Looking for steel competition shoots for kids.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rio

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2017
    SE Indiana
    My son and daughter love shooting the few .22 matches that we go to each year. Wanting to ramp it up this year and both of the kids have moved on to .22 combat style pistols. Wanted to ask here if anyone is aware of matches similar to this? We are located in the SE corner of the state but wouldn't mind driving to Indy for a match. I would have put this in the competition section but it appears to be more 3 gun or similar match oriented.

Thanks

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    Silver Creek conservation club has steel challenge style matches.(Sellersburg)
    South Central (Freetown)
    BGSL (Wilmore Ky)
    ORPCI (Lewisport KY)
    Al have Steel challenge type matches in southern Indiana and northern Kentucky.
    Not sure what you mean "combat style matches" but USPSA and IDPA don't have 22 divisions.

Rio

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2017
    SE Indiana
    They have moved on to combat style pistols I.E. M&P .22 compact. Not a target pistol at all but they ring steel nice with them. Mostly my concern is that they compete against other kids. Many that I found don't have a jr class.
    Thanks for the info I will see what I can find.

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    Check out the NMLRA in Friendship. They also have .22 competitions for youth. I'm not sure about pistol but they have rifle I know. My kids are in the Dearborn County 4-H competitions but they often don't allow you to use your own pistols on competition day so if you are dead set on using only your own pistol then that may not be for you (they do that to be fair to the kids whose parents cannot afford their own pistol.) Your kids can practice there with their own pistol but for the final competition you have to use a club gun. The pistol instructor is a very nice guy & stresses safety.

GNRPowdeR

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bartholomew Co.
    Just West of Columbus is the HHRP Monday Steel Valley match, FNS (Friday Night Steel) are Marion County Fish and Game (Speedway, IN), then both the Steel Challenge and the USPSA matches at South Central Gun Club (Freetown, IN)... All of them are advertised in the Shooting Sports Sub

Rio

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2017
    SE Indiana
    Check out the NMLRA in Friendship. They also have .22 competitions for youth. I'm not sure about pistol but they have rifle I know. My kids are in the Dearborn County 4-H competitions but they often don't allow you to use your own pistols on competition day so if you are dead set on using only your own pistol then that may not be for you (they do that to be fair to the kids whose parents cannot afford their own pistol.) Your kids can practice there with their own pistol but for the final competition you have to use a club gun. The pistol instructor is a very nice guy & stresses safety.

That is one that they currently shoot. Hope to get them to a few more. As for the 4H that sounds good. Might have something similar in our county.

Really just hoping to get to get them to more organized shoots.

Thanks for the info.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    That is one that they currently shoot. Hope to get them to a few more. As for the 4H that sounds good. Might have something similar in our county.

Really just hoping to get to get them to more organized shoots.

Thanks for the info.

Why don't you just make a plan to go watch a Steel Challenge match at Silver Creek or South Central? See if it looks like what you might be interested in. Be sure to take eye and ear protection.

You can track the matches here:

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/shooting-sports/

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Just looking online for ringing steel.

South Central in Freetown is the second Saturday of the month

Silver Creek in Sellersburg is the fourth Saturday of the month

Hoosier Hills in GnawBone hosts Monday night steel matches.

Not sure where in SE IN the OP is but one of those has got to be fairly close. There is a lot of shooting to be had between those 3 clubs.

Top Bottom