• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • reno

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2009
    Indiana
    I will be flying later this week and am just curious about any new issues with flying with firearms. I will be flying American Airlines.

What should I expect time wise? I've heard not to use TSA locks, That true? Locks that only I have the key for?

Hard case, separate or in my suitcase?

Thanks,

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    Hard case, padlock that only you have the key, in your luggage. You have to declare it when you check your bag and fill out a form. They then tape the form to the top of your hard case and close the suitcase. You will have to check your bag, I think it's $25 at American.

They then give you a form that you present to the TSA after clearing the metal detectors. Indy is the only place I have seen that makes you present the form to the TSA, I have no idea why???

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    Last time I knew it had to be tsa lock check tsa website and your airlines. I use tsa approved combination lock never have had an issue.

I fly a couple times a month, I just use a $5 Masterlock I bought at Kroger.

It used to be that they had you open the case to show it was unloaded, but that stopped a year or so ago. It's really no hassle at Indy, as I said, I do it all the time.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Check TSA website AND AA website.
    In my experience, I've used non-tsa locks, and they thanked me for it (said they dont want anyone but me to have access).
    Locking hard case, they have even checked to see if corners lift up enough to access anything, even with locks on. Again, wanting to prohibit access to ALL unauthorized folks, even TSA and airport employees.

No loose ammo, must be either in box or container (I've never left mags loaded, tho I've heard that's ok as long as it's not in the gun -- for example keeping 3 pistol mags loaded next to pistol inside locking hardcase. VERIFY THIS BEFORE DOING)
    I believe you can have up to 8 lbs of ammo, and no weight limit on guns -- again, this is from my experience. They've never weighed my long gun case. I've carried 1 rifle and 2 handguns, with ammo for each, in ONE big long gun case.

As per descriptions on their rules, you can put the hardcase inside another case (it doesn't have to be checked individually) - i.e. a small, locking handgun case inside of a large suitcase is ok. Again, verify if this applies to you.

With all that said, TSA guidelines and AA website will provide the specifics necessary, also make reference to your destination's and layover state laws!! As a heads up, if u travel to states with restrictions (round count, types of firearms, types of ammo, etc) DONT take anything that could get you in trouble - EVEN IF YOURE ONLY DOING A LAYOVER IN SUCH A STATE. Seems extreme, but if you had to claim and recheck your luggage (for a cancelled flight, etc) then you can become an instant felon.

Last edited:

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    I've flown out of IND, Detroit, Denver, and Salt Lake City -- they all do it slightly differently but, for the most part, try to make it quick and easy. I've only had 1 guy that wasn't very helpful (though not fully antagonistic), out of about 11 or 12 trips. In fact, most of them have talked about calibers, brands, reloading, etc if/when they look over the items in the case.
    If I remember right, Indy's verification happens behind the scenes, so they only call for you (with your keys!) if something "pops" on their scanner. I had a 325 rd value-pack of Remington Goldenbullet .22 trip their scanner so they had to inspect inside the case. I think in general they don't want to open it unless they have to as per their protocol.

As always, I am not a lawyer, please verify all this. I've found that phone calls with the airlines can be helpful, though they usually just read me - verbatim - the same info that I've found online. The only tricky part is that each company does it a little different while complying with TSA guidelines and state laws.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I just flew from IND to Vegas with American Airlines and checked my firearm.

I used a hardcase with a padlock, and broke the pistol down into slide and frame components in their own slots in the foam, making it easier to verify it was unloaded. In a separate case, one with a cable lock I use at hotels anyway, I put the magazines and a box of ammunition. I used the cable to secure both boxes to the interior frame of the luggage, then locked the suitcase (built in TSA locks).

The gate agent for AA had me open the box and show it was unloaded, then dropped the "unloaded" card in my luggage. The guy in Vegas put it inside the locked case, which I suspect is wrong, but didn't cause any issues. IND put it loose in the suitcase.

I had to tell a TSA supervisor I'd checked a gun at IND. There was no requirement to do so in Vegas. The supervisor only asked me how much time had elapsed, I told her, and she said if there was an issue they'd have paged me by now so I was good.

AA will make you get the bag from the office, not from the baggage claim belt. This is actually an improvement, IMO. No more sticker that says "Firearm inside" and your bag rolling around in public view. Now it just gets a tag like it's lost luggage being returned and you show a photo ID and take it. It caused a slight delay in Vegas, it was ready as soon as my other bags hit the belt in IND.

You are supposed to use a NON-TSA lock on the firearm box and a TSA lock on the luggage.

AA wants you to use a factory container for the ammunition and no ammunition in the magazines.

Joniki

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NE Indiana
    I just flew from IND to Vegas with American Airlines and checked my firearm.

I used a hardcase with a padlock, and broke the pistol down into slide and frame components in their own slots in the foam, making it easier to verify it was unloaded. In a separate case, one with a cable lock I use at hotels anyway, I put the magazines and a box of ammunition. I used the cable to secure both boxes to the interior frame of the luggage, then locked the suitcase (built in TSA locks).

The gate agent for AA had me open the box and show it was unloaded, then dropped the "unloaded" card in my luggage. The guy in Vegas put it inside the locked case, which I suspect is wrong, but didn't cause any issues. IND put it loose in the suitcase.

I had to tell a TSA supervisor I'd checked a gun at IND. There was no requirement to do so in Vegas. The supervisor only asked me how much time had elapsed, I told her, and she said if there was an issue they'd have paged me by now so I was good.

AA will make you get the bag from the office, not from the baggage claim belt. This is actually an improvement, IMO. No more sticker that says "Firearm inside" and your bag rolling around in public view. Now it just gets a tag like it's lost luggage being returned and you show a photo ID and take it. It caused a slight delay in Vegas, it was ready as soon as my other bags hit the belt in IND.

You are supposed to use a NON-TSA lock on the firearm box and a TSA lock on the luggage.

AA wants you to use a factory container for the ammunition and no ammunition in the magazines.

I never thought of breaking the handgun down. Great idea!

Dirty Steve

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2011
    Danville
    If TSA opens the case, make dang sure they actually lock it back when they are done. I flew out of Indy several years ago with two long guns in a pelican case. I met TSA at the shakedown room and gave them my key. They unlocked the case and then gave me the key back. They inspected the contents, commented "Nice rifles", then shut the case and told me I was good to go. When I landed in Denver and picked up my case I found the lock dangling from the case. They never locked it back after coonfingering my stuff. Shame on me for not inspecting the case after they got done with it. Shame on them for being so careless with 5K worth of stuff.

Dirty Steve

Joniki

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NE Indiana
    I have to add this to this thread. I frequently fly with a firearm and follow the rules.

I went to Midway on Thursday and declared my firearm and checked bag at the counter. After I checked in, the ticket agent walked me and my bag down to TSA. They asked me to open my bag and they checked it for explosives. They never asked me to unlock my Pelican case.

I flew from Midway to Tucson and then to Las Vegas. When I arrived in Vegas, my TSA approved locks had been cut off of my checked bag. There was a nice note from the TSA in my bag.....

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    I flew from Midway to Tucson and then to Las Vegas. When I arrived in Vegas, my TSA approved locks had been cut off of my checked bag. There was a nice note from the TSA in my bag.....

Wow, that is crazy. Just to be clear however, the gun case was fine, right? I have heard they do that "randomly" (whatever that means), but have never heard of it actually being done before.

I just flew round trip from Indy to Fort Myers, FL on Southwest airlines without any issues, although as mentioned already, Indy airport makes you give a slip to the TSA supervisor after you go through the security check in.

GNRPowdeR

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bartholomew Co.

IMO, I'd call and ask up the food chain about this happening. If the locks were TSA approved and still cut off, this should be a major break in protocol.

Joniki

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NE Indiana
    Wow, that is crazy. Just to be clear however, the gun case was fine, right? I have heard they do that "randomly" (whatever that means), but have never heard of it actually being done before.

I just flew round trip from Indy to Fort Myers, FL on Southwest airlines without any issues, although as mentioned already, Indy airport makes you give a slip to the TSA supervisor after you go through the security check in.

Yes, the gun case was still locked. The TSA locks had been cut off my checked bag and placed inside of it. I have to assume this happened in Chicago because my bag remained in the aircraft hold until I got into Vegas.

Joniki

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NE Indiana
    IMO, I'd call and ask up the food chain about this happening. If the locks were TSA approved and still cut off, this should be a major break in protocol.

I didn't find this until I picked up my bag at the airport in Vegas. I had a sinking feeling as soon as I saw the locks missing but everything was fine.

Top Bottom