• ...and so much more!
  • BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Some grips on guns are kinda slick. I know that some folks stipple their grips and that works ok. Other folks put skateboard tape on their grips and that works ok, although it is somewhat a temporary fix. I have a new Gatekeeper II and although I haven't been able to take it out to the range and shoot it yet (it's only 2 days old), I was wondering if anyone had tried Plasti Dip on their stocks/ grips. It can be purchased as an aerosol and I thought that would probably be the best way to apply it. Anybody have any experience with Plasti Dip?

medcoxo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    Indy, Westside
    Plastidip will also only be temporary- and once any cleaning fluid hits it, it will 'melt' and become a mess. Try some ' stone texture paint'. It can be gotten at any of the hardware store paid dept . Menards has it. You can also get different colors. I have not tried it, but am planning to do a pistol grip, hand guard, and maybe a couple mags to complete the look.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Plastidip will also only be temporary- and once any cleaning fluid hits it, it will 'melt' and become a mess. Try some ' stone texture paint'. It can be gotten at any of the hardware store paid dept . Menards has it. You can also get different colors. I have not tried it, but am planning to do a pistol grip, hand guard, and maybe a couple mags to complete the look.
    I only use Hoppes Elite, which is water based, so that might not be an issue. Let me know how you like the stone texture paint and post pictures if you can.

jstrahl

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 22, 2009
    Franklin
    I've done the bumpers, running boards, and emblems on my truck. Its been about 1 1/2 years so far and I've only had to touch up the running boards. So far its been pretty resilient in the weather and I also wash it by hand quite a bit. Gun oils will be harsher than car products though so I can't say how well it would hold up to that.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I don't shoot a lot, but skateboard tape on my 1911 has held up fine with 2 years use and several thousand rounds. And if and when it degrades, I can just put a new piece on and keep rocking.

I also have some on my Shield and my new CZ.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I agree on the solvents. Lots of "I use it on my vehicle and its fine." When did you last use #9 or other solvent to clean your truck?

I'd treat a piece of wood (or material similar to your stock if its synthetic) and then expose it to your solvent. That way if it doesnt survive, you arent left with a gun with issues.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Now I'm wondering if I got a beach cruiser bicycle inner tube (around 2"), if I could just cut off a length and slip it over the bird's head pistol grip?

dung

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2017
    Charlestwon
    I made a extension for my mouse rest a few years back and coated it with plastidip. It will certainly wear off with lots of contact. Paint thinner will destroy it quickly, i can't imagine gun solvents being gentle enough.

It certainly will last on a car. I won't dispute that.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    they sell grip sleeves to fit most grips at Bass Pro, Cabellas, Walmart and at just about any gun shop about $10.
    I like them for the molded dimples finger grips.
    IT help me keep my hand grip up high for proper hold.
    It should be a bit Difficult to slip on. If it is a bit loose shim it until snug.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    they sell grip sleeves to fit most grips at Bass Pro, Cabellas, Walmart and at just about any gun shop about $10.
    I like them for the molded dimples finger grips.
    IT help me keep my hand grip up high for proper hold.
    It should be a bit Difficult to slip on. If it is a bit loose shim it until snug.
    I'm familiar with those slip on grips for pistols. I suppose if I take off the birdshead grip and pull it on from the narrow part that one of those might work.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Thanks for all the advice against the Plasti Dip. Because of that, I decided to go another direction. I had a Hogue Handall grip that I had used on a S&W single stack. I tried it on the Gatekeeper II and it was too big. Maybe the Hogue Handall, JR would work. I ended up with a piece of bicycle inner tube (1 1/4"?) that I'd gotten free from a bike repair shop. I removed the birdshead grip and started from the smaller end and worked the piece of inner tube onto the grip. It took some finger strength and patience, but it fit (necessity is the mother of invention). It feels much better to me than the original textured plastic finish. I like that it didn't add any appreciable thickness to the grip. If I don't like it, no great loss.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I've tested three types. It's tougher than you guys think. Good luck getting it off if you mess up.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    Now I'm wondering if I got a beach cruiser bicycle inner tube (around 2"), if I could just cut off a length and slip it over the bird's head pistol grip?

I've had a bicycle inner tube 'grip sleeve' on my glock 19 for at least 10 years. Be sure to thoroughly clean the talcum powder out of the inside of the tube before use.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I've had a bicycle inner tube 'grip sleeve' on my glock 19 for at least 10 years. Be sure to thoroughly clean the talcum powder out of the inside of the tube before use.
    Too late! That being said, the inner tube is older and didn't seem to have much powder in it. The rough texture of the birdshead grip and tight fit pretty much insure that it isn't going to slip off. Your advice is very good, though.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Can you please clarify what three things you tested?

Sure. I'll check this weekend. I know one was Plasti-Dip, one was the Rustoleum brand but I don't recal the 3rd. It may have been Flex Seal. They all had various peel off characteristics and slightly different textures. I was testing these on a 1st gen Steyr M40.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    T...I removed the birdshead grip and started from the smaller end and worked the piece of inner tube onto the grip. It took some finger strength and patience, but it fit (necessity is the mother of invention). ...

Using rubbing alcohol as a "lube" allows bicycle grips to slip on easily. I suspect it could be useful in this application as well.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tatdale2
    Top Bottom