• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sdtech58

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 25, 2014
    Z'ville
    I purchased a gun online after 2 LGS near me said their distributors didn't have one. I purchase the gun through Bud's and its at the LGS the next day. I go in to pick it up on Friday and I get "delayed" on the 4473. How common is this? I've been at my current residence for 2.5 years and this is the 4th firearm I have purchased since living here. I have never been delayed. I always include SSN on the form as well.

My name is not common, at all. If someone else in the country has my name, I would be very surprised. I've had a speeding ticket and minor in possession of alcohol, both nearly 20 years ago. That's it.

Is there any way I can figure out why i'm delayed?

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    I have never been "delayed". However, I always get sent on for "further review" and this is always the sticking point for me because the NICS systems often keeps my FFL on the phone so long on hold that he has to give up and call them back on the following Monday, or come in on Sunday (when they are closed) and try then.He has to hang up because he is a small shop and has to attend to other customers.This always happens to me on a Saturday.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    361   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    No big deal. Most likely outcome is the LGS will hear nothing more and you can pick it up after the 3(?) day period of review.

I also have a clean past and an unusual name and have been delayed twice . Both times I simply picked the gun up after the delay period. It happens. System busy, aliens, who knows.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I dont get delayed every time, but pretty close to it.

I never even try and buy at a show, because if I get delayed and cant leave with it, Im not driving to ??? to pick it up in 3 days.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    After a 9 month wait, I just got delayed on my friggin' .22 can. It's on a trust so they actually call the 4473 in. :facepalm:

I was delayed one other time in 2009.

Chase515

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    Oxford, In
    It happens, I was delayed right after sandy hook. Then instantly approved my next purchase. Four guns in Lafayette spent 2 hours on hold with one of my 4473's just to have it approved. Some went to further review and others didn't but all have been approved. Recent purchases have been approved very quickly. Time of day and day of the week play a big part in how quick you get approved. Saturday afternoon/evening take the longest for me. During the week early morning seems fine, and 3 in the afternoon works well also.

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    I've only been delayed once in all my years. It was t a gun show of all things. After the Brady delay I picked my gun up. No problems but it did kinda **** me off.
    Dan

Joniki

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NE Indiana
    I get a "delayed" every time I buy something.

Every time I have been to court I have either been acquitted or had a hung jury.....

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Speaking of delays, its worth reminding folks not to shop at Dicks, and possibly other big box stores. Dicks I know for sure that they will not release the firearm without a positive "proceed" even though legally they can after the 3 days with no further contact. And most times after 3 days .gov knows it can be released so it doesnt always bother calling the store back to give a proceed as it is unnecessary. Their corporate policy prohibits the transfer without that "proceed" statement so customers get screwed.

I was talking to a salesman who told me about some poor guy that came back to the store repeatedly and always got a delay, when a LGS would have simply released the gun.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Nice...So there is no way to find out why the delay happened so it can possibly be avoided in the future? Wonderful...

YUP, Our tax dollars at WORK .....

You can get a Unique ID, or something like that .....

Guy Relford talks about this on his show .....

93.1 on Sat., 5 pm to 7 pm .....

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    YUP, Our tax dollars at WORK .....

You can get a Unique ID, or something like that .....

Guy Relford talks about this on his show .....

93.1 on Sat., 5 pm to 7 pm .....

Last I heard there's a 6 month plus delay on getting the ID number.
    Dan

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    When I got delayed, I looked into getting the UIN and was told you had to have been denied, not delayed, to qualify for a number.

Romero Zombie

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Greenwood
    I used to get delayed about 50% of the time. Went to pick up a silencer I purchased through my trust and got delayed. Got a call the next day saying I had been denied. I asked for reason and got the standard reply about name being similar to felon and had to send in a print card. It's been 4 months with no answer. Getting really impatient. Anyone else deal with this crap or know how long I may have to wait? I still have 2 INGO lowers to pick up but don't want to do a 4473 until I'm good to go.

2in1evtime

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.4%
    62   1   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    retired-midwest
    When replacing some firearms from a home disaster, was approved for all then the last one i ordered came in and got denied, took a while to get that resolved now i only purchase 1 at a time and no multiples in a week span. Has been working well that way only had 1 further review since out of 10 or so purchases.

kscessnadriver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 1, 2017
    Albion
    I've had one delay ever, with an FFL who still called in the 4473 via phone. I heard him mis-read my SSN, which is what I assume caused the issue. When I said that to him, he immediately called back, told them what had happened, gave my correct number, and got the proceed right away.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DMash
    Top Bottom