• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    I just heard on the WSBN TV news.
    North Carolina has just submitted a bill to its congress. The bill will allow High schools to teach firearm class.

when I was in Chicago Vocational High School in the 60s. We trained on real M1s, M1 carbines, 1911s, and BARs.
    There was a 22 shooting range in the basement.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    In the early to mid 80's we had Rod and Gun club in my high school. No real training other than Hunters Ed. But guns were brought in from time to time for demonstrations topics etc and to hunt after school

Big Dave

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 17, 2013
    I think educating more people about firearms would be a great idea again, but I can't see them doing it.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    It should be mandatory in all schools, starting with either the Nra's Eddie the Eagle program, or something similar in 1st grade.

Audie Murphy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    59   3   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Warsaw
    North Carolina has just submitted a bill to its congress. The bill will allow High schools to teach firearm class.

when I was in Chicago Vocational High School in the 60s. We trained on real M1s, M1 carbines, 1911s, and BARs.

I bet you went to Lane Tech High School. I went there too

sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    At my school we are allowed to have Hunter Ed during our bonus period at the end of the day. We meet once a week. Each week a CO will come in and teach a section, bring someone to teach, or I teach a section. The CO is always there when firearms are taught and they do the ammo section separate. The school has never said anything about guns coming in for class. What irks me though is that they won't allow an archery program. When Indiana was looking to pilot the NASP program, I got a grant to be one of the 10 schools to start it. I keep hoping one of these days things will change. Back in the 90s, before I was there, they had a gun club. Kids brought in their guns, they were locked up in the building, then they all went somewhere after school to shoot. I would love to be able to do something like this.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US

50 years ago we didn't have **** willies running the show.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Last I heard it was a particular point of pride to the brothers of Hayden's masonic lodge to be of some material support to their elementary's archery program. Those kids are tough.
    Call me crazy, but I do think that if every school in the state taught basic archery and basic firearms safety, we'd all be a lot better off in the long run.
    If they were to actually field TEAMS, then we'd be getting somewhere. Wouldn't you love to know who won the IHSAA small bore rifle championship? I sure would.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    When I lived in Virginia and taught Hunter's Ed, we had it in the schools. Great program. The students had their choice to take it as "gym class" or not take it. They also had the option to take our regular evening classes taught at different times and locations during the year.

There were demonstration guns taken in to the school just like we did in the evening classes. No firing pins and made so they could not be fired.

One class, a very stupid boy picked up one of the rifles and pointed it a a buddy and said; "bang, your dead". What followed was parents outraged, school administration meetings, and eventually the parents won out and the program was thrown out of all the schools.

Our evening classes got very full and we added more classes to cover the demand.

It was sad that this happened and it turned out the way it did. Fortunately for young hunter's we had a program already in place to get them the credentials they needed to obtain a hunting license.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I'm all for firearm education, but not by liberal, professional "educators," or even, the .gov.

All too easy for government/public ed firearms "education" to be delivered as anti-firearms propaganda/indoctrination.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    It should be mandatory in all schools, starting with either the Nra's Eddie the Eagle program, or something similar in 1st grade.

Always makes for an uncomfortable conversation with an anti-gunner. The mantra is always if we save one child's life. What better way to teach children about gun safety than to make it part of the school curriculum. Even have real (unloaded) guns so those who are visual learners understand simple things like dropping the magazine can still leave a round in the chamber. It also takes the mystery out of a firearm for kids whose parents do not own them.

Our schools teach them about the dangers of drugs. Our schools teach them how to have sex. Why not guns? Well because guns are evil and if we bury our head in the sand children will be safe, especially in the designated Gun Free Zones.

Do it for the children!

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Well, I'm one of the old men, graduated high school in 59. We didn't have any firearm training in school, but many firearms were visible in the cars and trucks of both students and teachers in the school parking lot at the start of the hunting seasons. Almost every boy, (and a very few girls) hunted and fished regularly, most having been trained in firearms by family members. I would sure like to see training in schools. I believe those trained and educated in firearm use would not be scammed by the liberal media and gun haters.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    Well, I'm one of the old men, graduated high school in 59. We didn't have any firearm training in school, but many firearms were visible in the cars and trucks of both students and teachers in the school parking lot at the start of the hunting seasons. Almost every boy, (and a very few girls) hunted and fished regularly, most having been trained in firearms by family members. I would sure like to see training in schools. I believe those trained and educated in firearm use would not be scammed by the liberal media and gun haters.

:rockwoot:

Dimitrivich

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 18, 2017
    Unknown
    It would be wonderful if we could ingrain the four rules of gun safety into every child. However, just this past year local parents lost their **** when the NRA course was just being discussed. I understand that not everyone wants to own firearms, but it seems to be common sense to me that every child should have a understanding of what to do if/when they come into contact with one. I get that people want to shelter their kids. (Not my cup of tea, but whatever. Not my kid...) But if you refuse to let your kid learn basic gun safety, and something happened to them, I don't know how that parent could ever live with themselves.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I'll never understand a person that's Ok with their kid being taught how to have protected sex in health class, but won't let them learn about gun safety. But, then again, I don't pretend to understand most liberals. I'd have to have a lobotomy before I could see their perspective.

jamil

code ho
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I'm all for firearm education, but not by liberal, professional "educators," or even, the .gov.

All too easy for government/public ed firearms "education" to be delivered as anti-firearms propaganda/indoctrination.

This would be my concern. Even in schools where the faculty isn't mostly bat **** crazy leftists, we'd still have to worry about FUDDs teaching it.

Always makes for an uncomfortable conversation with an anti-gunner. The mantra is always if we save one child's life. What better way to teach children about gun safety than to make it part of the school curriculum. Even have real (unloaded) guns so those who are visual learners understand simple things like dropping the magazine can still leave a round in the chamber. It also takes the mystery out of a firearm for kids whose parents do not own them.

Our schools teach them about the dangers of drugs. Our schools teach them how to have sex. Why not guns? Well because guns are evil and if we bury our head in the sand children will be safe, especially in the designated Gun Free Zones.

Do it for the children!

That's one thing that doesn't matter to them when it comes to guns. I've told the story before how my brother in law said that he would never let his kids take any gun safety classes because he's afraid it might get them to be open to owning firearms, and he did not want to contribute more "gun" people to society. In follow-up conversation it seemed obvious that even if it could prevent them from being harmed in some future event, he still wouldn't want anyone to teach them anything about firearms. That's just how they role. "if it will save just one child's life" only applies to them getting to impose their worldviews on you.

IndyGlockMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Fishers
    Yeah, I'd like to see the NRA step into our schools and teach an age appropriate firearms safety and educational program for 2nd grade, 4th, 6th, 8th, 10th & 12th grades.
    That way, the kids get brought up on it even if it's just for a couple weeks every other year.
    There's hundreds of millions of guns just in the USA so it's really impossible to argue against educating our kids on basic gun safety.
    Education for the Children!! The children!! The CHILDREN!!!!
    Have the class be totally non-political, not pro-gun or anti-gun, just the facts about safety, history, and basic gun knowledge & nomenclature.
    It's a place to start.... take a page from the Progressive's handbook and progress some gun knowledge up in there little by little until we get to IHSAA small bore leagues.
    That would be sweet

hey.... isn't Governor Holcomb's wife an NRA Instructor? I think i read that somewhere...
    Might be a good pet project for the First Lady of Indiana... Just say'n

Last edited:

Viper1973

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    When I went to school (graduated in 1991), I remember my high school math teacher having a loaded pistol in a holster sitting out in the open on his desk. My chemistry teacher had a loaded shotgun set in the corner of that classroom behind his desk.

Was never an issue... Each year we got the lecture they were off limits unless it was an emergency.

We didn't have school resource officers, etc. and were totally safe.

However, back then it wasn't uncommon for a teacher to make a kid kiss the floor if they got violent or out of control.

God I miss those days :)

Top Bottom