• ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Movies with the most realistic and accurate gunfights

Just saw John Wick 2 tonight, in the mood to see some more movies with excellent gunfights... with regards to accuracy, discipline, tactics... etc. Gunfights where you can tell they kept track of round count and reloads. Fights where a COM shot may or may not do the job. Fights that you can tell the actors maybe put in some training to get it right. Things like that.

Easy ones would be Collateral, John Wick, even the Inglorious Bastards bar scene would qualify. Way of the Gun, Lone Survivor, The Kingsmen, what else?

Any thoughts?

Last edited:

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    It's been a while since I watched Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, but my memory is that they kept it at least fairly accurate, at least with the climactic battle at the end.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    You dont get much more technical than Act of Valor. Granted the acting isnt very good, but the technical side is very good. (per the jarhead I watched it with)

I watched it in the theater before I saw this trailer. I didnt realize why I was genuinely on edge during the swift boat extraction scene. When I saw this, it all made sense.

[video]http://www.imdb.com/videoplayer/vi65446169?ref_=tt_pv_vi_aiv_2[/video]

EDIT: granted its not as granular as OP's suggestion, but worth a mention in its own right.

indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    I do not know, was not there, But according to the movie "7 man army" made in 1976 in China depicted an real 1933 event where a small band of Chinese soldiers held back a large Japanese force for several days.

seven-man-army-movie-poster-1020547021.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fw0kg2GWVHo

Can a movie really be that bad with 1919s, hellcats, Broomhandles & mausers?? I think not

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    [video=youtube;htawoJODHA8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htawoJODHA8[/video]

NSFW!!!

[video=youtube;o4TSZh2DY9k]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4TSZh2DY9k[/video]

Last edited:

Blindside

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2015
    Columbus
    What about the shoot out the movie Heat. I think that was the name of the movie. Had Val Killer and Robert De Nero if I am remembering right.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I always liked the gunfights in Heat (referenced in the Michael Mann tribute above).

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    You dont get much more technical than Act of Valor. Granted the acting isnt very good, but the technical side is very good. (per the jarhead I watched it with)

I watched it in the theater before I saw this trailer. I didnt realize why I was genuinely on edge during the swift boat extraction scene. When I saw this, it all made sense.

[video]http://www.imdb.com/videoplayer/vi65446169?ref_=tt_pv_vi_aiv_2[/video]

EDIT: granted its not as granular as OP's suggestion, but worth a mention in its own right.

When the spouse and I saw this I told her that swift boat sequence had to be live fire. It had to be.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Maybe not a gunfight per se, but the beach landing scene in Saving Private Ryan. If you watch that and watch the actual footage, you will see that the producers/directors spent a lot of time studying that footage.

It is said by some that Keanu Reaves is currently the best trained Hollywood actor when it comes to firearms handling. Supposedly he really put his all into the training for John Wick 2.

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    What about the shoot out the movie Heat. I think that was the name of the movie. Had Val Killer and Robert De Nero if I am remembering right.
    go back and watch it again, this time focus on Val Kilmer's AR reloads. A real operator couldn't do it better. There's even some legend that has scenes with him making it to military instructors showing cadets how to do it right

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Cinemax has a series called Strike Back. The gun handling by the two main characters is really solid. But more than that is the way they talk. When they move they call out reloads, windows, rooms, and a lot of the other things you would actually be calling out in a fight. They also make heavy use of the VZ 2008.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Maybe not a gunfight per se, but the beach landing scene in Saving Private Ryan. If you watch that and watch the actual footage, you will see that the producers/directors spent a lot of time studying that footage.

It is said by some that Keanu Reaves is currently the best trained Hollywood actor when it comes to firearms handling. Supposedly he really put his all into the training for John Wick 2.

QFT! He is genuinely a bad*** on the range. He is a student of Taran Butler, and is obviously a good student who pays attention.

[video=youtube;_yk7K8-HnfI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yk7K8-HnfI[/video]

Top Bottom