• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    We were just pulling in and saw him on his cell phone, calling whoever. .300 Blackout pistol (of course) discharged inside duffel bag. Projectile zipped through vehicle and struck parking block.

I know gun stores are dangerous because of the high Cletii concentration, but this one has a gun range. Glad to know I was late to the Stupidity Party.

Anyone have any additional info?

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    We were just pulling in and saw him on his cell phone, calling whoever. .300 Blackout pistol (of course) discharged inside duffel bag. Projectile zipped through vehicle and struck parking block.

I know gun stores are dangerous because of the high Cletii concentration, but this one has a gun range. Glad to know I was late to the Stupidity Party.

Anyone have any additional info?

Not sure of the "of course" reference. My .300 BLK is an SBR.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I didn't witness it, but was filled in by employees who did.

I am told that the guy came into the shop afterward and informed on himself, and that an alert cop passing by saw our employees outside looking at the damage and talking to the guy, and said to himself "oh, this looks like a thing." Pulled in, took a report. Damage appeared to be limited to through-and-through on the car door and a chunk out of our curb. I am also told the car was a rental. :):

We were darn lucky that was the extent of it. Needless to say, the person in question was refused service at our establishment.

Indy-Mike

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 5, 2013
    Carmel

I am told that the guy came into the shop afterward and informed on himself, and that an alert cop passing by saw our employees outside looking at the damage and talking to the guy, and said to himself "oh, this looks like a thing." Pulled in, took a report. Damage appeared to be limited to through-and-through on the car door and a chunk out of our curb. I am also told the car was a rental. :):

We were darn lucky that was the extent of it. Needless to say, the person in question was refused service at our establishment.

I want to hear the story of when he turned in the rental car.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

Good on you!

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    I guess he assumed it was unloaded and then treated it as such.

What do you mean, "treated it as such?" As such that it didn't need to be handled safely? Is that what unloaded means to you?

Where did you get that notion? It's dangerous, you know, creates the potential for tragic consequences.

Where do you suppose he might have gotten that same notion that unloaded guns need not be handled safely?

I have a sneaking suspicion, but go ahead and tell me where yours came from at least. I'm trying to counter that dangerous but common notion and always looking for direct feedback from those who admit that they believe guns may be handled differently if they believe they're unloaded.

This should be good.:popcorn:

HubertGummer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 7, 2016
    McCordsville
    What do you mean, "treated it as such?" As such that it didn't need to be handled safely? Is that what unloaded means to you?

No. But It wasn't me that this happened to.I have no idea how that guy treats his guns. Obviously not the right way as this happened.

Where did you get that notion? It's dangerous, you know, creates the potential for tragic consequences.

If the notion you are talking about is treating guns differently if they're unloaded then IDK. I always treat mine like they are loaded even if I know they are not. Obviously this was not how you transport a loaded gun.

Where do you suppose he might have gotten that same notion that unloaded guns need not be handled safely?

IDK. Maybe his grandpa taught him:dunno:
    I have a sneaking suspicion, but go ahead and tell me where yours came from at least. I'm trying to counter that dangerous but common notion and always looking for direct feedback from those who admit that they believe guns may be handled differently if they believe they're unloaded.

where my what came from? I always handle my guns following the rules. Just because I treat it like its loaded all the time doesn't mean I ignore the other 3.

see replies in bold.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    Glad nobody was hurt! Years ago when I worked at a Chevrolet dealership somebody failed to turn in a rental. It was found at a cheap motel 20 minutes away, empty bottle of colt 45 on the floorboard next to an empty pack of marlboro reds. Three bullet holes in the door/windshield, no blood. So many questions and never answers!

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011

In fairness, that curb might've been having an affair with the guy's wife.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I'm just glad we finally have a thread where we can discuss the esoteric and philosophical nature of the 4 rules as it pertains to a safe mindset.

Lord knows we've never had that​ opportunity before.

ATM

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    I'm just glad we finally have a thread where we can discuss the esoteric and philosophical nature of the 4 rules as it pertains to a safe mindset.

Lord knows we've never had that​ opportunity before.

I am advancing and refining as I go, I'm tired of people giving up and starting over. I will never relent.

ATM

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    I guess he assumed it was unloaded and then treated it as such.

No. But It wasn't me that this happened to.I have no idea how that guy treats his guns. Obviously not the right way as this happened.

It was your guess, which means it was based on your reasoning, your definitions, your mindset, not anyone's actions. I want you to attempt to identify the basis of your guess such that you prove this to yourself and might understand why and how I'm attempting to expose it as a problem which only masquerades as a solution.

If the notion you are talking about is treating guns differently if they're unloaded then IDK. I always treat mine like they are loaded even if I know they are not. Obviously this was not how you transport a loaded gun.

Just go ahead and explain what you meant by unloaded and treated as such, it came from you regardless.
    Explain how and why you equate "safely" with "like they are loaded" because logically, you would then tend to make the mistake of equating "unsafely" with "like they aren't loaded" instead of what unsafely actually means - negligently, recklessly, dangerously, foolishly, criminally, irresponsibly.

I'm attempting to make this huge distinction in a manner that ultimately becomes self-evident for anyone who considers it themselves. It cannot then be denied or retreated from because you're only arguing with yourself at that point.

IDK. Maybe his grandpa taught him:dunno:

Or, he concluded it himself from getting away with touching the stove a few times and understanding that it's not always hot. His luck ran out that day and his poor stove handling resulted in some damage. We all know it could have been much worse. I hope he will resolve to handle stoves like they're stoves from now on. Stove's only got one job. ;)

where my what came from? I always handle my guns following the rules. Just because I treat it like its loaded all the time doesn't mean I ignore the other 3.

Your notion that unloaded guns may be treated as such (differently than loaded guns, something less than safely). This seems to be your mindset and a very popular one.

I simply want to expose it to you (and everyone else who holds that popular notion in the process) ...and I want to tear it down.

I instruct people to handle all guns safely, that safe gun handling is not just for "loaded" guns. I don't even introduce them to the concept or notion that they should base their safe gun handling on loaded assumptions or checks of its status. I know what they'll mistakenly conclude if I do so ...and I know that will tempt them into mistakes of judgment and then, mistakes of action.

Mistakes of action have the potential to be disastrous, tragic.

Checking a gun's loaded status should be the third thing they process when they handle any gun.

If they only process 1 step, I want it to be the golden rule of safe gun handling, keep it pointed in a safe direction!
    That's the one that reduces tragedies and protects the most important stuff from ever being targeted: people who don't need shot.

If they process the 2nd step, they'll send far fewer unintentional rounds in that safe direction and hopefully only need to patch holes in things when they choose for some reason to ignore it and shoot when they weren't ready to.

If they followed along and made it to step 3, they are ready to determine if they'd like to safely unload or load the gun they've already been handling safely in order to get to this step. Excellent, I don't want them skipping those other 2 in their rush to get here and I don't want them to abandon those other 2 even if they choose to unload it now. Gun's still only got one job. ;)

It's shaping up nicely, thank you for continuing the exercise. I am more interested and vested in advancing gun safety than arguing for the sake of arguing, so please, consider and give me your honest thoughts, even if it's via PM, this topic is more important than any one of us. :)

Top Bottom