always disappear before they reached the levy.

Then we realized there was no hill.
    Then we realized that direction was atterbury.
    Then it hit us. Illumination flares lighting up the range for exercises. We were watching the white flares drift down and they would disappear behind a hill. Looked just like distant car headlights thru the trees. LOL

And yes, the BRRRRT is anticlimactic by itself. but watching what the rounds do is impressive. God I love that sound.

Last edited:

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    We had a what we called a CIWS (Close-In Weapon System) on the fantail of the Knox class frigate I served on.
    I had no video camera, but I did tape the audio of it firing, along with our 5"/54 caliber gun.
    Makes me nostalgic just thinking about it.

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    I was in the MarDet on a carrier in the 70's. Watched the F14 Tomcats and their 20 MM Gatling doing live fire when on the USS JFK. We towed a target behind, they would roll in, first you saw the smoke from the guns, then the impact of the rounds, finally heard the guns. It was all out of sequence.

Neat, and they never missed.

Don

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    The big inflatable target they are launching off the fantail is known as a killer tomato. ;)

Ayup
    The only time that we fired out MK42 (5"/54 caliber gun) in local control (no gun director) was with a tomato.
    Sadly, I wasn't sitting in the bubble of Mount 51 on that particular day. :(

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    On my last cruise when the small boys would do a gunex the CO of the carrier would kick out a killer tomato so he could play with his cheese wiz. He hated to be left out. ;)

Top Bottom