• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Reading one of the blogs I read and come across this story about 3 Oklahoma teens that were shot,one died. Appears according to the grandfather of the deceased teen declared the AR had no place in that guys home and he didn't have to shoot them. Really what have we come to as a society? When are we going to stop with the he didn't have to die. And when are we going to start with they didn't have to break into someone's home.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    Reading one of the blogs I read and come across this story about 3 Oklahoma teens that were shot,one died. Appears according to the grandfather of the deceased teen declared the AR had no place in that guys home and he didn't have to shoot them. Really what have we come to as a society? When are we going to stop with the he didn't have to die. And when are we going to start with they didn't have to break into someone's home.

The blog sounds like it's missing some info and is wrong. There were 3 that broke into the house, all masked up, 2 armed. All 3 were shot and killed, not just one.
    More here. https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...wners-3-masked-home-invaders-not-so-much.html

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    On second thought, maybe the perps thought they were attending a ski mask convention? Recent burn victims support group? Indoor refrigeration expo?

... strong purple implied

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    The specific arguments cited from the blog have no merit...

However, there is a tiny bit of merit in the "AR 15 is not a good home defense gun"... if you live in a drywall over plywood and vinyl sided starter home with neighbors 10 ft away... but in general AR 15 platform IS a proper home defense weapon. You just have to account for your surroundings in your choice of weapon and round.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee

However, there is a tiny bit of merit in the "AR 15 is not a good home defense gun"... if you live in a drywall over plywood and vinyl sided starter home with neighbors 10 ft away... but in general AR 15 platform IS a proper home defense weapon. You just have to account for your surroundings in your choice of weapon and round.
    Agreed but I have a strong suspicion that if a person used a Nerf Gun it would be too much. The real underlying question here is when will people!e stop blaming the tool that was used consistent with a self defense tool and stop making victims out of criminals.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008

Respectfully, That's actually antiquated. For the past several years FBI SWAT has transitioned to the M4 for building entries. With standard 55gr the 5.56 has about the same 12-18" with IWBA 4 ply denim that handgun rounds do. As far as drywall again 55 gr has not much worse overpenitrate hazard than standard handgun rounds.

I can't send work stuff out but here is a similar public site with much the same material

About .223 Penetration

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

I strongly disagree. The AR with proper ammo selection is probably the best option in such a situation. There is no pistol bullet that will reliably penetrate enough AND not blow through walls, you get one or the other. With high speed lightweight fragmenting rifle projectiles you can have both. Ammo selection matters, and matters a lot, but with the right projectile the AR (or another .223/5.56 is a very strong choice.

Respectfully, That's actually antiquated. For the past several years FBI SWAT has transitioned to the M4 for building entries. With standard 55gr the 5.56 has about the same 12-18" with IWBA 4 ply denim that handgun rounds do. As far as drywall again 55 gr has not much worse overpenitrate hazard than standard handgun rounds.

I can't send work stuff out but here is a similar public site with much the same material

About .223 Penetration

This. Once it starts to tumble/fragment, it's significantly less dangerous than most handgun bullets to someone outside.

Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area

About .223 Penetration

Great information. Much to think about here. Could even be an excuse for another purchase! :dunno:

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    I strongly agree...AR15's have no place in your home, please send them to me and I will gladly dispose of them for you.....:):

Seriously, when I heard the young man used an AR to defend the home, I wondered how long it would take for the internet to start the anti-AR drumbeat...

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Neither do masked/armed home invaders Grandpa! Junior was obviously on a real distinguished path here and it doesn't always lead to prison.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Personally I believe it was the perfect defense firearm in this case, The homeowner was a pretty good shot to get all three of the invaders and by killing them saved a lot of taxpayer money. What more could you ask for. In my opinion any scum that will do an armed invasion of a person's home should not be wasting good air.

IndyTom

Expert
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Oct 3, 2013
    Fishers
    Just saw it on FB this morning. It was full of, 'They made mistakes and they knew they'd get punished, but they didn't deeeserve to die!' The usual.

Top Bottom