How did the Classifieds influence your joining INGO?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Why did you Join ingo

• Total voters

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I was just happy to find INGO. I didn't know there was a classified section. I didn't know there were rules. I was pegged as a runner because I tend to be snarky and since I do not type well my posts tend to be shorter.

I was clipped at least once and never understood what was going on. Maybe one of these days I'll get my 50 quality posts.

I appreciate INGO, its mods and members from whom I have learned so much.

Yes, I thought
    • Indiana had a CCW
    • Open carry was illegal
    • Glocks were a piece of :poop:

I have found that I was wrong about the first two. Thank you INGO.

sgtmack

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2011
    I didn't know there were classifieds until I saw the race to 50 threads.

As you can see, I'm not in a huge hurry to start selling stuff.:cool:

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I didn't realize there was a classifieds section until a few weeks after I joined. I originally signed up just keep tabs on the LTCH wait time thread post Sandy Hook.

It took me 16 weeks to get approved and the interaction here during that time was enough to keep me around.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Hey, I came to INGO 'cause I like guns, talking guns, shooting guns, and about anything that goes with gun ownership.
    Damned classifieds have cost me "lost of money" and frustration at some of the asking prices LOL!

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I came because my son told me it was an interesting site. I did not know the difference between a mag and a clip, an LTCH and a CCW, or a pistol and a revolver. I learned.

The classifieds became a great opportunity acquire a couple good pieces.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    BTW the Bacon that lonehoosier brings to the DNR/INGO family shoot in June is to die for.

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    I kept googling different questions I had as I was researching to buy my first handgun. Various threads on INGO were at the top of almost every search I did. I figured since I live in Indiana and wanted more knowledge on guns and Indiana gun law that I should join.

I had thousands of posts before I ever used the classifieds. Never really knew about them for the first 6 months.

canterbc

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 13, 2012
    Noblesville
    I joined because I googled something and INGO came up. Whatever it was, after that first thread I was hooked. I only very recently took part in the classifieds. I really don't like to sell any guns!

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Like others have said, I didn't ever know about the classifieds until after I joined. I think I've bought one gun and tried to sell a truck toolbox and other than lurking, that's been about the extent of my experience with them.

The truck toolbox is still available, BTW. I guess I ought to go bump it. :)

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    When I found INGO, I was very active on a (smaller) nationwide gun forum. The local politics & news were somewhat interesting, but I really think that the classifieds are a part of why I have stuck around.

Bartman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Like a lot of others, I got interested in guns and started Googling. A lot of the (good) info that came up was from INGO. I wasn't a gun owner yet but I'm officially a Hoosier so I joined up. I didn't even know there was a classified section until I joined up and... read the FAQ. I haven't bought or sold anything yet but never say never.

Hoosier45

Snowman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    143   0   0
    Aug 13, 2009
    Eastbound and down
    I spent most of my time on 1911forum.com. One of the other members sent me the link to INGO and said "check this site out. Nicer people. Lot of knowledge." That was 8 years ago. Came over. Stayed up most of the first night reading. Became a site supporter and never looked back.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    Short answer - It didn't. I was looking for information on something and stumbled across it.

Longer answer - I prefer to purchase things either new or at least in person where I can look it over first. I don't usually sell much on here, and buy even less.

Full answer - The classifieds have little effect on my INGO experience, well other than having to sort through the impromptu marketplace when using the 'unread posts' button. I'm here for the information, interaction, news, humor, etc. It's these things and the membership that make INGO a great place, not the deal of the day.

I've learned who is trustworthy, who knows about certain subjects or specific firearms, who has a good sense of humor, who is snarky in a good way, who is snarky in a bad way, who to avoid on the forum & out in the wild if that ever happens. I've met a few members outside the forum and had a great time shooting with them. I've met a couple just from wearing the INGO hat. I've introduced more than a few people at the range to the site that had never heard of it before.

I've seen members pull together to help out other members. Auctions and go fund me pages for emergencies and other things that were important to other members. Donations, prayer chains, giveaways, volunteers. Members going out of their way to make special events and group buys happen. Other members that have opened up their homes and property for a get together and shooting events.

^^^ This is why INGO doesn't need to 'grow up and get rid of the dumb rule' To do so will turn INGO into a faceless football bat resembling Craigslist for guns. I don't want to see that happen. I'm sure most others don't want to see that either, at least the ones that use & interact with the forum instead of use it as their own free marketplace.

I've said it before and I'm sure some may be sick of hearing it. IMO the classifieds are too open right now. They are the very last thing that makes INGO a great site. There are people that abuse the classifieds and it interferes with the flow of the site. The first thing I usually do when getting on here for the day is go to the main page and clear the classifieds. That usually knocks about 100 or more posts off the unread posts page.
    I would like to see a limit to the amount of ads a member can put up at a time. It sucks to go looking for new posts and find 10 or more ads from the same person scattered amongst the actual threads. When 2 or 3 people do it at the same time it just clogs up the unread posts.

Would like to see something like 5 posts for the month with only one open at a time for non site supporters. Triple that for site supporters, 15 total with 3 open at a time. Unlimited for vendors/sponsors. Oh, and if you're trying to sell a vehicle, motorcycle, house, etc then you really should spring for the $20 supporter fee. Stop being cheap and support the forum when you're listing a 10K or more item.

If the classifieds vanished tomorrow I'm pretty sure I wouldn't miss it much.
    :twocents:

HubertGummer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 7, 2016
    McCordsville
    I found INGO when googling LTCH wait times. I found that I started learning a lot by cruising through different threads, and being relatively new to firearms I enjoy learning random things about them. I honestly had no interest in the classifieds when I first joined.

indy4x4fab

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    East side of Indy
    My friend Jjlaughner turned me on to ingo about two years ago when I bought my first gun off of ingo a glock 22, still have it to date. Now I'm back and making friends to be able to get a glock 27 from a member on here.

Top Bottom