0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    How so? Please elaborate.

38 just seems like a lot.....I don't know what percentage of firearms out there are machine guns but it seems the folks that own them are pretty good and keeping them stored and safe...I was wondering whether a class III dealer may have had a burglary or something that year...I don't know...I just pulled the numbers and maybe it isn't that many after all....

How many machine guns are in the US?

In 1995 there were over 240,000 machine guns registered with the ATF. Approximately half of those are owned by law enforcement, and the other half are owned by private citizens. In the United States, there are 1,000 times more regular guns than there are machine guns.Dec 17, 2012

Last edited:

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    "Lost" guns make me suspect employee/owner theft or is this the category for items "lost" from the rail cars in Chicago, USPS shipments, etc?

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    38 just seems like a lot.....I don't know what percentage of firearms out there are machine guns but it seems the folks that own them are pretty good and keeping them stored and safe...I was wondering whether a class III dealer may have had a burglary or something that year...I don't know...I just pulled the numbers and maybe it isn't that many after all....

How many machine guns are in the US?

In 1995 there were over 240,000 machine guns registered with the ATF. Approximately half of those are owned by law enforcement, and the other half are owned by private citizens. In the United States, there are 1,000 times more regular guns than there are machine guns.Dec 17, 2012

38 is nothing given the number of NFA/SOTs out there. Seems low to me. But I am no longer in the bidness.

There are 250K emma gees in a pool of 350M firearms. Machine guns (outside the service) constitute .0007% of the available stock.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    38 is nothing given the number of NFA/SOTs out there. Seems low to me. But I am no longer in the bidness.

There are 250K emma gees in a pool of 350M firearms. Machine guns (outside the service) constitute .0007% of the available stock.

Is there a distinction made between who is experiencing the bulk of these losses? Is it evenly distributed?

Tula47

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Jun 28, 2013
    Knox Co.
    "Lost" guns make me suspect employee/owner theft or is this the category for items "lost" from the rail cars in Chicago, USPS shipments, etc?

I would think you're right, I bet a good amount of the "losses" where from postal carriers. I also wonder how many end up returned?

Last edited:

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    That seems like a high number of machine guns stolen.....

I knew a guy in Bloomington that had eight machine guns stolen out of his car. He went shooting in the morning and after he drove home he left them in the car while he went in his house for lunch. Presumably, someone followed him home & liberated the firearms while he ate. My point is that the "38" might not be INDIVIDUAL thefts, but could be three or four thefts where multiple machineguns were taken.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I didn't know we had FFL holders in places like Guam, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I agree. I would also think that any FFL with too many "losses" would be in the crosshairs of an investigation and in jeopardy of losing their license.

"Lost" can often mean a SN got transposed. Many good shops have been closed due to staff too sloppy with recording the correct data. I remember a couple good shops getting closed on the east cost when I lived out that way... papers and ATF statements made it sound so ominous, when really almost all their "lost" inventory came down to transposed #s on something like 0.1% of their transactions.

I always think of this when people talk about registries... Do you want your freedom to be based on some slacker either at a store or in the govt who can't enter data correctly, and suddenly big brother wants to know why you are "missing" SN#____...... or why you have gun # 123 when the books show you should have 132?

-rvb

Last edited:
    Top Bottom