• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    My wife says I should have posted her picture here instead of the Ammo section. Costco is now selling ammo cans. How many are left in Castleton? I don't know.

attachment.php

Last edited:

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I use a lot of ammo cans. The best ones are actual surplus.
    IF you get a "stinker" you'll need to take the rubber seal off, clean the seal, and clean the can as well. It's the ONLY way to get the musky smell out of them.
    I don't recommend the above aftermarket cans. The lid hinges slide around and don't provide a good seal UNLESS you stay on top of them every time you open and close them.
    I've used the Blackhawk cans too and I can't recommend them either.
    I pay between $5 and $15 for the military surplus cans depending on size, condition, and which shop is carrying them.

wakproductions

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I was thinking about buying some of these but skeptical because it says "military style" not actual military spec cans. Not sure they would have the durability of the real ones, which usually sell for about the same price. Plus... I'm so used to the musky smell I kind of expect it! lol

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I've bought several of the newer "military style" cans.
    While not the same gauge steel as the surplus, they do create a good seal, and are serviceable.
    They're MUCH easier to find than the surplus ones that are still in good shape.
    The surplus supply is dwindling fast.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    I have a quite large supply of the Mil surplus cans. The only ones I will use now are the 30 and 50 cal size. I made a mistake several years ago and picked up some (real cheap) larger cans. We were on a .38 / .357 reloading binge at the time and filled up one of the ones about 2' tall / 10~12" wide / about 14" or so long. Filled it to the top we did, moving that can is like moving a safe! Don't know what it weighs but way too much to handle, don't know how they handle them in the battlefield. It remains in my upstairs storage and we just remove what ammo we want and transfer it to one of the 50 cans.

Wife volunteers at the Salvation Army shop and they had a large lot of 50 cans donated. The manager priced them very low ($2 ~ $3 as I remember) so I told her to buy as many as she could. I still have several empties after giving some to a friend and my son.

RK had some 50 size on sale last year for $8, don't know if they were re-pops or not.

Top Bottom