• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    So, I live in a really remote area, on a few acres, surrounded by woods (couple of fairly close neighbors, but not looking out my window at them close) To put things into a little better perspective, I have a 200 yard range in my front yard and it is common place to see empty brass on my front deck.
    So we have an outside guard dog plus an inside watch dog. Wife always has a few cats outside, plus we have chickens for egg production and over the last 20+ years, we have had geese, goats, horses, rabbits, etcetera.
    The "struggle" has always been, what to grab, firearm wise, when the dogs bark, the rooster sound the alarm or something goes bump in the night.
    Could be a sunny Saturday afternoon, cold clear night, could be a problem at 10 feet (coon or mink) or 100 yards (dogs and coyotes)
    What to grab?? .22 rifle, shotgun, AR, .45 Colt revolver??
    I good flashlight is always a must, at night. Noise is not a huge factor, as closest neighbor isn't that close, most times it ends up being a walk and check with no shots fired but it has led to a need for a magazine full of ammo a few times.
    For the last couple of years, my main "go to" gun has been my 9mm SBR AR. With a holographic sight, 20 round mag, mounted flashlight option, quick handling and good range, plus the fact that I'm not unleashing FMJs at 3000 fps, in the middle of the night, it has worked really well, in most cases.
    Anyone here have a similar struggle? Thoughts, recommendations?

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    With the scenario you describe, an AR in 5.56/.223 topped with a red dot seems appropriate for outside work. A good light on the rifle, as well as one in hand should work. Coon at 10 feet or yote at 100 yards or a 2 legged type predator, an AR seems to fit the bill.

It's your choice and maybe you have another gun you are more accurate with might do the job just at well.

The 9mm, I think, falls a little short on the bigger stuff at distance.

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    The 9mm AR has a 10.5" barrel. A paper plate sized target, off hand, at 100 yards is a give me shot with the red dot.
    Just don't want to be cutting loose with full house 5.56 rounds around the house, vehicles or the outside of a chicken coop.
    I have a 600 lumen, weapon mounted light and usually a 250 lumen hand held light.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    The 9mm AR has a 10.5" barrel. A paper plate sized target, off hand, at 100 yards is a give me shot with the red dot.
    Just don't want to be cutting loose with full house 5.56 rounds around the house, vehicles or the outside of a chicken coop.
    I have a 600 lumen, weapon mounted light and usually a 250 lumen hand held light.

Accuracy wasn't what I was concerned with. The power of the 9mm at 100 yards seem to be lacking. Again, this is just my opinion.

It's a tough call. Lots of variables to consider. Maybe a 300 Blackout with a can and have a mag of subsonic and a mag of supersonic with you and decided which suits your needs .

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    That might be a good compromise. I have been throwing around the idea of another AR build in a different caliber. A can would be nice if they get the hearing protection bill passed.
    Something worth thinking about.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    That might be a good compromise. I have been throwing around the idea of another AR build in a different caliber. A can would be nice if they get the hearing protection bill passed.
    Something worth thinking about.

Don't wait on the HPA.
    If you think you want one and you can pay the freight, get the process started.

Just my $.02.

I'm with you on the .300 Blackout. Good compromise.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Personally I would opt for a 12 gage loaded with number 4 shot. I was raised in a very small town in northern Indiana surrounded by farmers, including almost all my relatives. In almost all homes, there was a 12 gage near the door with ammo on a near shelf. Most of the time when the dogs barked or other outside noises occurred there was a predictor in the yard. Usually a Coon, Fox, Weasel, coyote, etc.. A shotgun has many advantages in that you don't have to worry about long range carry, it is plenty effective for all the varmints listed above (+ any 2 legged intruders) at a reasonable range (100 yards or less). If there are Yotes at a longer range you should have time to obtain a longer range rifle. I live in a small city now so my only worries are the 2 legged varity!

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Many times, it seems like there is a split second decision that is made, going out the door, on what the threat might be and what we perceive as an appropriate weapon is selected on the way out.
    The son almost always opts for his scoped 10 / 22 He is darn good at lighting critters up with a handheld light and quick scoping them, on the run. He has been the demise of many coon and a mink, in this fashion.
    Sometimes a shotgun sets by the door if we have had a specific threat to the chicken flock.

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Kirk, when it is during "duty hours", yes, whatever is on the hip makes the trip. 147 grain Hyra Shoks have been the demise of many varmints.
    That is the other side of this sword, btw. Having a sidearm loaded and ready for personal defence and then having the immediate threat of a four legged vermin. Down grading from "premium" ammo, if you have the time.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom