• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Glockman20

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I just bought an RIA 1911 chambered in 10mm took it to the range for the first time and shot some Sig brand 10mm rounds and some of my reloads and noticed on the Sig brand ammo it had very light primer strikes but on my reloads it did fine I used Federal small pistol primers on my reloads they are not as hard as say the CCI pistol primers... So, my question is what do I do about the light primer strikes?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I just bought an RIA 1911 chambered in 10mm took it to the range for the first time and shot some Sig brand 10mm rounds and some of my reloads and noticed on the Sig brand ammo it had very light primer strikes but on my reloads it did fine I used Federal small pistol primers on my reloads they are not as hard as say the CCI pistol primers... So, my question is what do I do about the light primer strikes?

Do you have another 1911..??

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I wonder if just breaking the gun in, using dry fire and live ammo will help. That should loosen things up a bit.

Did you disassemble the gun and give it a through cleaning? Some pistols have a bunch of crap in the firing pin channel that can slow things down.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I wonder if just breaking the gun in, using dry fire and live ammo will help. That should loosen things up a bit.

Did you disassemble the gun and give it a through cleaning? Some pistols have a bunch of crap in the firing pin channel that can slow things down.

I do the pencil test. If you have another 1911 that is functional there is a comparison test.
    The RIA could be light in the mainspring. Or the pin spring could be wrong.
    Or it might need to be taken down and cleaned/lubed.
    Or it might be an RIA.....:)

Glockman20

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2017
    Indianapolis
    yes, I have other 1911's but they are 45 ACP and two are Kimber's and one is a Para Elite target no issues with those at all... I did break it down and clean it after the range trip but have not shot it again since. going to go next weekend(I HOPE!!)

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    yes, I have other 1911's but they are 45 ACP and two are Kimber's and one is a Para Elite target no issues with those at all... I did break it down and clean it after the range trip but have not shot it again since. going to go next weekend(I HOPE!!)

Verify the gun is un-loaded......hold it straight up. Put a pencil (eraser down) in the barrel. Cock it. Drop the hammer and see how far the pencil comes up out of the barrel. Then do it with one of the other 1911's. This is not caliber sensitive. Most likely the RIA will be a bit weak here.

Again......."EMPTY" gun. Not knocking you just stressing.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2016
    Bloomington
    Sorry, short hi-jack. Not caliber specific would also imply a .380? I have a browning black label .380 that has an occasional light primer strike. Its still not seen a ton of ammo so im not freaking out yet. Just curious if this twst will work for me as well

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Sorry, short hi-jack. Not caliber specific would also imply a .380? I have a browning black label .380 that has an occasional light primer strike. Its still not seen a ton of ammo so im not freaking out yet. Just curious if this twst will work for me as well

This test just shows how much power the firing pin has when it strikes.
    Most all of my 1911's will launch a hull sized pencil out of the barrel.
    Not caliber specific.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    You didn't say if you bought it new or used....
    fed are the softest primers out there. I use them in competition guns which wouldn't set anything else off. Perhaps previous owner put in a lighter mainspring to lighten trigger pull?

-rvb

Glockman20

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2017
    Indianapolis
    rvb.... its brand new. yeah, it has no issues with my reload ammo because of the Federal primers are soft... I think the Sig brand ammo I was shooting has a harder primer. but, I don't want to worry about having to be ammo specific... I did think about buy a Wilson combat mainspring housing with the magwell but those are about $180 so I don't know...

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    rvb.... its brand new. yeah, it has no issues with my reload ammo because of the Federal primers are soft... I think the Sig brand ammo I was shooting has a harder primer. but, I don't want to worry about having to be ammo specific... I did think about buy a Wilson combat mainspring housing with the magwell but those are about $180 so I don't know...

If you are looking at a Stainless one I have a couple.
    RVB is right in that the hammer spring could be the issue.
    With out looking it is hard to say.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    As was already mentioned above, Federal primers are the softest of the US made primers, while CCI are the hardest.
    I'm with Churchmouse in suspecting that the hammer spring is light and the source of your problems, at least if a thorough cleaning and lubing won't resolve your issue.
    If it is, contact RIA for any warranty work that they may grant.
    You should be able to resolve your problem and get them informed about it so that future guns they produce can have the fix before landing on the shelves.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    I had 2 RIA 10mm pistols. I still have one. Neither has light strike issues. First thing I would do is pull the firing pin and check the tunnel for debris or burrs.
    Should be pretty easy to isolate the issue, if you want help I would be glad to take a look

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I had 2 RIA 10mm pistols. I still have one. Neither has light strike issues. First thing I would do is pull the firing pin and check the tunnel for debris or burrs.
    Should be pretty easy to isolate the issue, if you want help I would be glad to take a look

Aw, what would you know about guns? :stickpoke:

Top Bottom