• walt o

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    Hammond
    something to ponder
    John Is My Heart

This is a well-written article about a father who put several of his kids through expensive colleges but one son wanted to be a Marine. Interesting observation by this dad. See below. A very interesting commentary that says a lot about our failing and fallen society.

By Frank Schaeffer of the Washington Post

"Before my son became a Marine, I never thought much about who was defending me. Now when I read of the war on terrorism or the coming conflict in Iraq, it cuts to my heart. When I see a picture of a member of our military who has been killed, I read his or her name very carefully Sometimes I cry.

In 1999, when the barrel-chested Marine recruiter showed up in dress blues and bedazzled my son John, I did not stand in the way. John was headstrong, and he seemed to understand these stern, clean men with straight backs and flawless uniforms. I did not. I live in the Volvo-driving, higher education-worshiping North Shore of Boston. I write novels for a living. I have never served in the military.

It had been hard enough sending my two older children off to Georgetown and New York University. John's enlisting was unexpected, so deeply unsettling. I did not relish the prospect of answering the question, "So where is John going to college?" from the parents who were itching to tell me all about how their son or daughter was going to Harvard. At the private high school John attended, no other students were going into the military.

"But aren't the Marines terribly Southern?" (Says a lot about open-mindedness in the Northeast) asked one perplexed mother while standing next to me at the brunch following graduation. "What a waste, he was such a good student," said another parent. One parent (a professor at a nearby and rather famous university) spoke up at a school meeting and suggested that the school should “carefully evaluate what went wrong."

When John graduated from three months of boot camp on Parris Island, 3000 parents and friends were on the parade deck stands. We parents and our Marines not only were of many races but also were representative of many economic classes. Many were poor. Some arrived crammed in the backs of pickups, others by bus. John told me that a lot of parents could not afford the trip.

We in the audience were white and Native American. We were Hispanic, Arab, and African American, and Asian. We were former Marines wearing the scars of battle, or at least baseball caps emblazoned with battles' names. We were Southern whites from Nashville and skinheads from New Jersey, black kids from Cleveland wearing ghetto rags and white ex-cons with ham-hock forearms defaced by jailhouse tattoos. We would not have been mistaken for the educated and well-heeled parents gathered on the lawns of John’s private school a half-year before.

After graduation one new Marine told John, "Before I was a Marine, if I had ever seen you on my block I would've probably killed you just because you were standing there." This was a serious statement from one of John’s good friends, a black ex-gang member from Detroit who, as John said, "would die for me now, just like I'd die for him."

My son has connected me to my country in a way that I was too selfish and insular to experience before. I feel closer to the waitress at our local diner than to some of my oldest friends. She has two sons in the Corps. They are facing the same dangers as my boy. When the guy who fixes my car asks me how John is doing, I know he means it. His younger brother is in the Navy.

Why were I and the other parents at my son's private school so surprised by his choice? During World War II, the sons and daughters of the most powerful and educated families did their bit If the idea of the immorality of the Vietnam War was the only reason those lucky enough to go to college dodged the draft, why did we not encourage our children to volunteer for military service once that war was done?

Have we wealthy and educated Americans all become pacifists? Is the world a safe place? Or have we just gotten used to having somebody else defend us? What is the future of our democracy when the sons and daughters of the janitors at our elite universities are far more likely to be put in harm’s way than are any of the students whose dorms their parents clean?

I feel shame because it took my son's joining the Marine Corps to make me take notice of who is defending me. I feel hope because perhaps my son is part of a future "greatest generation." As the storm clouds of war gather, at least I know that I can look the men and women in uniform in the eye. My son is one of them. He is the best I have to offer. John is my heart.

Faith is not about everything turning out OK; Faith is about being OK no matter how things turn out."

Oh, how I wish so many of our younger generations could read this article. It makes me so sad to hear the way they talk with no respect for what their fathers, grandfathers and great grandfathers experienced so they can live in freedom. Freedom has been replaced with Free-Dumb. Please pass this on . . . .

Sent this to another friend and her reply=Thank you for this Walter -- made me teary-eyed and very proud to be married to a Marine, and the grandmother of a girl engaged to a Marine! (and yes, I forwarded this to them!) Joanne

Virus-free. www.avg.com

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The only issue I have with this is...It is a republic. Please remember this.

The article is amazing and shows the differences in class and location.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Society continues to be more and more disconnected from the military and war. There's no pain to war for the vast majority of the population. There's no rationing. There's no draft. If you, or someone you personally know (which is a smaller and smaller percentage of the population) is not actively involved in the military, then our war has no effect on you at all. You'd be quite forgiven for forgetting we are still involved in a pair of wars on most days. Even the news is bored with it for the most part. Oh, a SEAL may die and hit the news cycle for a few days. Then it's forgotten again.

Sure makes it easier to keep the wars going, though. Can you imagine how many more pacifists we'd have if every time we went to war a 3% national sales tax was put in place for the duration to fund the war effort?

Last edited:

walt o

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    Hammond
    just the opposite in a democracy the masses dictate to the minority, in a republic each and every individual has a voice .
    It is a shame that to some they use both to describe the other.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    C.M.
    Do not understand your comment about being a REPUBLIC ?

Here you go Walt....One of the many things (aside from experiencing the last ice age together) that Chruch and I have in common is reminding folks that we are, in fact, a Republic...

the-united-states-is-not-a-democracy-its-a-republic-5952621.png

Very nice post and thank you for sharing it with us......

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    great post, good article, and good reminder on being a republic. I never correct people when I hear them say "We live in a democracy."
    I WILL NOW, because we all KNOW this but we forget it so easily.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    My son in law is a Marine. As any father, I had mixed emotions about giving away my only daughter. Him being a Marine will make their life together much harder, but I couldn't be prouder of them.

Plus, as I said at their wedding reception, his training as a Marine will prepare him well for life with my little angel. He is used to following orders, she is great at giving them. He can stand without flinching as somebody screams irrational, incomprehensible, gibberish in his face. This is exactly what happens when you try to engage in an early morning conversation with my sweet, baby girl.:laugh:

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    My son has connected me to my country in a way that I was too selfish and insular to experience before.

It's weird attitude that used to be bi-coastal but is not pervasive wherever upper-middle class and upper-class people gather. Even here in the midwest. I see it all the time.

I find much of what he described in his "before" narrative to be foreign, and thankfully so.

It is an interesting piece, but one that highlights, to me, our division more than our unity.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I find much of what he described in his "before" narrative to be foreign, and thankfully so.

J J Grey and Mofro address this perfectly in the song Country Ghetto I believe.....Alien to me as well...And thankfully so..

[video=youtube;ycu2ZYH-9F8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycu2ZYH-9F8[/video]

"No I'm not tame....
    the only voice that speaks to me
    Speaks from the clay......
    Little boy don't you ever take a dime
    from the man....
    You starve to death before you live by
    a Government handout...It's family policy...

Life in a country ghetto..."

Last edited:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    It's weird attitude that used to be bi-coastal but is not pervasive wherever upper-middle class and upper-class people gather. Even here in the midwest. I see it all the time.

It is an interesting piece, but one that highlights, to me, our division more than our unity.

I agree.

Top Bottom