• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    There is a young female at work that wants to get her carry permit, and buy a handgun for carry. She`s new to firearms, so when she came to me asking for advice, I suggested:

Go somewhere that will allow her to handle as many handguns as possible, both wheel guns and semi-autos so she can see what "feels right" for her. I suggested she also needs to determine whether she has the hand strength to even rack the slide of a semi-auto. I recommended that she ideally visit a place that will let her fire several different makes and calibers, and advise her about gun handling safety. I suggested that if she can make it fit her budget, she ought to get basic firearms training which would hopefully include class time as well as range time.

She lives in Hamilton County. What places can she choose from in Hamilton Co., as far as being able to both just browse and handle handguns, as well as shoot, and even set up training?

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    I very highly suggest Indy Arms. They have a great selection and range. Plus the employees are knowledgeable and not pretentious. TFT does their training there so she can sign up for classes with no problems.
    Dan

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    On a side note have you offered to accompany her? Doing so may make her more comfortable.
    Dan

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    I'll admit that I don't get to all the shops around here but from what I have seen I wouldn't send a woman to any of them alone. Good, honest advice is hard to find.

venenoindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Noblesville
    Definitely Tim's is a great place, I took my niece with me there and she was treated very well and she looked at many handguns with no pressure to buy. She actually took one of their basic classes and her mom purchase her first handgun there.

canterbc

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 13, 2012
    Noblesville
    Indy Arms is a little far depending on where she is in Hamilton County, but they have a good rental selection and seem to be pretty stand up guys. Tim's in Westfield is closer, has a pretty decent rental selection and pretty good prices. Point blank will have the biggest selection of firearms to buy, but will probably be the most expensive.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Indy Arms is a great choice if the drive is acceptable. It's the only shop my fiancé felt comfortable buying her handgun at, if that says anything about the store. I would feel comfortable with her going there on her own.

They also offer "Ladies Only" TFT basic handgun classes. Some may find that more comfortable.

Granted, it isn't in Hamilton county so it doesn't really answer your question.

Blindside

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2015
    Columbus
    I second Point Blank if the drive is decent. Their rental is ten bucks and you can switch it out as many times as you want. I have only been to the one in Greenwood but it has been great every time I went. Last time was the first I rented and I went through seven or eight different guns just to try them out. Two legions were must tries as well as a few others.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    Thanks for all the great suggestions and input, it`s greatly appreciated. I will get this information to her so she can begin to plan out her new adventure!

numbaonecoltsfan

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2015
    Mooresville
    I have heard great things about Tim's. Point blank if I'm not mistaken frequently offers free five shot test fires. And also frequently runs deals on bodyguard 380s and m&p shields.

Sling10mm

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    I would have to agree with Kirk. If she isn't familiar with firearms, a class, or several, where she could get good classroom time as well as range time may go a long way. The training classes I have taken always had rental guns available, so if she takes 2-3 classes, and gets a chance to try 2-3 different firearms, then she can make a more informed decision when she goes to test fire and buy one. Just getting more comfortable handling and shooting one will allow her to concentrate more on picking the right firearm instead of worrying about just handling it correctly.

Top Bottom