• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mikebol

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2015
    Trafalgar
    Agree with DH - It's unfortunate what's happening to the gun industry but a principle of simple economics, supply and demand. Too many consumers have taken the election results as an "all clear" sign and changed the channel. Older folks know that the wolves are still there, just out of sight until the next election cycle. I hope these LGSs and manufacturers can tighten their belts and run "lean" for a while until demand returns.

Mike

MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    Bad wording for the article title: Should be "How the gun industry bet on another panic based on the election and lost the bet..."

Maybe there was some betting on the panic; however, the industry was responding to market conditions, and made manufacturing/stocking/purchasing decisions on information available. Now that the election went the other way, the market is temporarily glutted.

Economics suggests that once the current oversupply works itself out, prices will go back up, but not to the heights seen before the election and during prior panics.

That is, until the next group of anti's achieve office.

MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    Agree with DH - It's unfortunate what's happening to the gun industry but a principle of simple economics, supply and demand. Too many consumers have taken the election results as an "all clear" sign and changed the channel. Older folks know that the wolves are still there, just out of sight until the next election cycle. I hope these LGSs and manufacturers can tighten their belts and run "lean" for a while until demand returns.

Mike

I have to agree. I hope this doesn't end like other downturns, where we ended up with a handful of huge super-banks and Government Motors through too much consolidation.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Can't recall where, but I just saw something the other day talking about this very subject.
    Problem is, they said this too is "fake news", and that NICS records show little if any reduction in checks being performed even after the election.

Now, considering that, along with the fact that the above linked article is from MSN, and I'll put my money on it being fake news.
    Just more proaganda.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    It is weird though. I keep reading about how slow gun sales are, but then I go to Midwest in Mishawaka and you can't stir them with a stick in there.

venenoindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Noblesville
    The slowing down of the industry was going to happen one way or an other, we have seen how the last eight years has been with nothing but panic buying. I pace myself over the last few years only buying when prices were good and buying in small amounts in the other hand other people dedicated themselves to hoard and while useful if a ban would take place not the best now that the mayor threat is out of the equation, firearm businesses that manage themselves responsibly knew that this was going to happen eventually.

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    The only thing I have been "hoarding" in preparation for a Hillary Presidency was .22LR ammo. I was semi caught with my pants down when the post Sandy Hook panic happened and .22LR dried up.

Since then, if I saw some .22LR at a reasonable price, I bought all I could (sharing with family members who were in the same boat) and have been stocking up. I don't know how many rounds I have stashed since then, but it fills 3 .50cal ammo cans.

That is prob enough to last me at least 5 or 6 years of normal plinking. While it is good news for me, it's bad news for CCI and Remington, as I won't be buying any .22LR for a long time.

As far as firearms are concerned, I don't "need" another AR or SW MP9, but if I saw one at the right price I would jump on it....But that means substantially under MSRP...

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    So what? If Hildebeast was elected that gun control agenda of her's might have become a nightmare reality. So what if gun sales have slowed down! You must look at the big picture that our 2A rights are still alive and well especially since Trump was elected. What would you rather have: an anti 2A Libtard B---ch as President or someone who is not about restricting the 2A to death? Again, so what if gun sales slowed down, at least we can still buy and enjoy them without the threat of more gun control hanging over our heads every day.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    I don't feel bad that Trump won that's for sure. Hopefully the gun companies were prepared for a slow down.

The gun companies, like most folks, thought HRC would win. Luckily she lost so now we don't have to rush out and buy anything that goes bang just because. Seems like there is always a line at our local Rural King gun counter lately so who knows.:twocents:

Crusader17

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2017
    Miami County
    So the sales numbers have been set high for manufacturers the last few years. They've been taking advantage of liberals who cry about high capacity "clips" (lol), because it causes people like us to go to the gun shop. I don't see this as a negative thing, now we the consumers can slow down and enjoy what we have and save up for 3 years from now.

Sling10mm

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    I guess I had been doing some hoarding until mid last year, but I have more in mind what the next 10-20 years will be like, not just the next three. I'm to the point where I can just buy a little here and there to replenish what I use, and maybe a little extra to pad the supply here and there. Nice to not have the panic buying to contend with, at least for now.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    I'm tellin' ya, boys. If the demand has dried up nobody told anyone in Winchester. My LGS STILL can't keep 'em on the shelf. It's ridiculous. He was supposed to get 4 handguns in on Friday, and 2 of them were already sold.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    I sure don't see this as a bad thing! As I stated before, my son and I have been "collecting" Firearms and ammo for many years. NOW (or quite soon) we should see some prices drop on Ammo, AR parts, and many firearms. For the people that were protesting about short supplies, watch and STOCK UP. Next panic you will then be like me and the others that you called Hoarders, and you will be able to relax and enjoy our sport as usual regardless of a shortage or something causing panic buying.

The biggest effect of this election is that POTUS can appoint the current Supreme court justice and hopefully another one or possibly two in the next four years. Filling the Supreme court with a majority of justices that are conservative and that don't attempt to change the constitution is imperative. THIS is the biggest plus for this election and should ensure that the 2nd amendment is secure for many years.

In reality the nation has added many new gun owners in the last 8 years. Most of these will be shooting and many will purchase additional firearms in the future. This should provide a fairly stable and growth market for the firearm and ammo manufacturing industry and will be beneficial in the long run. Sure we will lose some of the entrepreneurs that entered the game, but many would not have succeeded anyhow. Also, the media's unrelenting preoccupation with firearms and shootings has instilled a fear for personal safety in many previously neutral or anti-gun people that I believe will be causing quite a number of people getting their carry permits and at least one firearm in the future.

drumsscott

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 15, 2012
    Carmel
    I was at Midwest Guns in Mishawaka today. The manager told me all the manufactures had too much inventory and that was why their pricing had dropped on several gun styles. Besides price reductions the manufactures are also giving rebates. Federal .22 ammo was selling for $2.59/50 for those needing ammo, and they had a large inventory.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    I was at Midwest Guns in Mishawaka today. The manager told me all the manufactures had too much inventory and that was why their pricing had dropped on several gun styles. Besides price reductions the manufactures are also giving rebates. Federal .22 ammo was selling for $2.59/50 for those needing ammo, and they had a large inventory.

I did not see them at the 1500, wish I would have .....

Top Bottom