How does your LGS call in a background check ?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    I'm in and out of my LGS in less than 10 min when he calls it in. Had a few computers take 15-20min.

Dutch68

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2015
    apt
    I use 2 FFL persons , neither of which have a brick & mortar store. 1 uses phone call-in , the other uses a computer. To me it seems like they both take about the same time (10-15 minutes).

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth

MohawkSlim

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2015
    15th Street, Bedford
    They're working on the NICS system so some days the computer runs awesome, others it takes forever. Upside of more computer checks is the phone checks are way faster than they used to be.

The computer check isn't hard but there are a lot of boxes to fill and quirks. I reckon average "clerks" at gun counters (RK, Gander, etc) struggle to give enough effs to learn the system and become efficient. For them, the phone is much faster, especially when management complicates the process with printing and signing.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Realistically, both methods use a computer. The only real difference is that when the check is phoned in, someone on the other end of the line types the info in as it's read to them. If the NCIS check system is running well and not overloaded, the direct method can be much quicker. All of my check done in the last year have been via a computer check and most are done within a minute or two. In a couple of cases, I was surprised at just how quick it happened as I'm used to it taking 4 or 5 minutes to call it in.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    mine uses a computer to do the check. hasn't effected how long it takes nor have I been delayed since they changed last year from using the phone.

ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    I don't know about the new system(rolled out mid August, 2016), before I became a citizen, I always ask the store to call in, because I was always delayed.

When you do online background check, you got 3 possible results: Proceed, Deny or Delay.

When call-in, there are 4: Proceed, Deny, Delay and Further Review. The people who answer the NICS phones are contractors at call center, they are not ATF agents, they would transfer the call to an actual agent when "Further Review" is required. I can count on at least 4 occasions, I was put on Further Review and then cleared to Proceed in few minutes, instead of being delayed for days.

Now I'm a citizen, I don't get delayed any more either way.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I get the further review most of the time, so waiting 30 minutes doesn't sound unusual. I got a 3 day delay,once.

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    Most all around here have started using the computer. I never have to wait long, nor did I when they were using the phone.
    A buddy of mine always takes 20-30 minutes, whether it be phone or computer. He was told it was because of a Top Secret clearance from his Military days. :dunno:

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    I always get proceeded without further review on a phone call in.

Last several purchases were online. But a few I'm not sure. They did it in the back.

Top Bottom