Have you been to the Crosley range recently?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Backpacker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Greenwood
    I have not been there for a few years and only shot on the shortest range. I wonder what if any target stands are on the 100 yard range and are there shooting benches. Google didn't reveal much for me.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    I've been there several times since they did the renovations. There were no "stands'. Just wires across the target line to hang your targets on. It's still paper only. I take cardboard backers to hang on the wire with duct tape. We usually find ourselves picking up trash at the target line but it's not as bad now that there's a DNR guy there all the time.

There are benches at all distances.

Darthur

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2016
    Bargersville
    Went yesterday, enjoyed it. Nice covered shooting areas with benches. Had to wait a short period to get a lane but not bad. pistol lanes were backed up a little.
    All of the lanes I saw had cardboard or coroplast already hanging from cable/wires to adhere targets on.
    I actually had a guy and his son invite me to share the lane on the 100 with them. Had a great time shooting with them.

indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Went yesterday, enjoyed it. Nice covered shooting areas with benches. Had to wait a short period to get a lane but not bad. pistol lanes were backed up a little.
    All of the lanes I saw had cardboard or coroplast already hanging from cable/wires to adhere targets on.
    I actually had a guy and his son invite me to share the lane on the 100 with them. Had a great time shooting with them.

So did you try out that Conversion???

Darthur

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2016
    Bargersville
    Yes I did, shoots nicely. Was not real accurate with it but I probably just need to get used to shooting it. Tried out the mosin I picked up too. Bullets were tumbling bad at 100 yd line. The barrel has been shortened and there is no real crown on it but I knew that when I bought it. It will be for a project I am going to do. hopefully it will straighten up once I have it properly crowned. I received your PM too but I cannot answer yet since I do not have 50 posts. Going shooting sounds like a good time, just got to get ahead of the curve at work in the next few weeks so I can make some more predictable plans. Looking forward to it.

indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Yes I did, shoots nicely. Was not real accurate with it but I probably just need to get used to shooting it. Tried out the mosin I picked up too. Bullets were tumbling bad at 100 yd line. The barrel has been shortened and there is no real crown on it but I knew that when I bought it. It will be for a project I am going to do. hopefully it will straighten up once I have it properly crowned. I received your PM too but I cannot answer yet since I do not have 50 posts. Going shooting sounds like a good time, just got to get ahead of the curve at work in the next few weeks so I can make some more predictable plans. Looking forward to it.

Do you think you can crown it yourself??? I.E there are all kinds of cheap DIY Crownings I have seen???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoSI_O3Oc3w

or do you think it will be more work then that??

indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Deep down, I hate doing Big gunsmithing work on my own guns, But darn that does look easy... meant to ask it you had a photo of the barrel front, Is it just a vertical cut.???..

Per your conversion did you shoot Black Powder loads or the Smokeless??

Darthur

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2016
    Bargersville
    I shot the smokeless loads. I think the black powder loads will probably be better when I get them. For the rifle it appears to have just been cut off straight and smoothed over with a file. Inside the barrel there is pretty bad pitting right where the edge of the cut was made. It looks like the pitting is only about a 1/16th of an inch or so inside, then it clears up. I was thinking that a good 11 degree crown might in effect get rid of all of it. I think someone probably picked where to cut it off there to get rid of a badly pitted spot in the bore. as far as I can tell the rest of the bore is not really that bad. I could also shorten it a little more before crowning if I have to.

NVG

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 28, 2014
    SEast
    Bringing this topic back up. Son and I went yesterday to fish a few ponds and sight in a few guns. We have been on several occasions in the past. Wires do have cardboard zip tied to them to attach targets. Only 3 others there shooting, so we had our choice of yardages. The skeet shooting area that was just off parking lot has been discontinued. There is now an office building onsite that has a DNR employee @ range during open hours. They are closed Monday, Tuesdays and holidays. Closed whole month of Feb. Also, sign states no "rapid firing" ???

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    It's located south of Indy @ Crosley FWA 2010 South SR3 North Vernon, IN.

NVG ...Thanks.Just curious. I hear folks here talk about it frequently. I have only ever shot at the Winamac FWA just north of Winamac Indiana. It is a very nice range as well.

TangoFoxtrot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2018
    United states
    I read in a thread here that crosley only goes out to 200 yards. I could have sworn they went out to 800 yards... am I wrong on that.. I'm not afraid to be wrong lol:)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Top Bottom