• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dyerbill

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    NWIndiana
    I saw a blurb on the web yesterday saying a bill is coming soon for a universal permit. I came from Illinois in 1989 and there are lots of places to go hiking in Illinois. I would spend a lot more time there if I was armed....politics in Illinois is the worst but as a state it offers a lot. Anyone know what's happening?:dunno:

HubertGummer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 7, 2016
    McCordsville
    I saw a blurb on the web yesterday saying a bill is coming soon for a universal permit. I came from Illinois in 1989 and there are lots of places to go hiking in Illinois. I would spend a lot more time there if I was armed....politics in Illinois is the worst but as a state it offers a lot. Anyone know what's happening?:dunno:

Wouldn't this be the same as national reciprocity?

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    And here I always thought the universal "permit" was the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

canterbc

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 13, 2012
    Noblesville
    I know it won't be a popular opinion on here, but I'm not a fan of national reciprocity. I think the 2nd amendment applies to the federal government. Telling every state how to handle their own gun laws would be IMO unconstitutional as it is not an innumerated poweral of the federal government. Being able to carry everywhere would be nice, but it doesn't trump each indivinstate's right to govern itself.

Joniki

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NE Indiana
    I know it won't be a popular opinion on here, but I'm not a fan of national reciprocity. I think the 2nd amendment applies to the federal government. Telling every state how to handle their own gun laws would be IMO unconstitutional as it is not an innumerated poweral of the federal government. Being able to carry everywhere would be nice, but it doesn't trump each indivinstate's right to govern itself.

So.... Each state should be able to decide what the first amendment means? Each state should be able to allow slavery? State by state should have the power to ban women from voting?

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana

Hi, Bill, I believe you are referencing National Reciprocity--HR38 and S446.

I think the best resource to stay on top of these bills is the NRA-ILA blog. Try this: https://www.nraila.org/

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana

The Second Amendment applies to the federal government. The Second Amendment applies to the states. See McDonald.

The nonsense of the Compact Theory died in 1816 in Martin v. Hunter's Lessee.

We have the 14th Amendment, a gd enumerated power of the federal government, so Alabama or Mississippi could not savage the rights of African-Americans. We also have it so New Jersey or Illinois cannot violate the rights of everyone, regardless of race, to exercise their right to carry a gun.

canterbc

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 13, 2012
    Noblesville
    So.... Each state should be able to decide what the first amendment means? Each state should be able to allow slavery? State by state should have the power to ban women from voting?

The Second Amendment applies to the federal government. The Second Amendment applies to the states. See McDonald.

The nonsense of the Compact Theory died in 1816 in Martin v. Hunter's Lessee.

We have the 14th Amendment, a gd enumerated power of the federal government, so Alabama or Mississippi could not savage the rights of African-Americans. We also have it so New Jersey or Illinois cannot violate the rights of everyone, regardless of race, to exercise their right to carry a gun.

FWIW, I actually agree with both of you. I have been told that the best way to understand something is to try to argue for it's opposition. I am against the gross overreach of power by the federal government in many areas, so I thought this would be a good place to argue for my opposing viewpoint. I hadn't really done a great deal of research into the incorporation doctrine, and this obviously provided a good reason to go into it.

I planned on going into how the Constitution originally applied only to the federal government and it was only later (I saw as late as 1925) that parts of the Bill of Rights were applied to protect all Americans regardless of state. The more I dug into it, the more I found I couldn't defend an unincorporated view for reasons Kirk listed. I think Joniki engaged a little bit in reductio ad absurdum with a couple of the points, as states wouldn't allow slavery or limit the right of women to vote ANYMORE, these were obviously problems in the past.

In short, I'm good with national reciprocity. I think it is a little sad that a law needs to be written as there is already a law written in the form of the 2nd Amendment. I was only taking this opposing viewpoint as an opportunity to learn, and through research learn I did. I'll be looking up the cases you listed Kirk. Hope somebody else gained something as well.

Top Bottom