• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    I purchased two boxes of Blaser 9mm FMJ 115 GR ammunition from Bass Pro.
    I opened a box at a IDPA shoot.
    It contained Aluminum jacket.
    I looked the box all over.
    No Mention on box.

previous purchases of non-brass ammo. the box stated, Steel or Aluminum.
    has that Practice stopped.

second question
    I had a lot of failure to extract. WHY?

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    I believe Blazer is aluminum, unless it is "Blazer Brass".

I've noticed this with Blazer brand also, was originally all aluminum, wasn't it? (Thus, blazer brass with diff box colors are -- but if you didn't happen to know that, it would be confusing and annoying)

As to the failure to extract -- my main guess is that the aluminum doesn't expand and contract (expecially contract!) at the same rate that brass does. This means more friction and hard to extract. If your chamber is dirty, then it'll make it that much worse.

Last edited:

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    Blazer was originally a "discount" aluminum cased ammo. They added "Blazer Brass" later.
    :+1:

I've tried the "Blazer" for cheap range ammo, multiple FTE's. Luckily I only bought one box to try. Gave it away.

I'm with throttletony, aluminum doesn't contract fast enough to be extracted reliably.:twocents:

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    FWIW I've run a fair amount of aluminum in different Glocks, and a few M&Ps and Taurus as well. It seemed to do fine in the Glocks, and only the occasional hang-up in the others.
    Glocks seems to have "loose" chambers..can's say for sure on the others... but my gut tells me that a tight chamber, that's already dirty, is gonna be very "sticky" for most aluminum case ammo

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    :+1:

I've tried the "Blazer" for cheap range ammo, multiple FTE's. Luckily I only bought one box to try. Gave it away.

I'm with throttletony, aluminum doesn't contract fast enough to be extracted reliably.:twocents:

For what it's worth, I've ran hundreds (at least 600) of rounds of the Federal Aluminum case 9mm over the past few years with out an issue.

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    Frankly, I've gotten into the habit of opening any ammo that's purchased off the shelf.
    Assures me that I'm getting what I need, and that it's all in there.

No returns and all...

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I always assume that CCI Blazer is aluminum cased unless the box is labeled "Blazer Brass."
    The Blazer Brass boxes also are gold colored, e.g....
    686642.jpg

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    For what it's worth, I've ran hundreds (at least 600) of rounds of the Federal Aluminum case 9mm over the past few years with out an issue.
    I had issues in my Ruger SR9, my Dad used them in his Rucer LC9. He didn't any issues. Both guns were clean and lubed. Just something finicky with mine.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I had issues in my Ruger SR9, my Dad used them in his Rucer LC9. He didn't any issues. Both guns were clean and lubed. Just something finicky with mine.

RobbyMaQ had trouble with the Blazer alum. 9mm in his Shield while at a training class.

Each gun in different. My Keltec PF-9 ran fine on 115 Winchester white box but hated 115 American Eagle.

Top Bottom