• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    So I see claims like dual recoil springs or Heavy duty recoil springs. With regards to felt recoil in a 45 ACP Aluminium Frame 1911 does it really affect perceived recoil? Or is it more of a marketing tool. Particularly of interest is the Wiley Clap Commander Aluminium 1911. I picked up one at a LGS and it felt awesome. But I wonder if it would be fun at the Range?

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I'm no expert on these matters, but there is nothing that can reverse basic physics regarding recoil, except to work with physics by making the gun heavier, firing a less powerful round, or by using a compensator of some sort.
    Any other measures (grips, buffers, springs, etc.) will only affect perceived recoil, meaning they either distribute the impact with your hand over a wider area, act as cushions, or spread out the duration of the recoil impulse somewhat to make it less of an impact and more of a shove.
    A stouter recoil spring is mainly used to help soften the slide slamming into the receiver with stronger loads, and the effect with affecting perceived recoil is secondary, if any.

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The recoil spring is one point of tune in a 1911. To over spring it to take away recoil will effect function.
    The light frame will let you feel a bit more re-coil.

Last edited:

sporter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southern, Indiana
    A lighter recoil spring can make the gun run a little flatter. However the felt recoil can increase. An increase in reco
    il spring weight can actually increase mechanical recoil while reducing the slide impact/battering against the frame.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Theoretically, if the recoil impulse is stretched out over a longer time, there can be less peak recoil even though the total recoil energy remains the same. Whether this can be done effectively with springs....I'll leave that to others.

walt o

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    Hammond
    A flat F.P.stop and a heaver hammer spring can reduce felt recoil as much or more than a heaver recoil spring .The recoil spring should be called the return spring.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    As others have said, springs can affect perceived recoil but how much energy is pushing back is physics. bullet goes one way, gun goes the other, and your hand is the only thing in the way. Multiple springs (if they're different rates stacked in series to get the effect of a progressive spring) can certainly mitigate the perceived recoil by spreading it out more smoothly than a single-rate spring but I can't speak about the specific products in question, more the theory of it.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    S[peaking of recoil springs - there's always room for tuning.
    IF you use a consistent load, you might be able to eliminate some of the felt recoil.
    This is usually given up in exchange for reliability using a variety of ammo and in potentially dirty conditions.
    Too weak of a main recoil spring = may not go fully into battery under dirty conditions, can also have slide slamming into frame during ejection
    Too strong of a main recoil spring = may not cycle well (esp. with light loads), can also have slide slamming closed upon loading.

As far as the style, the double springs and nested styles (like the gen4 Glocks or XDMs), offer weaker resistance at first and then much stiffer resistance -- it's just another way to try to find the sweet spot between too weak or strong of a spring.

As someone said above, you can't really cheat the physics involved. A lighter gun (like an aluminum commander 1911) will have more felt recoil than a heavier gun. Does that Wiley Clapp commander come with a double spring??

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    S[peaking of recoil springs - there's always room for tuning.
    IF you use a consistent load, you might be able to eliminate some of the felt recoil.
    This is usually given up in exchange for reliability using a variety of ammo and in potentially dirty conditions.
    Too weak of a main recoil spring = may not go fully into battery under dirty conditions, can also have slide slamming into frame during ejection
    Too strong of a main recoil spring = may not cycle well (esp. with light loads), can also have slide slamming closed upon loading.

As far as the style, the double springs and nested styles (like the gen4 Glocks or XDMs), offer weaker resistance at first and then much stiffer resistance -- it's just another way to try to find the sweet spot between too weak or strong of a spring.

As someone said above, you can't really cheat the physics involved. A lighter gun (like an aluminum commander 1911) will have more felt recoil than a heavier gun. Does that Wiley Clapp commander come with a double spring??
    I am not sure he said they used different springs to reduce recoil. Which to me seems odd. I do know it felt nice. And honestly weight for me is not an issue. So perhaps it may be best to stay all steel. I just had the urge to add to my 401k lo!.

Sling10mm

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    My wife's favorite firearm is an aluminum frame Kimber Pro Covert II. She doesn't seem to have any issues shooting it, although she does like to wear cloves to keep the checkering from chewing her hands up.

Top Bottom