• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    This is total fiction! Why because they have more money than I do. They had lawyers on staff to protect them.
    If had the proof. I would file the lawsuit.

I attended a sporting good store auction Saturday Mar 11th.
    It was held in a tent. In the front of the tent was a table with a projection screen. The auctioneer podium. Along side the tent as you entered was tables. At the beginning was several groups of ammunition. Then all different sporting goods. There was no auctioneer labels.
    Inside the store was all kinds of sporting goods. All had standard sales labels for the store.
    The auction started. Now the projection screen turned green from the computer projector.
    Take note of this. On each side of the screen was green overlap on the tent wall(about 10 foot back).
    Now the auction started. On the screen was top line, LOT XXX#.
    The second and only line was a description of the item.
    Example
    LOT #123
    Brand name caliber bullet weight type and other information you read on the box label.
    What I noticed later was no quantity. (I was explain later.)
    The auctioneer called out a LOT #. Many times there was a suffix LIKE A-B-C-D or part of.
    When he received the last bid. He would ask if the bidder would want the suffixes also.
    If not he opened bidding on the suffixes.
    I got the bid on several calibers of ammo I could use. I also excepted the suffixes at my bid. They were normally 3 suffixes one was 2.
    Now I began to question the integrity of the auction.
    LOT # was for fishing poles. They carried up a group of the same poles.
    That is when the auctioneer asked if the winning bidder wanted all the suffixes of the lot#.
    If NO. The auctioneer took bids on the rest. It was the same with the rest of the fishing gear.
    I started to walk around. I walked the tables I seen earlier with the stacks of Ammo. Someone was moving the piles towards the front.
    I relaxed.
    Then the auctioneer brought up many, many times the exact same ammo in different lots. All with suffixes.
    Then I took notice when the bid was not as high. A employee sitting next to the auctioneer called out someone on the internet bid up. Rarely the internet took the same for a higher bid.
    Several items was bid up over what I think was retail price. By someone I the tent. It was pushed by internet bidders.
    Now the auction was over. When I paid. I received a receipt.
    The receipt stated one box of AMMO per suffix. I had to have a store employee gather my items.
    He walked into the tent and picked out individual box per suffix.
    When I questioned the amount.
    He stated the quantity was up on the screen.
    Now I know what information was stated on the over lap.
    They knew what they did. He had that SH-T EATING GRIN.

Normally when a store had to auction off their stock. It is because they are closing. That store was fully stocked when I left.

I edited out the info that could specifically name this store.
    Discuss as you will but leave location/names out of it please.

-CM-

Last edited by a moderator:

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    I attended a farm auction a few years ago, the auctioneer was so obviously feeding his friends higher priced tools and then some guns that were being sold. I questioned his selling ethics along with one of my Uncle's and we were told we didn't understand how auctions worked.
    He found out shortly that it was one of my Uncle's Aunts property and the auction was shut down before anything left the farm.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    I think anytime an auction gets that confusing it's time to walk away...maybe run. I certainly wouldn't give them any form of payment.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I attend various auctions fairly regularly and there are definitely some shady goings on at some of them. I like to keep an eye on the auctioneer and make sure there is indeed a bidder when the numbers run up quickly, sometimes they're legit but other times they're just seeing how quickly they can raise the price. I've seen one tactic fairly often where they're calling a number but when they acknowledge a bidder it's with the next increment. Watch out for fast talking salesmen no matter what they're selling!

fullauto 45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   1
    Dec 27, 2008
    SE Indy
    I go to a lot of auctions and yep, GHOST BIDDERS. Welcome to the world of scam auctioneers. When it's fast, be careful. I was at an auction a few years ago (15 or longer) and bid on an item. I was standing at the side where I could see everyone. I bid, then the auctioneer pointed at the other end and bid went up. First time, I bid again and then he pointed back to the other end and, boom, bid up. I was watching and never saw anyone raise a hand or nod. I didn't bid again and someone else on the other end said, "Who's bidding besides the guy on the end?" Auctioneer was called out and didn't like it. He said. "Since the bids are in question, we'll start it again." I started the bid way low and nobody else bid. I got my item and left, so did about half the people, pissing and moaning about it as they walked out. Never been back to his auction since. Not sure he's still in business. Not sure I even remember the name.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Was at a gun auction where people were even calling out the shills and pointing to them, left never to return.

Albertson's

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    Warsaw
    Wow! Wasn't an absolute auction, there were reserves/minimus set on almost everything. That being said, lots of people purchased lots of ammo and firearms at WELL under retail prices. Not sure what's fraudulent about that? Please elaborate on what you think the SH-T EATING GRIN might have been for? No complaints from any of the winning bidders that paid under $12/box for Corbon ammo, no sour words from the people that paid less than 1/2 price for all of the streamlight flashlights, not an ill look from anybody that got Kershaw knives for $10/ea either...Maybe Spike Jones 5 2002 should attend a few more auctions before speaking out again?

As always, anybody can feel free to call me at the shop anytime for further discussion.

Kirk Johnson
    Owner
    Albertson's Sport Shop
    574-267-3891

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Wow! Wasn't an absolute auction, there were reserves/minimus set on almost everything. That being said, lots of people purchased lots of ammo and firearms at WELL under retail prices. Not sure what's fraudulent about that? Please elaborate on what you think the SH-T EATING GRIN might have been for? No complaints from any of the winning bidders that paid under $12/box for Corbon ammo, no sour words from the people that paid less than 1/2 price for all of the streamlight flashlights, not an ill look from anybody that got Kershaw knives for $10/ea either...Maybe Spike Jones 5 2002 should attend a few more auctions before speaking out again?

As always, anybody can feel free to call me at the shop anytime for further discussion.

Kirk Johnson
    Owner
    Albertson's Sport Shop
    574-267-3891

Not taking sides, but assuming OP was correct, Maybe your auctioneer should learn how to setup a projector screen? Could have been an honest mistake and personally I'll give them the benefit of the doubt, but how hard is it to "color inside the lines?". My 7yo knows how to properly adjust a projector to fit the screen, so thats a pretty amateur mistake. If you are going to use a tool as a pro, learn how to use it and use it properly.

(Sorry, my anal-retentive AV Geek side comes out when I hear about people who dont know how to line up a projector) :dunno:

EDIT: emphasis added

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    here is a receipt from a recent auction.
    notations far left = ppr
    shg = sportman's G
    C.D. = cheaper than
    BN = brownn

Auction.jpg

copied from Albertson's post " there were reserves/minimus set on almost everything"

No mention before or after.

Last edited:

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Not taking sides, but assuming OP was correct, Maybe your auctioneer should learn how to setup a projector screen? Could have been an honest mistake and personally I'll give them the benefit of the doubt, but how hard is it to "color inside the lines?". My 7yo knows how to properly adjust a projector to fit the screen, so thats a pretty amateur mistake. If you are going to use a tool as a pro, learn how to use it and use it properly.

(Sorry, my anal-retentive AV Geek side comes out when I hear about people who dont know how to line up a projector) :dunno:

EDIT: emphasis added

Yeah, not taking sides either. It does sound like potentially shady things happened at the auction but the OP also has a history of not paying attention to ammo pricing details and jumping to conclusions about being cheated.

jgressley2003

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2011
    Miami County
    I can't speak on what happened, but of the handful of auctions I went to last year 4-5 were Metzger and I was pretty impressed with their auctions. To quote my wife, " these guys mean business," she was very impressed also with them along with another friend of mine. They move quickly so you have to pay attention.

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    The OP's thread description of the auction happenings was hard for me to follow. It sounds like the auction was for a given box of ammo with multiples of the same item available. The common description for multiple items of the same product at many auctions is "will be sold by the piece and x times the money." Win the bid and you purchase one or all of each item at the auction price per item.

If you don't want them all then auctioneers offer the remaining lot to other buyers. If no one is interested then the auctioneer opens the bidding again. The reoffered items can then sell for more, less, or the same amount.

Sounds to me like the OP either didn't understand the terms of the auction or wasn't paying attention to what was being offered. Auctions move fast - especially when there are a lot of items to sell and the item price is relatively low. If your bidding on a 1,000 acre farm there's plenty of time to consider what to bid. When you're bidding on a $10 box of shells you better be ready to bid if you're interested. Th auctioneer isn't going to spend 5 minutes trying to sell a small dollar item.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    The OP's thread description of the auction happenings was hard for me to follow. It sounds like the auction was for a given box of ammo with multiples of the same item available. The common description for multiple items of the same product at many auctions is "will be sold by the piece and x times the money." Win the bid and you purchase one or all of each item at the auction price per item.

If you don't want them all then auctioneers offer the remaining lot to other buyers. If no one is interested then the auctioneer opens the bidding again. The reoffered items can then sell for more, less, or the same amount.

Sounds to me like the OP either didn't understand the terms of the auction or wasn't paying attention to what was being offered. Auctions move fast - especially when there are a lot of items to sell and the item price is relatively low. If your bidding on a 1,000 acre farm there's plenty of time to consider what to bid. When you're bidding on a $10 box of shells you better be ready to bid if you're interested. Th auctioneer isn't going to spend 5 minutes trying to sell a small dollar item.

DITTO!

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    My history is and was well founded.

Your complaints may very well be well founded in this case. In the previous case to which I referred you didn't bother to pay attention that the marked price was after a rebate, failed to check the receipt at checkout, then blamed the Bass Pro employees for not telling you about the rebate. On top of all that, you made repeated posts complaining about not receiving your rebate starting well before the minimum processing time specified on the rebate had expired.

308jake

Master
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Brownsburg
    Your complaints may very well be well founded in this case. In the previous case to which I referred you didn't bother to pay attention that the marked price was after a rebate, failed to check the receipt at checkout, then blamed the Bass Pro employees for not telling you about the rebate. On top of all that, you made repeated posts complaining about not receiving your rebate starting well before the minimum processing time specified on the rebate had expired.
    That pretty much sums it up. Hard to debate facts.

Top Bottom