• ssgjason

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    Southern IN
    I went mlok. Comfort is the same.
    Other things to consider.
    Has either been adopted by a major military force?
    Canada has adopted mlok.
    Does Giesselle make Kmod anymore? I don't think so...

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I have both and just barely like keymod better. But it's also frustrated me a bit too. Keymod attachments, most of them, have little tabs to position the accessory in the slot until the screws are tightened Those tiny nubs have prevented me from mounting an accessory exactly when I wanted.

Also, Noveske hand guard covers won't attach to thicker BCM handguards. I had a ton of those Noveske covers left over but had to buy BCM covers.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    I went MLok. Reading about how MLok came to be and where it came from drove my choice. I have a 15" on a Palmetto 18" Stainless 5.56, it's a little heavy but it is a SPR so weight is not a factor when shooting.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I prefer quad rail with a Sh**load of covers for comfort. I've tried them all, but in the end I always end up adding a standard rail attachment to the specialty mount, so why not go lowest common denominator and be done with it?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I prefer keymod as you can also use mlok on them where as key mod doesn't work on mlok

I didn't know this. I've got quad rail and keymod. I went with the keymod over the mlok just because it seems like (for now at least) more companies are making attachments that work with keymod. If I'd have known that mlok attachments work with keymod it might have swayed my opinion some.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    I didn't know this. I've got quad rail and keymod. I went with the keymod over the mlok just because it seems like (for now at least) more companies are making attachments that work with keymod. If I'd have known that mlok attachments work with keymod it might have swayed my opinion some.

The center to center hole spacing is the same, or really close to. But the fixed indexing taps on Mlock, you have to shave them off or file them down a bit to fit in the keymod. You can get both to work on either really

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    I recently purchased a 15" free float metal (I think aluminum) Keymod for an AR build. Don't know why but prices on the web for all the keymod's are very expensive vs the prices I found at the last few Gun shows. I paid around $85 or $90 for mine and it had 4 or 5 various length adapters included. Installed without any issues and looks to be exactly like those selling for $200+ on the internet!

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Magpul is behind MLok.....that alone is enough for me to go MLok. Keymod will eventually die a slow death.

Plus, Keymod looks like janky garage storage hangers. No thanks.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I prefer quad rail with a Sh**load of covers for comfort. I've tried them all, but in the end I always end up adding a standard rail attachment to the specialty mount, so why not go lowest common denominator and be done with it?

In a word, weight.

I like the idea of "rail where you want it, not where you don't". It seems backward to me to put unneeded rails on something, then cover them up for comfort.

I have keymod on my DD, because that's what it came with.

I suspect that Keymod will end up the Betamax of this issue: technically better, but commercially a loser.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    In a word, weight.

I like the idea of "rail where you want it, not where you don't". It seems backward to me to put unneeded rails on something, then cover them up for comfort.

I have keymod on my DD, because that's what it came with.

I suspect that Keymod will end up the Betamax of this issue: technically better, but commercially a loser.

Yes. My quad rail AR is extremely heavy, while my BCM with the keymod rail and Seekins with the Mlok rail are both much lighter (the Seekins being the heavier of the two rifles).

I have two rifles with Mlok and one with Keymod. As stated earlier in the thread, you can modify mounts to work on either one. I don't have a preference of one over the other, but I see the Mlok surviving longer than the keymod for no other reason that it's simplicity in machining over the Keymod.

yeti rider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 95%
    19   1   0
    Dec 17, 2011
    Lafayette
    I ended up getting a new upper today with mlok style mounting. I bought a new upper from Apache Armaments. I had a small issue fitting the upper to my ingo BCI lower. The upper needed the rear hole massaged a small amount. I called and talked to someone from apache after the show closed today and they were more than willing to work with me on a solution. I'd say good customer service after the sale.

LongGun

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2017
    Columbus
    I struggled with this on my most recent build and ended up going Keymod mainly because I like the look of Keymod better. Haven't found any significant advantages with having Keymod over Mlok, other than as others said Mlok has more specific attachments out there. I'm not a big "attachments guy" so it doesn't bother me much. Interesting to hear some have fitted Mlok to Keymod though, might have to try that out sometime.

Top Bottom