• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Not a fan of the xd but like the idea of it being hammer fired and with a hammer drop lever.

I keep seeing comments such as this? Honest question, why the affinity for a hammer fired gun? I suppose I could see some people being more comfortable holstering a double action firearm. Other then that I see no advantage.

Just FYI I own and carry both hammer and striker fired guns.

dung

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2017
    Charlestwon
    I don't have much experience with other firearms, but I prefer handling/feel of a hammer fired gun vs striker. It is just what I grew up with.

I guess you get a more deliberate first shot vs striker

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    I keep seeing comments such as this? Honest question, why the affinity for a hammer fired gun? I suppose I could see some people being more comfortable holstering a double action firearm. Other then that I see no advantage.

I have both hammer and striker-fired as well, and I just love the hammer-fired guns when compared to their striker-fired brethren. Maybe it is just more of a metal frame vs. plastic, but to me the hammer-fired guns have more of a quality feel to them. More solid somehow.

Of course, I am an old guy and a bit old school about a lot of things.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I have both hammer and striker-fired as well, and I just love the hammer-fired guns when compared to their striker-fired brethren. Maybe it is just more of a metal frame vs. plastic, but to me the hammer-fired guns have more of a quality feel to them. More solid somehow.

Of course, I am an old guy and a bit old school about a lot of things.

That I get. Metal guns!!!! Except this is a polymer framed hammer fired gun. Most of my experience with those types of guns have been the LCP, KelTec, Walther PK380. Essentially all low cost guns. I was very impressed with the FNP. There was a nice quality gun that was a commercial flop. The American consumer is a fickle beast.

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Would like to look and handle one. My estimation is that it is a lower cost 1911 compact that they are going after.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011

Isn't that enough?

Tactile and Visual Feedback for me mainly and of course the psychological advantage of familiarity.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008

Respectfully I will add (as someone that started a LE career with revolvers and have seen every evolution in firearms for duty the last 31 years)

While striker guns have a lot to offer and are good guns they are not a cure all. Hammer fired guns like Sig are some of the best combat weapons available. Yes there is the de cock to learn but that was not a big deal to learn if one had some attention it became a natural thing.

Now trigger pull, while some dis the DA/SA it actually is a easy to use system again if one has an attention span and can learn. I used Beretta and Sig's and out of the box most Sig's don't need anything. They are smooth with an 8-10 lb DA and 3-4 lb with a lot less reset than any striker fired. So a hammer fired gun does have certian benefits.

Look at the popularity and success of the Sig, CZ and others in IDPA. While poly srtikers outnumber the da/sa guns the ones there make a pretty good showing.

So while striker guns are good at what they do there is nothing wrong with a good day/sa hammer gun. And ISP, PA State Police, USSS, FAM and a ton of others have good results

Just glad we have the choices we have today over what was out there in 1986.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis

I haven't been shooting handguns long, but I've learned that I get more feedback from the triggers on the hammer fired choices than I do with the striker fired ones. I'm quite fond of my PPQ, but it tells me a lot less about what's going on during the process than my Range Officer does. I'm sure there is a reason in the systems for why that it, but I'm not to that u derstanding yet. I just know one feels better, more talkative.

Grabted this comes from a limited experiences, so it may change given more experience and time.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    My first modern handgun was a Glock 17.
    It was a nice firing weapon.
    That was until it sat in my drawer for 2 1/2 years.
    Before I knew about Glock's warranty.
    I was new in the area and was at work for 12 1/2 hours well away from home.
    I only knew of one range and it closed for 2 years for remodeling.
    The next time I was at the range. It failed to fire 70% of the rounds.
    NO imprint in the primer.
    I stored the Glock cocked with one it the chamber.
    The striker spring lost tension.
    A hammer shows me the status immediately.
    When I release the hammer the spring is out of tension.
    I do prefer a single / double action weapon.
    I did find two S / D striker fired with decocker.
    I do see their advantage also.
    I always say, it is like owning a car.
    You find one that you like and are comfortable using.
    I purchased a Honda Acord.
    The seat was miserable to sit in.
    I sold it after 6000 miles and took a lose of about $7000.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Once it's been on the market for a few years, any recalls are shaken out, the quality is known, and the stupid marketing push has died down...I might consider one as an ankle gun.

Springfield marketing makes the backs of my eyes ache, though, due to all the rolling. Grip zone...:rolleyes:

seldon14

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    My first modern handgun was a Glock 17.
    It was a nice firing weapon.
    That was until it sat in my drawer for 2 1/2 years.
    Before I knew about Glock's warranty.
    I was new in the area and was at work for 12 1/2 hours well away from home.
    I only knew of one range and it closed for 2 years for remodeling.
    The next time I was at the range. It failed to fire 70% of the rounds.
    NO imprint in the primer.
    I stored the Glock cocked with one it the chamber.
    The striker spring lost tension.
    A hammer shows me the status immediately.
    When I release the hammer the spring is out of tension.
    I do prefer a single / double action weapon.
    I did find two S / D striker fired with decocker.
    I do see their advantage also.
    I always say, it is like owning a car.
    You find one that you like and are comfortable using.
    I purchased a Honda Acord.
    The seat was miserable to sit in.
    I sold it after 6000 miles and took a lose of about $7000.

The striker spring, will not lose energy from being stored compressed like that (beyond a very minor amount). Money is on someone oiling the striker channel, and that drying into crud.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    The striker spring, will not lose energy from being stored compressed like that (beyond a very minor amount). Money is on someone oiling the striker channel, and that drying into crud.

When I read the response about a loaded gun I immediately thought the same thing. Glocks just don't go bad by no use.

LAPD and Portland Police Bureau had issues with failures to fire on Glocks when they went to them. The issue was traced to officer's oiling/lubing the firing pin channel

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    And interestingly enough 1911s which are hammer fired are carried and stored with the hammer back. This compresses the mainspring. No different then a striker spring.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    And interestingly enough 1911s which are hammer fired are carried and stored with the hammer back. This compresses the mainspring. No different then a striker spring.

Actually there is a slight difference. On most strikers (Glock, M&P) the striker is not under any tension. Until the trigger is pulled then it pulls it to the rear and releases it (much like launching a pinball)

XD's are actually partially cocked. Striker is under partial tension and when trigger is pulled it only releases the partially cocked striker. Relevent by the pin in the back of XD's that show it cocked. (IDPA use to allow XD's in ESP due to that)

1911's just the hammer spring. And agree folks have kept them cocked for years and they still go bang

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I got to handle one today. Should be a winner--compact, hammer-fired pistol for $450 or so to compete with the Glock M19 and what not.

Tam has fired over 400 rounds with one (out to 50 meters) and likes it well enough.

Nothing I am going to drool over (I mean its not a Smith M45 Postal Revolver), but I am not the market as I'm not in the market for a single stack 9mm, but many are. Each to his own and all that.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Here's famed gun riter and INGO Tam's take on it: View From The Porch: It's 9:00AM somewhere...

Tam shooting the XDE a couple of months ago in Nevada, pew, pew, pew!

3O6A9214.jpg

Top Bottom