• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • clayshooter99

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Dec 3, 2008
    Just looking for some info on indoor ranges around Indy, mostly northside but would consider others. Looking for clean, safe, target holders that run and work well and RO's that are decent. I am experienced but understand many are just starting. I have been to both Point Blank's and the facility is very nice and clean. Looking for just an hour at a time for handguns only and a place where I can take my own targets and not pay 1.00-3.00 for a 50 cent target.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I've been pleased with the range at Indy Arms so far. Not really on the north side, but if your willing to trek down to 55th street it may be an option.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Just looking for some info on indoor ranges around Indy, mostly northside but would consider others. Looking for clean, safe, target holders that run and work well and RO's that are decent. I am experienced but understand many are just starting. I have been to both Point Blank's and the facility is very nice and clean. Looking for just an hour at a time for handguns only and a place where I can take my own targets and not pay 1.00-3.00 for a 50 cent target.

Good luck finding some place nicer than Point Blank that doesn't charge more for targets. They have a huge variety of targets priced below what any other range I've been too has charged. Most charge $2 or more for less variety. I find the $1 that Point Blank charges to be quite reasonable.

I've heard Tim's Shooting Academy is a nice range in Westfield, but I've also heard they have some odd restrictions that have kept me from trying the place out. From the posted rules, you can't unholster a holstered weapon, even on the firing line and customers can't bring their own targets. Those would keep me from going there because I often bring my own targets and I always shoot my EDC when I'm there, so I safely unholster the weapon, clear it and set it with the rest of the weapons to be shot. Never had an issue doing so at Point Blank, even with the RO standing behind me watching.

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Another vote for Indy Arms. Very clean and I've never had a problem with smoke. The owner and GM are both active in the shooting community. Indy Arms isn't part of some chain that has the "big box" store mentality.
    I disagree about Point Blank for reasons I've stated elsewhere. I do not recommend people go there for any reason.

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    As far as targets the cheapest I've found is at Parabellum in Avon. Theirs are only a dollar each even if you don't shoot there. I've stopped in there on the way to Deer Creek to pick up a couple to use out there.

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    Indy Arms is my go to Indoor facility too. Very clean facility and awesome staff. They also run a lunchtime 1/2 price range time special. If your in the area, stop in and check the place out.

numbaonecoltsfan

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2015
    Mooresville
    Another vote for Indy Arms. Very clean and I've never had a problem with smoke. The owner and GM are both active in the shooting community. Indy Arms isn't part of some chain that has the "big box" store mentality.
    I disagree about Point Blank for reasons I've stated elsewhere. I do not recommend people go there for any reason.
    I hate to ask but I can't find it. What's your issue with point blank. I have only heard great things. Interested to hear a dissenting opinion.

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    I hate to ask but I can't find it. What's your issue with point blank. I have only heard great things. Interested to hear a dissenting opinion.

Long story made short but they are not pro-2A or NFA. There have been multiple threads about the absurd requirements they make of lawful owners of NFA items. Do a site wide search for point blank and they will come up. It's not just me there are others here who have had bad experiences with them.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas

I agree. I'll never step foot in there. If Crew Car Wash wanted to see my vehicle registration to wash my truck, they could kiss my ass also.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I shoot NFA at Point Blank a lot. The "I need to see your stamp" is being played up IMO. All I've ever had to do is flash them a copy of a folded up shrunken copy. There's no way they could have read anything off of them. If they had wanted to read the stamp I would have denied them like I would have denied any other LEO asking to see them.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis

I cant say I personally have a problem with Point Blank's range, but I like the Indy Arms range more. I particularly like the Indy separates rifle and pistol calibers between their two sets of lanes. Pistol or rifle can be on the rifle range, but pistol only on the pistol range. I like not having an AR next to me when I'm just shooting handguns that day.

Eight

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2014
    Central Indiana
    Be careful with your time at Indy Arms. I left the lane with about two to three minutes to spare went to settle up and there were a couple of pairs ahead of me and while in line went over the hour. They charged me extra. When I questioned they said they go by when you check out at the computer. So I asked if they they understood I was charged for standing in line. They reiterated their policy is when you get to the register. My vote is for point blank. They let you use the full time and will notify you when you are close. When you leave your lane they notify the desk so they can send the next party in. Also you only need to visit the counter once. All other ranges I have visited make you wait in line twice. Once to check in and once to settle up. Indy arms is much more efficient and their process frees up their staff to get folks on the range. When you are done, you pack up and walk out.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Be careful with your time at Indy Arms. I left the lane with about two to three minutes to spare went to settle up and there were a couple of pairs ahead of me and while in line went over the hour. They charged me extra. When I questioned they said they go by when you check out at the computer. So I asked if they they understood I was charged for standing in line. They reiterated their policy is when you get to the register. My vote is for point blank. They let you use the full time and will notify you when you are close. When you leave your lane they notify the desk so they can send the next party in. Also you only need to visit the counter once. All other ranges I have visited make you wait in line twice. Once to check in and once to settle up. Indy arms is much more efficient and their process frees up their staff to get folks on the range. When you are done, you pack up and walk out.

I agree with you, but I think you meant to say Point Blank at the end, instead of Indy Arms, if I'm reading your post correctly. I've been to Indy Arms and liked it just fine. I don't like the thought of being charged more for time I wasn't shooting though, especially if it was due to standing in line to check out. That's just ridiculous. I've been shooting at Point Blank since they opened (around 2 years or so) and have never been charged for extra time. Since Point Blank is the closest range to me anyway and I've never had any issues there, I'll just keep using them.

BJones

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Noblesville/Westfld
    Just looking for some info on indoor ranges around Indy, mostly northside but would consider others. Looking for clean, safe, target holders that run and work well and RO's that are decent.

The question was as stated above. Point Blank meets all of those requirements and more. I live 3 minutes from Tim's and go to Point Blank because it is clean, safe and has good R/O's. I will never go to Tim's again, they treat you like a child and are arrogant and over bearing.

ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    My question is why limit yourself to indoor range, getting charged by hour?

Give MCFG a try.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I can't say I've had the time issues other have had at Indy Arms. The last few times I've been in there haven't been enough people on the range to make a line though either. It's an advantage to going in the evenings.

If you frequent the range, a membership may be worth looking into. For my use of the range, the membership would pay for itself after 17 trips. So it makes sense if I go twice a month or more.

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    My question is why limit yourself to indoor range, getting charged by hour?

Give MCFG a try.

I considered joining MCFG but it's very cost prohibitive. If I remember right the first year's cost is $75 for dues and a $50 processing/initiation fee. Plus you have to attend 2 classes put on by associates of the range at $100 each. That's $325 for the first year. The numbers may be off some but they are close.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I can't say I've had the time issues other have had at Indy Arms. The last few times I've been in there haven't been enough people on the range to make a line though either. It's an advantage to going in the evenings.

If you frequent the range, a membership may be worth looking into. For my use of the range, the membership would pay for itself after 17 trips. So it makes sense if I go twice a month or more.

Memberships are worth it depending on how often you go. I shoot every weekend, so a membership pays for itself after two trips. The other two trips are "free". Point Blank is more expensive than certain other ranges, but for me it's relatively close and I don't have to worry about ventilation problems like far too many other indoor ranges.

I considered joining MCFG but it's very cost prohibitive. If I remember right the first year's cost is $75 for dues and a $50 processing/initiation fee. Plus you have to attend 2 classes put on by associates of the range at $100 each. That's $325 for the first year. The numbers may be off some but they are close.

It's both more and less than that. Dues are $110 a year. The first year you pay $50 more ($160), but that's for the HID card to open the gate. You need to have some type of certification / proof you've attended training (there's a list of what is accepted) and you should attend a monthly meeting and/or range clean up day, though I don't think it's mandatory.

Top Bottom