• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sheepdog697

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 2, 2015
    Cedar Lake
    Lots of these stories popping up. More and more people think they are talented enough to instruct. I guees it just shows to do your research on who you are taking instruction from.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    ..."Don't worry . . . eet ain't low-dead!"...

I prefer a more corrective and instructive approach than that when folks screw up so others might learn from each specific error committed:

1. Why did he point a gun in an unsafe direction? Was that door an immediate threat? Was there a safer direction? A bucket full of sand, perhaps?

2. Why did he pull the trigger if he wasn't ready for it to shoot? Was there some reason compelling him to demonstrate a click sound? Get a clicker.

3. Why did he use a gun that was loaded for use? Couldn't he have opted to use an inert training aid for demonstration purposes?

Also, that article kinda butchered even the old 4 "law" variation on safe gun handling.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Jeez, I'm using a water pistol to train one of our dogs to not bark in the house and I won't even put my finger on the trigger until I'm ready to soak her down.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I prefer a more corrective and instructive approach than that when folks screw up so others might learn from each specific error committed:

1. Why did he point a gun in an unsafe direction? Was that door an immediate threat? Was there a safer direction? A bucket full of sand, perhaps?

2. Why did he pull the trigger if he wasn't ready for it to shoot? Was there some reason compelling him to demonstrate a click sound? Get a clicker.

3. Why did he use a gun that was loaded for use? Couldn't he have opted to use an inert training aid for demonstration purposes?

Also, that article kinda butchered even the old 4 "law" variation on safe gun handling.

Why did he have ammo (not only in the firearm) but in the classroom. Especially if they were going over grip, stand etc, ETC, ETC

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    How do you have a gun in your holster and "think" it is unloaded?
    i am so tired of dumb people.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana

Sure, I'd deflect too if I were you.

He did all those things because he thought the gun was unloaded.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Yep, someone told him he could ignore Rule #1.
    At least twice. When he put his holster on and holstered his gun, he should have checked (I don't because my EDC is always loaded, but he is assuming he is holstering an unloaded weapon, that requires checking). Then in the class, he should have made a point of checking so that his whole class was cognizant of his checking.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    I am reminded often of the old saying "Familiarity breeds Contempt", as I stated in an earlier post, more "accidents" happen to experienced chain saw users than beginners. I really think the same is true of Firearm users / Instructors. After handling firearms for over many years (60+ years in my case), it is too easy to get into the mindset that it won't happen to me and I have the experience to ignore some of the rules.

I try to keep reminding myself a firearm (or chainsaw) is DANGEROUS and that they are ALWAYS dangerous. So far I have been "accident" free, no AD's, or ND's YET. Hope I never do, but I know it can happen to me or anyone else regardless of experience, training or intelligence. It is real easy to second guess someone after an incident, but it could happen to any of us. I'm glad to see these incidents posted as it does remind us of these facts.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Sure, I'd deflect too if I were you.

Deflect? I contrasted your non-corrective, non-instructive approach with something far better. You don't have to adopt it but you can't refute its value, either.

He did all those things because he thought the gun was unloaded.

Where did he come up with the notion that unloaded guns aren't to be handled safely? Your knee-jerk response will never get to the heart of the matter, but real and direct questions will.

He chose to handle a gun unsafely. Even it had been unloaded, it still would have been handling a gun unsafely. The question remains and demands an answer: why?

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I went last week to pick up our church sign.
    I pulled out my wallet to pay.
    It was a kydex front pocket wallet, not the type generally stolen by a ISP Trooper.

That opened the firearm discussion when he asked if it was kydex. His designer said I carry every where I go. I said good for you in exercising your rights. Then things went bad from there when he and the owner thought that day was show and tell day.

The designer unzips his backpack and pulls out his LCP to show me and was pointing it at the back of another designers head.
    I said "You have that pointed at the back of your buddies head". His reply was "I don't keep one in the chamber"

I told him to get some training because you never point a gun at anything your not willing to destroy. He again goes back to the there's not one in the chamber. I ask him to put it back in the backpack.

The owner then pulls his M&P Shield from a desk drawer to show his prize perp stopper. I asked him to leave it holstered. He then says there's not on in the chamber :ugh:

I had to get the heck out of there before I looked like Swiss Cheese.
    I have to go back this week to get another sign. If any show and tell starts to happen I might have to repent for my actions.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

koolaid.jpg

Glad to have you back ATM. :yesway:

Top Bottom