• ...and so much more!
  • bb37

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    North of US40
    This story ran on WTHR 13 news this evening:

SPENCER, Ind. (WTHR) - Families in Spencer are finding bullet holes in homes, trees, yards and garages - all of which are downrange from a gun range.

But is that where the shots are actually coming from?

The Owen County Sheriff's Department and Indiana State Police are now investigating to determine who's responsible for firing those shots.

Rest of the story here: Ammunition strikes homes in Spencer - 13 WTHR Indianapolis

https://www.precisiongunrange.net/

hog slayer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2015
    Camp Lejeune, NC
    "Something's wrong. Something's wrong! All we're asking for is to figure out what it is and get it fixed," Drake said. "We have all of this evidence and they just want to continue to blame this on hunters. They don't hunt in June and they don't hunt in February and that's at least when my husband and I witnessed and heard bullets."
    "It's not our goal to shut them down. It's our goal to fix the problem," Wise said.

I think this is a decent statement made by the family.

Gaffer

Shhhh.......
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2016
    Southern IN
    It is a sad situation. I go out there quite a bit. In fact I was out there one afternoon (a couple of weeks ago) when the inspectors came out and we had to go cold for about 30 minutes. The owners of the range are really nice folks, and I hope that it all works out. Hopefully they can turn the rifle range in another direction (south-east looks pretty clear), if it comes to that.

I have attached a google map shot of the range and what I assume is the house. This is fairly flat land here, compared to McCormick's Creek state park right next door.

Image1.jpg

Ron

Sling10mm

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    Someone is throwing loaded ammunition at peoples houses..... kinda weird.

Hope they get to the bottom of it and can make changes that satisfy the neighbors, assuming the rounds are coming from there.

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    1100 yardish to the houses. I could see a newly scoped rifle in the hands of a newcomer causing issues.

The one in the siding was tumbling.

Dewidmt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    South of the Muscatatuck
    Once again, people who are morons build a house downrange from a gun range and whine about guns and stray rounds. Kinda like the folks who build next to an airport and then complain about the noise. And we're supposed to feel sorry for their stupidity......

When I lived in Tucson, AZ, we had a really nice range on the Northeast side of the city. Range had been there for 50 years. City expanded, grew around the range and suddenly there were cries of "bullets hitting our houses!", "the range makes too much noise!", "there is a school within half a mile! (recently built)". The city eventually closed the range because of all the complaints. These folks knew what was around when they built their dream house. Im tired of all these dimwits.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Once again, people who are morons build a house downrange from a gun range and whine about guns and stray rounds. Kinda like the folks who build next to an airport and then complain about the noise. And we're supposed to feel sorry for their stupidity......

Agree to disagree. When shooting we are responsible for knowing what is beyond the target. If circumstances change (IE someone builds a house), we have to change. Someone built a house on dirt they owned. I dont see them as being a moron, or in the wrong.

Hypothetically, if I'm hunting the edge of my property, and a deer walks out between me and the neighbors, but the farmer happens to be working his field, can I say "that idiot shouldnt be in his field, I'm shooting anyways?" NO, I have to wait on the deer to move, or wait until next time.

Noise is a different than safety. I had a neighbor who complained about my shooting, and the noise. I told him he should move to town.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

When I lived in Tucson, AZ, we had a really nice range on the Northeast side of the city. Range had been there for 50 years. City expanded, grew around the range and suddenly there were cries of "bullets hitting our houses!", "the range makes too much noise!", "there is a school within half a mile! (recently built)". The city eventually closed the range because of all the complaints. These folks knew what was around when they built their dream house. Im tired of all these dimwits.

Raceway park in the little burg west of Indy. It stood alone forever. The area started to develop until one year folks were rattled out of the chairs when the top fuelers took to the track. The outcry was tremendous. There was a class action law suit. It went to court. The judge sided with the race track. He asked if those folks bought a home next to a race park. They said yes. He said goodbye.

I have to agree with Alan here though. I shoot at MCF&G and everyone has to be aware of where they are sending their rounds. It is bordered on the north by extensive town homes and Apts. and to the east by I-465 with humanity just on the other side.

EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    News article got one thing wrong. The range did NOT move the berm. The range moved the rifle building closer to the berm. I hope this gets sorted out soon. Too nice of a facility and people to get closed down. I think the owners already had a ballistics person inspect the situation once before.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Just saw the report on Fox 59.

The berm seemed shockingly low and does not have a fence on top.

I do not understand the Inshallah approach to firearms safety that you see on INGO and the real world but I understand it is extremely popular because not many have been shot.

I hope the range buys a clue, a bulldozer and a carpenter and is able to defeat the derp which it has developed.

myhightechsec

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2016
    The Region
    There was a similar story a while back in another state that I then lived in. One of the homeowners held up a complete round still in the brass to show one of the "bullets" that were "hitting" her home.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

I do not understand the Inshallah approach to firearms safety that you see on INGO and the real world but I understand it is extremely popular because not many have been shot.

I hope the range buys a clue, a bulldozer and a carpenter and is able to defeat the derp which it has developed.

I saw that as well.........Not good. Not good at all.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

THIS. If you cant afford to elevate the berm, go to Lowes for lumber and make some overhead baffles to obscure the sky from the bench. Make it so its not possible to send a round over the berm unimpeded. (and hopefully stop it totally)

EDIT: Kinda like this (If you can see sky over the berm from the bench, the baffles arent low enough)

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-YWgqoHldm...adMJdYWw/s1600/club+member+ready+to+shoot.jpg

medcoxo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    Indy, Westside
    I am also a member of MCF&G, and those baffles are a great idea. Seems that should be the norm. If you get a round out of there, then you really really tried hard at it.
    And I appreciate the homeowners saying they just want the place to be safe.
    hmmm,, maybe offer free membership for homeowners in the area would be a nice 'good neighbor' policy. For years, I always thought houses around MCF&G got free memberships!!

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    THIS. If you cant afford to elevate the berm, go to Lowes for lumber and make some overhead baffles to obscure the sky from the bench. Make it so its not possible to send a round over the berm unimpeded. (and hopefully stop it totally)

EDIT: Kinda like this (If you can see sky over the berm from the bench, the baffles arent low enough)

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-YWgqoHldm...adMJdYWw/s1600/club+member+ready+to+shoot.jpg

That's what I was thinking when i saw the berm. Here is Kingsbury DNR. It is LOUD though.
    maxresdefault.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I like the folks at Precision Gun Range. I hope this gets worked out. I fear this is gonna cost a bundle of money

Well, what's the cost for the range to fix their problem? Don't we have some carpenters (for the baffles and the fence that they need to build) and some Operating Engineers who could give us a price on moving dirt and building stuff?

Once the range has the cost, start a fund raising website or have gun raffles to pay the costs.

There's just too much Inshallah in the gun culture. Time to fix this.

Top Bottom