• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JDGreen

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2017
    Over Yonder
    I live on 5 acres. My house is pretty close to dead center on the property. I have a 30' x 40' pole barn to one side of the property. I've been thinking about building a pistol range inside the barn. I would probably use railroad ties to construct an 8' x 8' backstop, likely in a semi U shape. A couple layers of 3/4" plywood and backed with 1/8" sheet steel. A furnace blower / exhaust fan to vent the gases. I'd love to hear thoughts, comments, etc.

medcoxo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    Indy, Westside
    Theory sounds good, I would 'angle' the steel, so anything that hits is deflected down. Of course, google it until you cannot find anything, else, and then add more protection. I have never heard of 'over kill' when it comes to back stops. Then of course what if a round gets 'out'-- where will it end? Your house or somewhere else? I am more of a a fan for outdoors any time that is an option.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    my suggestion is find a dozen of more plastic 55 gal drums. fill them with sand. stack one or more on top.
    go as wide as needed. place a second row covering the between barrel slots.
    That should stop almost anything. when worn out easy to replace.

Sling10mm

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    I would suggest researching this topic to death. Maybe even contact a lawyer. The NRA has a pretty detailed manual that you can get describing many different range construction techniques.

Not sure what your specific situation is, but what if the shooting position was inside the building, and the target line outside with a tall berm and the appropriate overhead baffles (both inside and out) to prevent rounds from leaving your range? That part of the building would be open to the elements, but would at least be covered.

Just throwing out ideas, but as mentioned above, that backstop would pretty quickly (depending on how much it is used) develop "weak" areas that may eventually let rounds pass through, thus the earthen berm idea. Now having said that, the earthen berm would need to be maintained as well.

Good luck, and let us know what you come up with.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    A backstop like you describe is fine for the occasional "miss", but as others have stated, it will get shot up quickly.

Look into bullet traps as the primary "stop". Spiral/snail traps might be a good choice for heavy use, while an 'angled plate over sandbox' type would be another choice that I'd tend to reserve for .22 LR and or lighter use (can get dusty).

I also suggest restricting this to your own use.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    like everything, nothing will last for ever.
    you shoot a hole in a drum.
    Replace it before total failure.
    It is much easier to replace one small piece than the whole thing.

ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    Rule #4, and think way way behind your targeted directions and pan out at least 120 degrees.

4rules.jpg

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    Well that is the advantage of using 55 gal drums full of sand.
    You can stack them several drums high.
    You can shape them any way needed.
    If you are using a extremely high caliber.
    You can put in a third or even a forth row of drums as needed.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    If you have neighbors, noise will be a concern. If the range is constructed so that a round can go through the roof or sides, you'd be liable for any injury or property loss if an errant round got out. Baffles can prevent this. As far as you are concerned, lighting must be very good for you to enjoy shooting there, and the lights protected. If anything is downrange, it probably will eventually be shot. Crumb rubber is good for a backstop. You only need about 6" to stop most rounds. It also won't produce lead dust, like a metal backstop. Ventilation is a big problem. The smoke and lead should be directed away from the firing line. That takes some pretty big equipment to move the air. It is hard move the air and remain comfortable in the winter. If youngsters are going to have access, you would have to have a plan to keep the range free of lead dust. Youngsters are more in danger of lead poisoning than are adults. There are special vacuum cleaners that will help remove the lead, but the range should also be wet cleaned. To do it right, building it right is just part of the deal...maintenance will be ongoing. You'll make a whole new pack of shooting buddies, once the word gets around.

Top Bottom