• Joniki

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NE Indiana
    LOL

If I remember correctly, the Whitley county sheriffs department typed mine up for me. It came with a manila envelope pre addressed for the ISP.

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Yup. My first one (when I was living in Lafayette) had to be typed and I had to provide a reason for needing one to the Chief of Police. Apparently, to Chief Gene Reed (no longer in that position), being a delivery driver who did delivery all over town, late at night, and who made large cash deposits for their boss (we are talking about a money bag with $10k in it) to the bank, wasn't a good enough reason... despite there being a spate of armed robberies of delivery drivers at the time, usually resulting in the victim getting clubbed down by 4 guys with a baseball bat. But clearly, I didn't need to carry a handgun.

What an @sshole.

I still remember getting the letter back from the LPD, stating that Chief Reed had decided I did not have a valid reason for applying for a permit. I called to the main station and asked them about it. The woman who answered the phone told me that basically, Chief Reed never approved them, but it didn't matter because the State Police didn't really care what the local Chiefs and Sheriffs said, so to go ahead and forward my application to the State Police and they would approve it since my background check was clean.

What a giant waste of time. I'm really glad they streamlined the process and went to a lifetime permit, so I didn't have to deal with any more tinpot dictators with a badge deciding whether I had a right to protect myself (though, when I renewed my permit, I had moved down to Indy, and I have found that the IMPD was always much easier to deal with, if being a bit more impersonal since it's such a huge department).

Skullglide

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 21, 2014
    Otterbein
    Mine was also in Lafayette. Under Chief Tom Leach. You could only go on a Wednesday to pick up or turn in. Everyone was denied. It also had to be typed. That has been a few years ago.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    My current lifetime LTCH was applied for just before they went electronic.
    And yes my first couple 4 years licence I also had to have a valid reason and write a letter why to the Mishawaka chief.
    Simply PREHISTORIC!

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    The reason I gave back in the day was always, "...for the defense of myself and the State."

Never got an argument.

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    My first application was in 1978 with Hendricks County. They typed it up and I had to hand write why I needed/wanted it. I put "Exercising my Constitutional Rights" on it and every renewal. I never was denied. Even when I had my FFL I was still asked why even though the cost was covered by the state. Pretty stupid!
    Dan

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Yup, for many years the government kept it a secret that the ONLY valid reason to obtain a carry permit was for personal protection. They did not consider protecting property a valid reason. (can't shoot anyone unless you or another person is in eminent danger). I have never put anything on my application except "for personal protection) and have never had any issue.

I resided in Northern Indiana when the lawsuits were filed by businessmen (two as I remember) that sued the county due to being rejected by the county for their permits and then being robbed and injured. They won the lawsuit and the media made it clear that any other rejections in other areas of Indiana were open to lawsuits if they denied a carry license to eligible citizens. That was the beginning of the rush to obtain LTCH's in Indiana. Many were rejected due to statements as to the cause they desired the permits being that they carried large sums of money in "dangerous" areas. Then the newspapers carried the information that the only valid reason was for personal protection of yourself or others.

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    Well, Northern Indiana, in particular the Northwest has become a bit more Democratic Party and Liberal

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Yup, for many years the government kept it a secret that the ONLY valid reason to obtain a carry permit was for personal protection. They did not consider protecting property a valid reason. (can't shoot anyone unless you or another person is in eminent danger). I have never put anything on my application except "for personal protection) and have never had any issue.

I resided in Northern Indiana when the lawsuits were filed by businessmen (two as I remember) that sued the county due to being rejected by the county for their permits and then being robbed and injured. They won the lawsuit and the media made it clear that any other rejections in other areas of Indiana were open to lawsuits if they denied a carry license to eligible citizens. That was the beginning of the rush to obtain LTCH's in Indiana. Many were rejected due to statements as to the cause they desired the permits being that they carried large sums of money in "dangerous" areas. Then the newspapers carried the information that the only valid reason was for personal protection of yourself or others.

Those two statements are the same.
    People carrying large sums of money, tend to get hurt.
    Cashiers have done EVERYTHING they were told, and still shot.

No, I'm not correcting YOU. I'm correcting the media.

And I remember when they said "traveling in bad areas" and "carry large sums of money" were suggested.
    I REALLY wanted to put down "BECAUSE I'M AN AMERICAN AND WE HAVE A 2ND AMENDMENT".

But, I didn't feel like putting $$$ up for the fight, and I was a young adult.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I got mine in Indy back in the early 2000s. I'm not nearly as old as a lot of y'all.

But mine still had to be typed. I had a bail bond office type mine up. They actually stepped outside and asked "need that typed?" based on the tell-tale colors of the applications. I gladly paid them the $2/page to do it.

They told me to be sure to keep them in mind should I ever need their services in the future. I said "Respectfully, I hope I never see you again". :D

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    I got mine in Indy back in the early 2000s. I'm not nearly as old as a lot of y'all.

But mine still had to be typed. I had a bail bond office type mine up. They actually stepped outside and asked "need that typed?" based on the tell-tale colors of the applications. I gladly paid them the $2/page to do it.

They told me to be sure to keep them in mind should I ever need their services in the future. I said "Respectfully, I hope I never see you again". :D

well, you know, they meant in 4 years when you had to do it all again.

I am of the same generation. Bail Bondsman in downtown Indy typed mine up, personal protection was my reason.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

My first app was mid 90s, maybe early 90s.
    I had to buy a typewriter.

Top Bottom