• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • venenoindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Noblesville
    I'm thinking about putting a AR15 pistol together and doing some research I would like a 11.5 inch barrel, I came across this barrel but what is different is that has a mid length gas set up and don't know if this barrel would work for a pistol. From my research indicate that longer barrels run more reliable in the pistol set up but there is not a whole lot of options with a good price to quality ration, I found a BCM barrel but that is $239.00 and would buy it if I have to but exploring other options.

11.5" GUNNER, 5.56 NATO, Mid-Length, 4150 QPQ - Faxon Firearms

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    11.5” Mid Length Barrel Discussion [Archive] - M4Carbine.net Forums

It is discussed in great detail here. There is another thread on a different site where people really dive into it also. The Faxon guys on the m4 thread though so I thought I'd post it. Looks like you ought to get an adjustable gas block, but it's more than good to go! I'd wouldn't worry about going with their barrel over a BCM. Only reason I'd go BCM is if I was just buying their upper I think.

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    I have that BCM barrel, and it has been 100%, but I would shy away from a mid length gas system in a short barrel unless you definitely plan on an adjustable gas block to get the rifle tuned in. Dwell time is the issue, and more is better with short AR barrels.

venenoindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Noblesville
    I have that BCM barrel, and it has been 100%, but I would shy away from a mid length gas system in a short barrel unless you definitely plan on an adjustable gas block to get the rifle tuned in. Dwell time is the issue, and more is better with short AR barrels.

Faxon recommended to use an adjustable gas block, thanks for your input as I'm learning and all info is very much appreciated.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    I'd run an AGB regardless of the barrel you choose on a custom build; the increase in price is incremental and the ability to properly tune your weapon for function is certainly worth it.

I have a 12.5" Ballistic Advantage barrel and have been pleased with it; they also make 10.5" and 11.5" options.

Top Bottom