Can you *legally* purchase a firearm if you wouldn't pass a NICS check?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rbhargan

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 30, 2012
    Carmel/Liberty
    First, I am NOT interested in stirring up a sh*t storm (although, being INGO, that will probably be where this thread heads). Very simple question - if a person would NOT be able to pass a NICS check, and they then purchase a firearm from a private seller, has the purchaser committed a crime?

Followup questions.
    - If the seller *knows* the purchaser is an alcohol "abuser," uses marijuana, has a history of domestic violence, or any other offense that would preclude them from passing a NICS check, is the seller in violation of the law?

I would appreciate a 24 hour period of reasoned response before the thread takes the inevitable turn towards chaos and acrimony. :):

Jeepster48439

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Marion County
    I think you already know the answers.

First, I am NOT interested in stirring up a sh*t storm (although, being INGO, that will probably be where this thread heads). Very simple question - if a person would NOT be able to pass a NICS check, and they then purchase a firearm from a private seller, has the purchaser committed a crime?

Illegal possession of a handgun?

Followup questions.
    - If the seller *knows* the purchaser is an alcohol "abuser," uses marijuana, has a history of domestic violence, or any other offense that would preclude them from passing a NICS check, is the seller in violation of the law?

Yes.

IANAL. Any of the INGO legaltypes feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    35-47-2-1: prohibition of person convicted of Domestic Violence from carrying/possessiong handgun

35-47-2-7: level 5 felony to sell a handgun or "assault weapon" to someone you know is prohibited from possessing either.

My advice, don't do it if you are the prohibited person or the seller.

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    I will point out, however, that getting a "NO" from an NICS check is not necessarily an indication that the person is a prohibited person under the law. For example former President Obama (I like the sound of that) required that individuals receiving assistance with their Social Security benefits were to be reported to the NICS. These people are NOT necessarily prohibited by any law or other due process of law. So my opinion would be that they would be perfectly legal to posses or purchase a firearm. Being prohibited, unlawfully in my view, from purchasing at an FFL, what law would they be breaking by buying from an individual? This, of course, assumes that they are truly a "proper person."

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    You are going to have to specific as to why you can't pass a NICS check, but outside of an erroneous return generally it is going to be unlawful.

It isn't unlawful for you to buy a gun because of a NICS return, it is unlawful for you to buy the gun because of federal statutes classifying you as a prohibited person. 18 USC 922 is the federal statute generally in question. If you knowingly sell to a person prohibited under it, you would likely be in direct violation of the law or considered a conspirator.

The big exception I would think is the 21-year-old requirement to buy a handgun from an FFL. However, I don't think that is part of the NICS check.

Top Bottom