• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Crusader17

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2017
    Miami County
    Had my first experience with a squib load today. Shooting 38 specials, from Rose Reloading. I had seen it happen on YouTube before but never first hand experience. A strange sound with little recoil, opened the cylinder of my Colt cobra and couldn't see light through the barrel. Eventually took a look at the muzzle, and saw a copper bullet staring at me. I'm extremely happy I used my better judgement and wanted to make sure it was clear before firing another round. Not sure what might have happened then. Friends helped me clear it. Not sure about buying reloads from any random vendor at a gun show now...

Definitely understand now why they say you need to make sure you've got reliable ammo for self defense, even if it means shooting several boxes of the expensive stuff.
    image.jpg

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    Also important is being able to hear the difference with ear pro and knowing when to stop. I had several 45 squibs in my 4506-1. I found out it was because I let the powder sit all winter and it had clumped.

Sgt7330

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    Rush Co.
    Good judgment and attention pays off. I had this happen while running Perfecta 9mm FMJ last year. My friend was shooting the gun and I heard it. Safety check and there was the bullet, 1/2 way down the barrel

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    I've only seen one. I was the range instructor and probably had a half dozen shooters on line. I didn't hear it, but noticed one shooter trying to clear a malfunction and the slide wouldn't close all the way. I stopped him and found the last round he fired didn't even make it all the way out of the chamber. Luckily for him, the bullet didn't go down the barrel far enough to let the next round chamber or the results would have been quite a bit different.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    Not a lot of experience with it but it the barrel ruined? How would you clear it? It seems like it would get stuck in there pretty tight.

It's no different than any other round other than it doesn't clear the barrel. It's the follow up round (if you fire one) that causes problems. To clear it you can just push it out of the barrel with something.

medcoxo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    Indy, Westside
    Years ago, I had a Glock 17, it was like the first year they were the US. I had a bad set of reloads. I thought it was a simple stove pipe, so cleared it and fired another round. THEN realized something was wrong. Took it to the gunsmith, and he simply used a six inch roofing nail and pushed it out. Back then the s/n on the barrel matched the frame (not sure they do that anymore). Funny, but it did not 'bulge' the barrel or anything. It worked just fine after that.

Crusader17

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2017
    Miami County
    Not a lot of experience with it but it the barrel ruined? How would you clear it? It seems like it would get stuck in there pretty tight.

It was pretty tight, and just hammered it back out. I didn't notice any damage, but I will be making sure nothing is cracked or anything before I load it up again.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    If you shoot enough it's not if you will get a squib it's when. It doesn't matter if you shoot new, commercial reloaded or you loadnyour own it will happen.
    That's another reason to pay attention to what's happening while shooting.

Glad it all worked out for you.

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    I thought that we all knew that there is only one way to clear a squib

omamfciqg1uiper3pdrj.jpg

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    It's no different than any other round other than it doesn't clear the barrel. It's the follow up round (if you fire one) that causes problems. To clear it you can just push it out of the barrel with something.

Brass rod about 12" long
    (I keep one in the range bag just in case)

If and when it happens, be sure to use something to clear it that won't damage your barrel. I would prefer a hardwood dowel or an old section of brass cleaning rod. After that, a thorough cleaning and inspection would be prudent.

Top Bottom