• ...and so much more!
  • Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    It looks like we will be closing on our home next month. We will have a little over an acre in the back, butting up against a neighbors farm. I'm looking to build a 100 yard range for bow and firearms. I like the idea of using railroad ties for the backstop, because they are abundant around here. Im hoping to have this done by the end of September. Any suggestions on design or materials are welcome.

DEEE770E-84B0-412C-8281-34F9DF9C37AA_zps1dgcxjd1.jpg

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    As said, congratulations! As far as backstops go, bi piles of dirt, on top of other piles of dirt! In front of them, RR ties are ok, but lotsa DIRT! Just like a useless college grad, PHD, Pile it Higher and Deeper!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    KJG used a series of wood siniler to RR ties interlocked. It will stop a .308.
    The only improvement I could see it needs is a PHD of dirt behind it just in case.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    KJG used a series of wood siniler to RR ties interlocked. It will stop a .308.
    The only improvement I could see it needs is a PHD of dirt behind it just in case.

486DDC51-24E4-4BDE-9122-2C1F6EAC9835_zpsbgnvo40u.jpg

4ADAB3CA-FA24-4BC4-A5EA-77E8A7108D32_zpsg1gev0th.jpg

This is a combination of 6x6s and 8x8s. Most of the front row is 8x8s (two 6x on the left three on the right). Back row and base is all 6x. This is 6'6" tall, 12 foot wide, and 14" thick. .308 won't go through the first timber. The 8x8s are close to 200 pounds a piece, very dense.
    Two posts in the back set in concrete, with a 2x4 across them. Each timber in the back row has one concrete framing nail through the 2x4, to hold it in place. Front row has a board across the top.

Pull one one nail and you can remove or rotate any timber.

My previous backstop was railroad ties, with dirt behind it. If you go that route, use the dirt. Rifle rounds go through railroad ties.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Calculate the volume of soil you're going to need... And then double it.

1 CY of soil isn't very much. And you're going to want much. :-)

Pistol boy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 4, 2017
    Griffith
    You could rent a small excavator or bobcat to dig a small pond for fishing and use the dirt for shooting? That was my plan but wife had different plans. Dam hoa.

Haven

Network Warlord
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 6, 2016
    Camby Area
    I see PhD and I think "Piled Higher and Deeper".. Maybe just me.

I saw a guy who dug out a pond and built a 10' high, 10' thick half circle berm that he used for his backstop.

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    Riley Conservation Club | Indiana Shooting Range | Terre Haute Indiana

At Riley Conservation Club, we're in the process of adding more backstops. The new ones will be similar to the one shown in the link. We stack railroad ties 6 high and put sand IN FRONT of the wall of ties. The sand absorbs bullets without shooting thru the ties, the tie at the bottom front minimizes erosion. These backstops are virtually maintenance free, 2 times a year we spend 20 minutes to shovel sand back to the top and spray for the occasional weed. Dirt grows weeds, sand not so much. Our new ones will be 2 ties wide and one tie deep with interlocked corners and seam in the back.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Way to go, Que!
    You'll finally have a place for all your artillery, especially that beautiful Henry .45-70.
    You're living the dream, man.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Thanks for all the input guys, but I think I'll go with a suggestion another guy gave me. He said to use sand in front of railroad ties. I think that will work better that what I've seen posted so far. Still, thanks for the input. :):

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Rr ties are ok, but dirt in front of them is better.
    I've had lots of rounds BOUNCE BACK off of railroad ties (seems like anything moving slow enough and thats hard, in my exp)
    For 22 at 50 yds, no big deal. But for 38 spl from 10-15 yds.... it'll spit it right back.

In other words, leave sufficient room between target and backstop. Live and learn :)

Top Bottom