• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dddrees

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2016
    Central
    From the little I've seen thus far a good number of folks track the number of rounds they fire in any particular gun. In my mind this doesn't sound like such a bad idea as it certainly would give you a better idea when maintenance might need to be conducted or springs my need to be replaced. Currently I have only 8 guns but I'm looking to make this as easy as possible but include those things which will make my life easier. Seems like I could certainly whip something up to do this, however I'm not sure yet what else you might want to track. So my question is who does this using a spreadsheet and would you mind sharing any ideas or actual spreadsheets you use?

Last edited:

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I personally don't use spread sheets. I shoot person guns and then with my job as an Agency instructor I have work guns that are used for training. I have a rough estimate in my head. My suggestions is unless you are a regimented shooter (like a competitor with X number of days with X number of rounds per week/month) most people are fine changing recoil springs once a year or so. Of course you will inspect slide rails etc at every cleaning but unless your hard on them like a 50,000 round a year competition shooter or a SWAT troop not really that big a deal with tracking IMHO

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    My suggestions is unless you are a regimented shooter (like a competitor with X number of days with X number of rounds per week/month) most people are fine changing recoil springs once a year or so.

Correct me if I am wrong, but to me a new recoil spring every year seems excessive for most shooters.

I don't shoot as often as I'd like, but I shoot more than most other gun owners I know in my family or circle of friends. It's rare that I put more than 1500-2000 rds through a single gun in a year.

There's no way I'm changing out recoil springs every 2k rounds.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Correct me if I am wrong, but to me a new recoil spring every year seems excessive for most shooters.

I don't shoot as often as I'd like, but I shoot more than most other gun owners I know in my family or circle of friends. It's rare that I put more than 1500-2000 rds through a single gun in a year.

There's no way I'm changing out recoil springs every 2k rounds.

With 9mm not a big deal but generally every 5,000 rounds is a good guide. Which for most shooters if you averaged it would be yearly. Obviously if you don't shoot but 100 rounds a month then it wouldn't be needed. Glock recommends every 5-6k if I remember the Glock Armorers school (haven't looked at my notes for a while) and Beretta (when the Armorer came in) suggests every year period and that was the major problem with the early version s locking block breaking frequently (my agency used Beretta's for a while)

I have seen agency Sig's with no springs changed and they started going sluggish around 30,000 rounds but we're very very soft after about 6 months but they were used excessively.

Most private shooters are probably ok going a little longer.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    I create some pretty gnarly spreadsheets for work so throwing something together for myself for this was small stuff. I track where I get guns, where they go (for the 2 I've ever gotten rid of anyway), round count, ammo inventory, reloading records, as well as reloading data. I have similar stuff for all vehicles too. Certainly don't need to for as much as I shoot but it's easy enough (For me) and satisfies my OCD. There have been a few threads about tracking such things.

gopher

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 13, 2013
    Zionsville, IN
    A spreadsheet doesn't need to be too complex. My spreadsheet just tracks rounds fired (I keep my empty ammo boxes and bring them home as a reminder of what and how much I shot), type of ammo (manufacturer, bullet weight, etc.), columns for whatever malfunctions you want to track and a column for miscellaneous comments. At the bottom, I add where I bought the gun, how much paid and the serial # (some folks might argue against recording that...). The rounds per range trip column is totaled for total round count for the firearm.

Your cellphone camera is useful to photograph ammo boxes as a reminder of exactly what you shot as well as any malfunctions you might have had.

Gaffer

Shhhh.......
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2016
    Southern IN
    I am working on a program that I wrote for myself, but I will be sharing it with anyone that wants to use it. This will be released as freeware. It probably won't be for everyone, but you can use as much or as little of the database as you want or need. I am almost ready to have a few folks test it before I release it. It does run on Windows platforms. I built it using Microsoft Access, but you don't need this software to run it. I plan on starting its own thread soon, but thought this might be a good time to at least mention it.

I won't go over all the features yet, but I do have some actual screen shots that show a lot of what it can do.

The screen shots that can be found here: Gun and Ammunition Database

Ron

Dddrees

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2016
    Central
    I am working on a program that I wrote for myself, but I will be sharing it with anyone that wants to use it. This will be released as freeware. It probably won't be for everyone, but you can use as much or as little of the database as you want or need. I am almost ready to have a few folks test it before I release it. It does run on Windows platforms. I built it using Microsoft Access, but you don't need this software to run it. I plan on starting its own thread soon, but thought this might be a good time to at least mention it.

I won't go over all the features yet, but I do have some actual screen shots that show a lot of what it can do.

The screen shots that can be found here: Gun and Ammunition Database

Ron

Very nice, I would certainly be interested in giving a go if that's Ok with you. Any idea when you think it'll be ready for release?

Top Bottom