• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    I'll be driving from indiana then flying out of o'hare.

While I'm gone, my car will be kept at a friend's home within city of Chicago for couple weeks.

Car will be parked outside. My friends are not gun owners.

Question: can I keep my (hi-capacity LOL) handgun in a locked box in their house? Or I'd be better off leave it at home.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    First question; Are your friends okay with having firearms in their house?

I don't know the legality so my post is pretty worthless :) but since you would only be taking the gun to their home and then heading to airport and such without it, I'd be inclined to just leave it at home. For me, I'm not that concerned about making it from my home to a specific location if I'm not out and about.

But take my comments with a ton of salt. I don't carry all the time anyway. :n00b:

Audie Murphy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    59   3   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Warsaw
    I believe they would need a FOID just to keep it at their home, that's why I haven't kept a gun at the parents house just for when I come and visit

Last edited:

Gundogblue

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2017
    Wabash
    Audie Murphy is absolutely correct, I moved to Indiana from Illinois 18 months ago I lived in a Suburb of Chicago all my life, and the law in Illinois is plain and clear. You can't be in possession of a firearm under any circumstance in Illinois with out holding a valid FOID card. If your friends don't hold a valid FOID card and the cops find out they're in possession of a gun ,they can, AND WILL be charged with fellony possession of a firearm. In Illinois you can't posses, touch, or shoot a gun without a valid FOID card, not even on private private property.
    Paul

lizerdking

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 7, 2012
    Almost on lake Mich
    Audie Murphy is absolutely correct, I moved to Indiana from Illinois 18 months ago I lived in a Suburb of Chicago all my life, and the law in Illinois is plain and clear. You can't be in possession of a firearm under any circumstance in Illinois with out holding a valid FOID card. If your friends don't hold a valid FOID card and the cops find out they're in possession of a gun ,they can, AND WILL be charged with fellony possession of a firearm. In Illinois you can't posses, touch, or shoot a gun without a valid FOID card, not even on private private property.
    Paul

That's just unamerican. I cringed reading that.

Also. Welcome to INGO! :welcome:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana

While I'm gone, my car will be kept at a friend's home within city of Chicago for couple weeks.

Question: can I keep my (hi-capacity LOL) handgun in a locked box in their house? Or I'd be better off leave it at home.

No, as others have told you, you are setting your friends up for a felony rap.

Why not take your pistol with you? Are you going overseas?

crewchief888

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2016
    NWI
    transporting it across the state line may cause some issues as well....
    FWIW without a FOID card you cant buy ANY ammunition in ill.

a few years ago i stopped at a little out of the way gun shop in il, as i walked in the door, i was greeted with "lets see your FOID card."

:alcoholic:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    transporting it across the state line may cause some issues as well....
    FWIW without a FOID card you cant buy ANY ammunition in ill.

Transporting it across the state line is not the problem as it causes no issue whatsoever.

One (non-resident) may buy ammunition in Illinois without a FOID card. You may buy ANY amount of ammunition in Illinois you so choose.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    a few years ago i stopped at a little out of the way gun shop in il, as i walked in the door, i was greeted with "lets see your FOID card."

Remember, gun stores are owned by people who would rather say "No!" than make money.

Those are typical stool sitters. They are morons, but typical in the gun culture.

When I was 18 I went to buy an HK93. With money in my pocket I walked into the gun shoppe ready to order one. The bloated toad on the stool told me through rotten summer teeth that "that thar raffle gon is highly illegal".

I tried to argue, but realized that his fat ass did not want to do any work. Remember, the gun culture is one in which people in it reveal in their ignorance and take great pride in it.

Gundogblue

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2017
    Wabash
    Can't speak for Indiana but while it's true that there's lot of jerks sitting behind the counter at gun shops, there's also a lot of good guys as well, but the one thing they all have in common is they're scared some libral from Cook county is looking for any reason to shut them down. There's a huge gunshop in Plainfield Illinois, and while it's not illegal to own an AR or AK type weapon in Illinois, Cook county has a ban on them In the unincorporated area, and they won't sell one to anyone living in Cook county. I tried to buy an AR from him and he refused the sell, I told him the ban was for the unincorporated areas, and that I live in Tinley Pk, but he wouldn't budge. He told me even though the shop is in Will county he was scared of Chicago. Needless to say after purchasing many handguns from him I stopped doing buisness there. After that when I wanted a gun I just went outside the collar counties.

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    I have to disagree with a couple things here. First the easy one, an Indiana resident may buy ammunition in Illinois by showing an Indiana drivers license. That is legally; some places still won't sell ammo without a FOID but that is their policy not the law. Also one must be an Illinois resident to get a FOID card.
    Now it gets iffy and this is my opinion and we all know what that is worth legally. I do believe you can leave your handgun with an Illinois resident IF it is securely locked in a case and they do not have the key. That way even though the handgun is physically in their home they do not have possession because they cannot open the case. There are felons living in households with firearms that have provisions to secure the firearms in a way the felon does not have access to them. My opinion, take it for what it is worth, Jim.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Indiana doesn't crash into Ohio because Illinois sucks. That is all.

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel

Do not even think about it!!!! Period! leave the weapon out of Illinois. Leaving the gun in the manner you described would make instant felons of the people you left it with. And with the overall anti 2A sentiment in Chicago Land, your people would not stand a chance in court! Don't do it!!!

Gundogblue

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2017
    Wabash
    Read the state statutes Illinois law plainly states YOU CANOT BE IN POCCESION OF A FIREARM WITHOUT HAVING A VALID FOIDCARD. There's nothing in there about a gun in a lock box and residents with no key, or anything like that. As far as ammo sales go if you don't have a valid FOID card you ain't gettin the ammo.

ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    I was gonna buy a gun from a private seller in NWI, I'll have wait till I get back, if it's still there.

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    I thought the law for nonresidents was very clear. You can keep a gun in your car if you aren't in it as long as it is secured. It didn't state you have to be literally next to your car or how long before going back to your car

Top Bottom