• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • poweraddict

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 25, 2010
    Greenfield
    I was wondering where you guys would recommend buying ar parts from. I would like to spend my money locally, but I want to go to places that have a large selection of parts(not just the premium stuff). I'm looking to finish my ar build this weekend. All I have left to buy is the gas tube, maybe a different gas block (I'm debating on going stainless) a flash hider, a free float handguard, and possibly a different grip and stock setup.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    US Defense solutions is good, but I dont know the extent of their parts selection. (They typically have some, but I wouldnt call them huge)

The most I have seen personally is Elmore's in Greenwood. But I'll never set foot in there again. Its a giant ashtray full of chain smokers and no ventilation, and after only 5 minutes in the shop you leave smelling like you spent the whole night dancing at a nightclub. Disgusting. Plus the owner has zero customer service skills and will act inconvenienced if you dare to ask him a question as he sits on his a** next to the cash register shooting the breeze with a friend. Glad he had the part I needed ASAP, But never again.

Good luck!

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Since you're in Greenfield try J&M. I know they have some decent stuff they build at gun sows but haven't been to their store. Otherwise I'd try US Defense Solutions in Greenwood, Plainfield Shooting Supplies in, well, Plainfield and Fort Liberty in Avon. I know Fort Liberty has tubes and gas blocks as well as pretty much every part you would need. I'd go to FL first and then the others afterward.
    I agree with Camera Monkey in not going to Elmore's. I don't even consider them when I'm looking for a gun or part.

You also might try going to the Greenfield Gun Show this weekend. You might find everything you need there.

Dan

tetter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 13, 2014
    United States
    US Defense solutions is good, but I dont know the extent of their parts selection. (They typically have some, but I wouldnt call them huge)

The most I have seen personally is Elmore's in Greenwood. But I'll never set foot in there again. Its a giant ashtray full of chain smokers and no ventilation, and after only 5 minutes in the shop you leave smelling like you spent the whole night dancing at a nightclub. Disgusting. Plus the owner has zero customer service skills and will act inconvenienced if you dare to ask him a question as he sits on his a** next to the cash register shooting the breeze with a friend. Glad he had the part I needed ASAP, But never again.

Good luck!

Ha thanks for the review

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I too believe in buying local. However, I have never found the parts I need at a LGS except by random chance. Especially for the AR, there just is such a plethora of "stuff", that I depend on Brownells for most of my parts. They are pretty quick in getting the new to the market stuff too. Everybody wants to get their stuff in the Brownells catalog/website.

I have been buying from them for so long, over 25 years, that MidwayUSA and Brownells feel like local to me...

But I live near Ft Wayne. Not Indy.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Point Blank in Carmel has been growing the AR parts since they opened. I would think the Greenwood store would be comparable.

It isn't like ARs R Us or anything, but every time I go in, it seems like they have more diversity of products for the AR.

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    I was wondering where you guys would recommend buying ar parts from. I would like to spend my money locally, but I want to go to places that have a large selection of parts(not just the premium stuff). I'm looking to finish my ar build this weekend. All I have left to buy is the gas tube, maybe a different gas block (I'm debating on going stainless) a flash hider, a free float handguard, and possibly a different grip and stock setup.
    I only have one AR, and it is a Del Ton. I have only ordered spare and backup parts from them. I just want to use their stuff on their gun.

poweraddict

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 25, 2010
    Greenfield
    We have those parts in stock; come check us out!

Thank! I did stop in, but I stopped in at a peak time with numerous customers and I had my 6 year old daughter with me who was tired from spending the day at the Children's museum. Your have a really nice place and I will have to stop in again soon!

poweraddict

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 25, 2010
    Greenfield
    Since you're in Greenfield try J&M. I know they have some decent stuff they build at gun sows but haven't been to their store. Otherwise I'd try US Defense Solutions in Greenwood, Plainfield Shooting Supplies in, well, Plainfield and Fort Liberty in Avon. I know Fort Liberty has tubes and gas blocks as well as pretty much every part you would need. I'd go to FL first and then the others afterward.
    I agree with Camera Monkey in not going to Elmore's. I don't even consider them when I'm looking for a gun or part.

You also might try going to the Greenfield Gun Show this weekend. You might find everything you need there.

Dan
    I've actually bought a few things from J&M including my lower. I was actually in there a couple months ago and ran into one of my former coworkers and it turns out she is one of the owners.
    That being said up until a couple of days before the original post I've never had an issue with the owner or one of the salesmen selling me ar parts until this last visit. The salesman told me that they had the gas tube and the flash hider in Stock but that they are to only be used by their builders for the l rifles that they were going to build to sell and that they don't sell those items to customers. It was pretty off-putting. Especially when I bought my gas block and a few other parts and the owner offered to sell me a gas tube then, but I wasn't sure what barrel length I was going with yet so I didn't buy it. I've had the owner tell me before that he keeps stuff in the back and doesn't put it in the display because he gets a lot of people that come in and buy a large quantity of the cheaper parts and then they turn around and build rifles and sell them at the same gun shows that he has a both at... I can understand not having the cheaper lowers and such up front but I don't understand why they wouldn't be willing to sell parts

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    I've actually bought a few things from J&M including my lower. I was actually in there a couple months ago and ran into one of my former coworkers and it turns out she is one of the owners.
    That being said up until a couple of days before the original post I've never had an issue with the owner or one of the salesmen selling me ar parts until this last visit. The salesman told me that they had the gas tube and the flash hider in Stock but that they are to only be used by their builders for the l rifles that they were going to build to sell and that they don't sell those items to customers. It was pretty off-putting. Especially when I bought my gas block and a few other parts and the owner offered to sell me a gas tube then, but I wasn't sure what barrel length I was going with yet so I didn't buy it. I've had the owner tell me before that he keeps stuff in the back and doesn't put it in the display because he gets a lot of people that come in and buy a large quantity of the cheaper parts and then they turn around and build rifles and sell them at the same gun shows that he has a both at... I can understand not having the cheaper lowers and such up front but I don't understand why they wouldn't be willing to sell parts

That is pretty strange. I'd go back and speak with him about it. I've never had a problem with James or his wife. The 1500 is this weekend and you can find all the parts you will need there.
    Dan

poweraddict

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 25, 2010
    Greenfield

That is pretty strange. I'd go back and speak with him about it. I've never had a problem with James or his wife. The 1500 is this weekend and you can find all the parts you will need there.
    Dan

It won't stop me from going there because Mimi is an awesome person, but it did make take my business elsewhere on that occasion.

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    It won't stop me from going there because Mimi is an awesome person, but it did make take my business elsewhere on that occasion.

I agree we chatted for a good while today at the 1500. I dind't buy anything as I pretty much didn't buy anything except a couple of small parts. She still makes time to chat every time I see her.
    Dan

Top Bottom