• ...and so much more!
  • Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    Does anyone know specifically WHY the DNR has made these changes in hours, staff and separate black powder loading table at the Winamac FWA range? Just curious?

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Do you do Facebook? They have a page there for each district. It might be a good place to ask.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I know a lot of people don't use facebook but figured it might be a good way to ask the DNR directly what the reasons were for the change. I wasn't trying to suggest anyone should use Facebook. It can be good or bad depending on how you use it.

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    I know a lot of people don't use facebook but figured it might be a good way to ask the DNR directly what the reasons were for the change. I wasn't trying to suggest anyone should use Facebook. It can be good or bad depending on how you use it.

Its all good. I don't believe anyone took your suggestion in a negative manor. I appreciate your in-put personally. I might give the Winamac FWA a call this week and ask them these questions. Or maybe someone who was at the INGO shoot/get together there today might have gotten some insight?

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Its all good. I don't believe anyone took your suggestion in a negative manor. I appreciate your in-put personally. I might give the Winamac FWA a call this week and ask them these questions. Or maybe someone who was at the INGO shoot/get together there today might have gotten some insight?

I've never shot at that range as my dad lives close to Jasper Pulaski and we always went there. If you don't get the answers you need, I can try to ask on FB and let you know what they say. I have found that they are pretty good and responding to questions sent to them via messaging.

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    I've never shot at that range as my dad lives close to Jasper Pulaski and we always went there. If you don't get the answers you need, I can try to ask on FB and let you know what they say. I have found that they are pretty good and responding to questions sent to them via messaging.

Awesome. If you are so inclined that would be great, meanwhile I will try and call the Winamac FWA and see what they say. I have never been to the JP range. If you ever get a chance try the Winamac range it is really nice.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Awesome. If you are so inclined that would be great, meanwhile I will try and call the Winamac FWA and see what they say. I have never been to the JP range. If you ever get a chance try the Winamac range it is really nice.

I'll send them a message and see what kind of response I get....will share it here. I don't live far from there, but we usually just shoot here at home. Dad doesn't get to go shooting much anymore after his stroke a couple years ago. Maybe this summer I can get him out to JP for a bit. I know he would enjoy it, and I'm pretty sure he can still safely shoot. I don't know if his vision is still good enough to be as accurate as he used to be. It's been a while since we used to shoot the round ends off of the dairy queen spoons. :laugh:

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    Just got off the horn with the Winamac FWA. They indicated that basically these changes were mandated by the Indianapolis main office. I asked why the addition of a B/P loading tables? We have always loaded B/P firearms right on the line from the existing tables. They said it was mandated by the Indy office because there was a concern that having open B/P on the benches on the line could pose a safety hazard. The addition of a "full time" range officer is because basically Indy has mandated that all hours that the range is open there WILL be a range officer present. They are concerned for liability purposes of being sued should a accident occur. I guess I can see that, because one accident and legal action they would probably shut the range down. Anyway...that's my take away from my phone conversation with the DNR folks at Winamac. Now we know...the rest of the story.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    They are concerned for liability purposes of being sued should a accident occur. I guess I can see that, because one accident and legal action they would probably shut the range down.

Wouldn't the state be covered by sovereign immunity? I don't think this answer makes sense.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I sent an email to Indy last night after messaging with the DNR and finding out that Fish and Wildlife is separate from them and would be the proper office to contact. I'll post any reply I receive.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Just got off the horn with the Winamac FWA. They indicated that basically these changes were mandated by the Indianapolis main office. I asked why the addition of a B/P loading tables? We have always loaded B/P firearms right on the line from the existing tables. They said it was mandated by the Indy office because there was a concern that having open B/P on the benches on the line could pose a safety hazard. The addition of a "full time" range officer is because basically Indy has mandated that all hours that the range is open there WILL be a range officer present. They are concerned for liability purposes of being sued should a accident occur. I guess I can see that, because one accident and legal action they would probably shut the range down. Anyway...that's my take away from my phone conversation with the DNR folks at Winamac. Now we know...the rest of the story.

Bureaucrats gotta bureaucrat.
    \

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    This is the response I received to my email:

Beginning on April 1st it will be mandated that the rifle range at Winamac FWA shall be manned with a range officer during all hours of operation. Unfortunately we do not have the personnel to man the range for the amount of days and hours that we were open prior to April 1[SUP]st[/SUP] of this year. Due to this mandate the range hours and days of operation will need to be decreased.

The separate muzzle loading tables were put in place for safety reasons to keep muzzle loading powder away from the shooting benches where accidental ignition could possibly occur.

Top Bottom