• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • woodstock

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2015
    Sullivan
    My dad and I are planning on making a trip to Ohio in early June. We're going to the CMP north store so I can pick out an M1 Garand hopefully, Im wanting a special field grade. We're also going to the U.S. Air Force museum in Dayton. A friend of mine recommended checking out the museum, it looks awesome from what I've saw online. I have a couple of questions.

Question 1 , I believe that I meet all the requirements to buy a rifle from the CMP, I just need reassurance to make sure I'm eligible, and if you have advice about buying from the CMP that would be helpful.

I'm over 18 years old
    I'm a U.S. citizen and have my birth certificate
    I'm a member of the Garand collectors association
    I have my LTCH,and have been throuh hunters ed
    I'm not a prohibited person

Question 2
    Can anyone recommend anything else to do in Ohio I've never been there before?

By the way feel free to post pictures of your M1 Garand if you have one.

Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Porter county
    I believe that the CMP does not have any rifles for sale on their shelves, they are using their current stock for mail and online orders. I would give them a call before you head out there. Maybe someone who was there recently can chime in and let us know what is really going on.
    I was there in 2014, it was a memorable visit and I hope to return one day. The NRA holds national pistol and rifle competitions there in June or July. That would be a cool event to attend.
    I believe you meet all of the requirements, good luck

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    I have been to the North store a few times. Neat place and worth the trip, if they have rifles? They do also have ammo and M1 accessories on the shelf (at least they did last time I was there). The WPAFB museum is a neat place as well. MUCH to see there. However I must caution you. If the museum is considered part of the military base or you have to go through a military gate to access the museum? I would recommend you not have a Garand in the vehicle if you go to the North store before WAPAFB. Anyone accessing a military installation is subject to a random search of their person and/or vehicle and them finding a weapon is not a good thing. Not trying to be "Donny Downer" Just some recommendations and my two cents. Enjoy!!

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    If you haven't done so already I would contact them and give them your information in advance (the qualifications you listed). When you joined the GCA, did you check the box that tells them to notify the CMP? If not, you'll want to do that too.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    CMP North Store - CMP Forums

Go here to get stock reports for the CMP North Store.
    Here is a report someone posted from Saturday:
    I was there last Saturday morning. They had:
    1)half rack of Rack grade M1Ds - Sub $1000 (in pretty rough shape)
    2)approximately 15-20 Winchester M1Ds - 1750
    3)half rack of I believe some service grade m1cs 2000+

My memory escapes me on exact number and prices but if your looking for a decent selection of M1 D's and C's I would say they had them but then again it was my first trip down so I don't have much experience to compare it too.

hope this helps

There were a few posts after that one on specific items.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Go to entertrainment junction on your way to the AF museum. If you like trains. I like trains.

Buy your rifle through the mail. You probably will not find it on the shelf.

Findlay Ohio is the flag city. Wapakoneta has a pretty cool space museum. Souder Village is a great place to visit in Bryan. Defiance has black powder cartridge rifle matches out to 500 yards.

The best pizza on the planet is in Port Clinton at a bar that I currently cannot remember the name of....edit to add..... It is the Bell Mell. you cannot visit the CMP without stopping by the Bell Mell for pizza...

The train station in Cincinnati is a great place to visit too.

And don't forget the raspberry festival in Mansfield. It is a must see for sure.

Last edited:

woodstock

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2015
    Sullivan
    If you haven't done so already I would contact them and give them your information in advance (the qualifications you listed). When you joined the GCA, did you check the box that tells them to notify the CMP? If not, you'll want to do that too.
    yep I checked the box thanks for reminding me

woodstock

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2015
    Sullivan
    I have been to the North store a few times. Neat place and worth the trip, if they have rifles? They do also have ammo and M1 accessories on the shelf (at least they did last time I was there). The WPAFB museum is a neat place as well. MUCH to see there. However I must caution you. If the museum is considered part of the military base or you have to go through a military gate to access the museum? I would recommend you not have a Garand in the vehicle if you go to the North store before WAPAFB. Anyone accessing a military installation is subject to a random search of their person and/or vehicle and them finding a weapon is not a good thing. Not trying to be "Donny Downer" Just some recommendations and my two cents. Enjoy!!
    Yeah I planed on going to the museum first because of that, thanks for the advice though.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Try to get to the museum as close to 9:00 am as possible (I think that's still when they open), you will not even come close to seeing everything in a days time! The place is overwhelming. The cafeteria in the museum also has pretty good food, and it was reasonably priced the last time I was there, which was about 3 years ago. Even if you don't get a rifle at the CMP, the museum is worth the trip by itself. Be safe and have fun!

TheJoker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County
    Go! Yeah, the inventory isn't great. Get yourself one of those WRA M1Ds. You won't regret it!

lCmpOwS.jpg

CMB69

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    Indy
    Question 2
    Can anyone recommend anything else to do in Ohio I've never been there before?

I-75 skirts the eastern edge of Wapakoneta, OH which was the hometown of Neil Armstrong. The Armstrong Air and Space Museum is located right off I-75. It is a small museum but worth the effort and time spent there. Lots of info/ displays about the Gemini and Apollo programs.

https://www.armstrongmuseum.org/

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort

I would agree with the above. My son and I both went to Port Clinton (CMP north store) and purchased Garands 5 years or so ago. We both submitted our qualifications via snail mail, and were approved prior to driving there. Another thing, if you take the rifle home with you, you will be charged the Ohio sales tax ($57.50 per $1000), if you have it sent to your address at home, it is not taxed in Ohio and they will ship the rifle you pick out to your home, the web site shows free shipping now as far as I can tell, We received ours 2 or three days after our purchase. I think they charged us $25 each to ship when we purchased ours.

Looking at their web site, it appears they have very little choice in grades of M1's at this time. I would sure call before driving that far without knowing if they have the rifle you want! Once you are "qualified" you can keep your "membership" current by ordering something before 2 years elapsed (I do have to email them a copy of my current membership card to the CMP affiliated club). I order some Garand 30-06 ammo every year and en-block clips so I stay current - if I wish I can then order anything they have in stock via phone or Email.

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    FWIW something to pass along with regard to "eligibility" of being able to purchase a CMP weapon and or ammo. If a person is a active member of the military, be it active duty, Guard or Reserves(any branch) and can produce a valid military ID. This also qualifies them to purchase a CMP weapon VS being a member of a associated club and having to shoot in a NRA sanctioned match. This also applies to those who are law enforcement be it full time or reserve. I know this because I am in the military reserves and that is how I got my Garand's and ammo without being in the GCA or other affiliated club and having to shoot in a NRA sanctioned match. I asked them how this qualifies a person? They indicated because the CMP considerers your yearly weapons training in the military or law enforcement as valid same as a NRA sanctioned match. Just passing this along as my experience at the North Store.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    The Air Force mus. has an open parking lot. Drive around the base until you see it.
    If you look down the entrance road and see a guard gate DO NOT GO.
    I did. You have to surrender drivers lic. You are open for Search.
    All that just to make a "U" turn around the guard shack.

When you get there immediately sign up for the tour of the back hangers.
    They bus you through the field to the special hangers.
    it is big and well worth the full day or two.

Neil Armstrong mus. is small but also well worth the time.

Ricnzak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Noblesville
    If I remember correctly it was cheaper for them to overnight the gun to me rather than pay the taxes and carry it out with me. I wish I'd got a case of Greek ammo and one of the giant targets for the garage wall. The people there were very nice. Take your ssn card also. Have fun

TheJoker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County
    If I remember correctly it was cheaper for them to overnight the gun to me rather than pay the taxes and carry it out with me. I wish I'd got a case of Greek ammo and one of the giant targets for the garage wall. The people there were very nice. Take your ssn card also. Have fun

CMP's policy changed several months ago. You must take your rifle with you and pay state and local sales tax.

Top Bottom