Son wants to shoot competitively. Where should I go?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I would start at Parabellem in Avon. Ask for Aron Bright a.k.a. "Coach". He teaches a Competition 101 class which might be a good place to start if your boy is looking to get into hand gunning.

Competition 101
    This class is an introduction to shooting USPSA. This class will include a classroom session that will cover the rules, scoring, gear, safety, classification, divisions and all the complexties of USPSA. There will be a range session that will include shooting USPSA stages. Shooters will get a feel for range commands and how USPSA matches work. This class will greatly reduce your learning curve for shooting USPSA.

http://www.brightfirearmstraining.c...irearmstraining.com/Courses_Offered.html#2804

I don't really have any suggestions if he wants to shoot rifles.

abeguzmanmarine

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    TERRE HAUTE
    thanks, we shoot there often, but I didn't know they did competitive. he likes handguns but I think hes more interested in rifles. but maybe we'll start with handguns and see how it goes.

DougO

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2013
    Kokomo
    look around and see if there a Scholastic Action Shooting Program close to you. That is rifle and pistol, I know there is one listed in the Indy area, check sssfonline.com

abeguzmanmarine

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    TERRE HAUTE
    looked at the site, its very in depth. looks like a lot of programs, but also looks costly. I hate to buy membership and then he loses interest after the summer. I will do some more research, it looks like they have non member fees, but I didn't see but one junior program which didn't look like him, since I would consider him more experienced than the avg adult.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    I would start at Parabellem in Avon. Ask for Aron Bright a.k.a. "Coach". He teaches a Competition 101 class which might be a good place to start if your boy is looking to get into hand gunning.

http://www.brightfirearmstraining.c...irearmstraining.com/Courses_Offered.html#2804

+1

I have taken a few classes from Bright (Coach), including an "Intro to competitive shooting" type class that was super helpful for my later participation in my first competitive handgun shooting event..

Coach is a great competitive pistol instructor. Your son is fortunate to live close to where he teaches.

If I were you, I would pm him on INGO, ask him what he suggests for your son and go from there.

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010

I was going to suggest Parabellum as well. You can find some of their competition team videos here: https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/shooting-sports/433805-team-parabellum-video-pictures.html
    Dan

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    That's such a broad question.
    shotguns, eg trap / skeet?
    rifle, eg high power or bench rest?
    bullseye pistol?
    practical sports like 3gun, USPSA, IDPA?
    steel?

There are many others, too.

-rvb

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    looked at the site, its very in depth. looks like a lot of programs, but also looks costly. I hate to buy membership and then he loses interest after the summer. I will do some more research, it looks like they have non member fees, but I didn't see but one junior program which didn't look like him, since I would consider him more experienced than the avg adult.

Coach is who you want for training.

If you want to try things out on the cheap look at the "local" steel matches for you and the young man. Friday Night Steel at MCFG is a good start. Lots of other steel matches will start to pop soon up within an hour or so drive.

Steel matches are good starts for beginners as they involve mostly standing in one spot shooting. They allow rimfire and pistol caliber rifles and have options, if not rules, to start with the gun not holstered.

Check out the Shooting Sports forum here on INGO, most matches are listed there. While you are browsing, mark down dates for USPSA and other shooting sports. As far as I know, all the sports allow spectators with eye/ear protection.

Competition Pistol Shooting - Gear Basics - a white paper for newbies

Last edited:

abeguzmanmarine

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    TERRE HAUTE
    Thanks for the info. I will check into coach and parabellum since they are close. RVB I had no idea it was a broad question. I have only used guns for protection. Thats why I was asking for help since my son asked me if we could do it. He only knows the Marine corps methods and training since that is all I know.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Thanks for the info. I will check into coach and parabellum since they are close. RVB I had no idea it was a broad question. I have only used guns for protection. Thats why I was asking for help since my son asked me if we could do it. He only knows the Marine corps methods and training since that is all I know.

Just wanted to make sure we were pointing you in the right direction. While I'm partial to the practical sports, I'm not going to be of much help if his thing is busting clays with a shotgun....

If if he likes rifles and position shooting you learned in the service, high power might be his thing. Or maybe he'd rather run-and-gun with his long gun and should look to 3gun... or maybe even pistol-caliber carbines which are now part of USPSA might get his interest (that's a real hoot btw).

The more we know what he pictures when he says competition, and what kind of shooting is fun for him, the more likely we are to point him to the right starting point.

-rvb

ol' poke

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010
    Rifles:

Wildcat Valley Rifle & Pistol Club - Highpower

Clinic is coming right around the corner.

-Nate

My first suggestion is to look into 4-H shooting sports. A great experience at a great price. Next will be a local club. Wildcat Valley is about an hour's drive from Indy, but they have an outstanding Junior Club program 2 Saturday's per month. It's also a great place to spend quality time where you can shoot alongside the kids. My two sons went through both programs, and one is now on Purdue's Rifle Team. (proud papa plug!)

Rong

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    NE Indiana
    Sounds like you have a place to start but I second the 3gun recommendation. Great way to get better with what you shoot! There are matches all over.

Top Bottom