• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • White Squirrel

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2016
    Evansville
    Very glad to see a reasonable effort at creating a dialog. Much better than some of the open carry demonstrations in Texas with people going into public venues with an AR on their shoulder. Now, if the other side can only discuss things rationally.

I know, I know. Have to keep my expectations reasonable.

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Very glad to see a reasonable effort at creating a dialog. Much better than some of the open carry demonstrations in Texas with people going into public venues with an AR on their shoulder. Now, if the other side can only discuss things rationally.

I know, I know. Have to keep my expectations reasonable.

Good luck with that. From my experiences the "left" only wants to condemn and berate those who do not fit into their mold of thought.
    Personally I never understood the mindset behind open carry. Why would you want to single yourself out as a target for a bad guy? I want to keep the element of surprise in any response I may have.
    Dan

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I may be out of date, but I thought state law did not prohibit carry on college campuses if you had a license issued by KY but was rather open to interpretation on if out of state licenses were ok. Individual colleges can put a no weapons policy in place, but other than trespass/expel/etc. there was no force behind it. Did that change? I've admittedly not looked into it for nearly 15 years, because it ceased mattering to me roughly 15 years ago.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    ...Personally I never understood the mindset behind open carry. Why would you want to single yourself out as a target for a bad guy? I want to keep the element of surprise in any response I may have.
    Dan

Have you ever attempted to understand? Here you go, an oldie for sure, but it just keeps delivering:

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/carry-issues-self-defense/71996-open-carry-argument.html

If you have any lingering questions unanswered or fanciful notions unshattered that haven't been covered there, feel free to bring them up.

Those two have been covered repeatedly and in great depth over the years. ;)

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    I may be out of date, but I thought state law did not prohibit carry on college campuses if you had a license issued by KY but was rather open to interpretation on if out of state licenses were ok. Individual colleges can put a no weapons policy in place, but other than trespass/expel/etc. there was no force behind it. Did that change? I've admittedly not looked into it for nearly 15 years, because it ceased mattering to me roughly 15 years ago.

The article wasn't very clear as to what their goal is, but this comment would lead me to believe that they are trying to get the administration to change a school policy rather than a state law: "'Students should have the ability to conceal carry and have means of self-defense on campus without the fear of repercussion from administration,' Chernyavskiy said."

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Have you ever attempted to understand? Here you go, an oldie for sure, but it just keeps delivering:

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/carry-issues-self-defense/71996-open-carry-argument.html

If you have any lingering questions unanswered or fanciful notions unshattered that haven't been covered there, feel free to bring them up.

Those two have been covered repeatedly and in great depth over the years. ;)

Thanks for the link. I've read it more than a few times over the years but I'll still CC as well as I can. With all the "Moms demanding some action" out there I don't want to give them a reason to unjustly call the police for a MWAG.
    I do appreciate others opinion on OC and I will admit I have OC'd before but as the norm it's not for me.
    Dan

ATM

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Long gun OC does not help "our" cause.

Others may disagree, and that's fine.

Perhaps you could define "your" cause. "Our" causes might have little if any overlap.

Long gun carry is currently the only way to exercise our right to bear arms in public in Indiana (as handgun carry requires purchasing a permission slip from the state).

ATM

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    ...With all the "Moms demanding some action" out there I don't want to give them a reason to unjustly call the police for a MWAG...

I'd rather enjoy the opportunity to correct/educate all involved, but that hasn't ever happened to me.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Long gun OC does not help "our" cause.

Others may disagree, and that's fine.
    It almost feels like this is a "compare and contrast" exercise where there is no right answer. I didn't agree with Open Carry Texas using this approach, but they now have OC in Texas. Long guns slung at low-ready concern me, as do handguns in floppy holsters.

What are we trying to achieve? What is our message and to whom are we sending it? Are we (the 3%) trying to influence the 87% (props to BillofRights) left over after writing off the 10% who include Moms in need of action and the like??

How do WE push the narrative. The not-so 2A friendly media always finds the guy with the fewest teeth to interview. We don't get the "make 2 dozen look like a million" camera angles that the Mommies do either.

Since we have lives to live, families to support, and no sugar daddies to finance rent a mobs and bail us out of jail we start at zero. We also are incredibly law-abiding, which never makes the news.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Thanks for the link. I've read it more than a few times over the years but I'll still CC as well as I can. With all the "Moms demanding some action" out there I don't want to give them a reason to unjustly call the police for a MWAG.
    I do appreciate others opinion on OC and I will admit I have OC'd before but as the norm it's not for me.
    Dan

CC is fine. It's what I usually do. I rarely OC. OC is fine too, but because it can visibly identify you as a gun owner, with all the negative press we get anyway, just represent well. If you only CC because you're afraid of Mom's demand, then they're beating you.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    One of my customers is a veteran and picked up a Nagant revolver from me yesterday...He participated in the walk as he is a senior at U of L....To make it really stick he said he wore his MAGA red cap....He said he thought he saw he saw at least two possible strokes from snowflakes...

He's a marine and cut like an oak....They don't say anything to him...Just stroke out...:)

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    The article wasn't very clear as to what their goal is, but this comment would lead me to believe that they are trying to get the administration to change a school policy rather than a state law: "'Students should have the ability to conceal carry and have means of self-defense on campus without the fear of repercussion from administration,' Chernyavskiy said."

Yeah, they threaten to withhold your transcripts, expel you, etc. I was just trying to add what I think the current situation of the law/policy is there. I quit going to U of L back in '03, though, so like I said I may be outdated.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    One of my customers is a veteran and picked up a Nagant revolver from me yesterday...He participated in the walk as he is a senior at U of L....To make it really stick he said he wore his MAGA red cap....He said he thought he saw he saw at least two possible strokes from snowflakes...

He's a marine and cut like an oak....They don't say anything to him...Just stroke out...:)

:yesway:

PyrPatriot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2016
    Louisville

The walk was all about showing how ridiculous gun-free zones were and to promote concealed carry on KY campuses. The long guns were a visual aid to encourage dialogue. We had been working with UofL admins, police, and legal folks for a month before the event happened.

I think I know the guy you're talking about! He's a friend of mine (as I only saw one MAGA hat there I'll assume we're talking about the same guy).

I'm one of the organizers they interviewed btw.

Top Bottom