What do you think happens when you shoot a Prince Ruperts Drop?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    That's awesome. Annealing the tail was genius. Usually the slightest disturbance to the tail makes the whole thing blow. He actually cut the tail off with the .22 mag without hurting the rest of the drop.

The original videos explain the history of the drop (which is like 400 year old technology), as well as his theory for why they are so strong. In a nutshell, the differential cooling rates between the core and exterior put the glass structure in a tremendous amount of tension.

I would like like to see a hard projectile, like a Raufus round or some kind of tungsten sabot. Very interesting.

12many

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    over there
    He talks about shooting it with 5.56 and 7.62x39 later on. Also there is one where it takes like 40 tons in a press to but it

IndyTom

Expert
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Oct 3, 2013
    Fishers
    I was out looking for the .223/AK video last week, glad it got posted. I'd call that first shot with the AK a failure as it shattered from the tail to the head. The second shot was very interesting in that it started at the head before starting from the tail, too, and the shatter waves met well down the tail. Too bad he didn't try the Mosin. :)

Definitely good stuff and certainly interesting. I wonder if the soft nose .223 would have made any difference.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I was out looking for the .223/AK video last week, glad it got posted. I'd call that first shot with the AK a failure as it shattered from the tail to the head. The second shot was very interesting in that it started at the head before starting from the tail, too, and the shatter waves met well down the tail. Too bad he didn't try the Mosin. :)

Definitely good stuff and certainly interesting. I wonder if the soft nose .223 would have made any difference.

Yep. But it still shattered that 30 cal bullet.

Top Bottom