• ...and so much more!
  • Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    My friends had their nephew visiting from college in Chicago with his girlfriend. He has shot a little and she never held a firearm before. They asked if it would be alright to head out to my property in the country and take everyone shooting.

Who could say no?

I picked up some targets, some target holders, a steel spinning target, and some tannerite. Ya know, for instant feedback on the accuracy of the shot.

We went over firearms safety, reviewed the four (4) rules several times, and proceeded with the .22 rifle and the spinning target. Everyone had a lot of fun with that.

I also brought a K-98 Mauser if any of the older folks wanted to have fun, and to show the kids how a larger caliber rifle would perform. I must say that everyone wanted to try it and had fun, although the girlfriend did complain about her shoulder. We didn't push her, and after a while she wanted to shoot it again.

Finally, my CR-15 was used to target the tannerite. We all had a blast. I hit the target with my first shot from a standing position. I looked cool. In reality I was lucky as hell but I didn't tell them that. Afterwards it kindof morphed into everyone wanting to set off a blast so that's what we did.

After blowing up 2/3's of a stump we broke for dinner. I supplied steaks and sausage along with potato and macaroni salad. My friend brought dessert.

After dinner they wanted to try a pistol and we broke out my CZ-82. This was the same one that cause me to have a crooked bird. This time I learned from my mistake and did much better. We had fun there as well. What really made me happy was that my goddaughter wanted to try again and this time I loaded one (1) shot at a time. She wasn't afraid and had fun with her one shot. I reloaded after each one for her.

We ended on good cigars and a nice conversation. The nephews girlfriend was born and raised in Chicago and I was glad she had a fun time. As she had never been around firearms before I think I made a good impression for gun owners both having fun and being responsible. As she wanted a souvenir of the day I gave her one (1) round each of every weapon she had fired. She was thrilled with those.

I believe I had more fun watching them enjoy themselves than I did shooting myself. The weather wasn't the best but it didn't rain and the temperature was good right up until the last of our cigars, then it got pretty chilly and we called it a day.

We all need to have days like today was for me.

Regards,

Doug

Joniki

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NE Indiana
    Congratulations! It sounds like you brought another person into a wonderful hobby.

I get full blown DT's if I go a week without shooting...

edicius

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2017
    Evansville
    I envy you. My next home will be more about the property than the actual house. I'd love to be able to go out back and shoot. Sounds like a great day.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I envy you. My next home will be more about the property than the actual house. I'd love to be able to go out back and shoot. Sounds like a great day.

Nobody lives out there. This property is a little over ten (10) acres of my grandparents original farm. It is mostly mowed, with a pond, pavillion, and a small amount of woods. All about 100 yards off the main road.

It is basically our own private park out in the country. About an hours drive out of Fort Wayne, although the actual distance is about 40 miles.

I am certain it is nice to live out in the country, but I find it very nice to have someplace to GO, someplace to get away if that makes any sense.

Of course, it also has a downside. I've tried planting fruit trees several times but without some daily care most have died.

Regards,

Doug

White Squirrel

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2016
    Evansville
    Your little "family park" sounds absolutely fantastic. It is so nice to have a place to take family and friends or just to by yourself to get away and/or shoot. It just seems so tragic that someone from Chicago can't enjoy the all-American hobby of shooting. Good for you for taking everyone out and introduces them to safety and to the fun of shooting.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    I so rarely feel like I have anything of significance to add to these type of threads and I anticipate MANY others feel the same way. The result is that they don't become 10 page, hot topic threads. I think that is misleading, however, because I LOVE reading these! I just don't think they get the love they deserve.
    THANKS For taking the time to post this.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Your little "family park" sounds absolutely fantastic. It is so nice to have a place to take family and friends or just to by yourself to get away and/or shoot. It just seems so tragic that someone from Chicago can't enjoy the all-American hobby of shooting. Good for you for taking everyone out and introduces them to safety and to the fun of shooting.

It is a great place to go. The funny thing is, we/I almost never shoot out there. We often go out just to get away from all the noise and cook over an open fire. I even allow smoking and drinking.

Way to go.
    It can be (almost) as much fun, even without any trigger time on the guns

We started with the .22 rifle, which apparently I need to clean some more. I always made certain to fire the first shot, or two, just so everyone could see and hear what was coming.

After the .22 I moved to the 8mm Mauser, because I wanted to show them what the "worst" kick would be. After that, everything would be downhill. If they didn't want to try it, that was fine, but everyone did. They really enjoyed the Mauser. The only thing the nephew kept doing was moving the bolt slowly, and it wouldn't throw the brass. I had to keep telling him to really move it to cycle the spent casing.

Good story, it sounds like fun was had by all.

I asked later and my friends reported that everyone did have fun, so I'm glad.

I'm like you, Doug. I get a bigger kick out of watching someone else (especially the kids) shoot than I do myself. Good for you.

What really made me happy was that Alina (my goddaughter) was willing to fire the CZ-82 again. Granted, she wanted one shot at a time, so I had to keep pulling the magazine and reloading it, but I feel it is a step in the right direction. At least she was willing to shoot and wasn't as afraid of it as I thought she was.

I did get a kick out of the spinning .22 target. That was actually fun. I guess it has something to do with "instant gratification" of that little ping and spinning.

I couldn't find my camera otherwise I would have posted pictures.:( Maybe next time.

IMG_2479.jpg IMG_2493.jpg IMG_2538.jpg

Here are some pics of the area along with the lane heading back. That shows how far off the main road it is.

Regards,

Doug

PS - The picture with my Bad Boy mower is the field we were shooting across, mostly.

Top Bottom