• throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Hi all -
    Bill would eliminate Michigan pistol registration mandate | MLive.com

As a long-time Hoosier (turned Michigander), I was shocked when I found out that I'd have to register my handguns with the state of Michigan. Note, there is no long gun registry.
    The current law is something like this: the "registry" consists of the individual mailing in a form (Form RI-060) with details of the purchase (serial #, date, make/model/cal of gun, FFL#, etc) within 10 days of purchase from an FFL. The FFL keeps a hard-copy, as does the purchaser, and then a 3rd copy is sent to the state by the purchaser. For private sale, it is easiest if both parties have a MI Concealed Pistol License (CPL), otherwise the purchaser must obtain permission from local PD prior to private party sale. Penalty for not registering can be $250, but penalty for carrying an unregistered handgun can be much more severe. The list is kept by the MI State Police.

There's a lot of unspecified gray areas in the current law. Like when I moved to MI with my handguns from IN, my local PD (Ann Arbor) preferred to sit down with me for an awkward 10 min interview about me and my guns. I found no prescription for this in the law. General internet wisdom says to mail in the form, listing yourself as the buyer and seller of the gun with a note that you just moved into the state.

There is a new proposal to eliminate the state handgun registry - which would be great! I don't like being on a list IF I HAVEN'T DONE ANYTHING WRONG. Also, consider New Orleans after Katrina, when local PD (and natl. guard?) forcibly confiscated guns from people on their "list" - disarming citizens when they probably needed protection the most.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    If anyone cares to, please send a note to the reps in MICHIGAN (even if not as constituents) showing broad support for less restrictions in exercising the 2A.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    They try this every couple years, got close a couple years ago until Sandy Hook and then the Governor lost his spine. If they can keep the state police from whining about it then it might pass. They didn't offer any resistance to the recent automatic knife bill so maybe they're getting some common sense.

TWEAKD4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 31, 2012
    NE Indiana
    I guess the freedom we get in indiana is unique. I would have never thought a state as close as Michigan has such craziness for laws. Komifornia yes but not Michigan. Just another reason to cherish this state.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    These lists are bad as sooner or later hackers or self serving government employees are going to post everything you own including your address on the web. Instant burglars shopping list.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    One other reason I choose to live in Indiana instead of my home state of Michigan.

Some of us dont have the luxury of living in a free state.

I guess the freedom we get in indiana is unique. I would have never thought a state as close as Michigan has such craziness for laws. Komifornia yes but not Michigan. Just another reason to cherish this state.

Michigan really has some screwy laws. Not nearly as free as Indiana. Having lived in both states, I definitely prefer Indiana. This is a huge step in the right direction for Michigan, and hopefully just the first step in many.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    They try this every couple years, got close a couple years ago until Sandy Hook and then the Governor lost his spine. If they can keep the state police from whining about it then it might pass. They didn't offer any resistance to the recent automatic knife bill so maybe they're getting some common sense.

More info on this please. Are they legal now?

I'd still like to see a "gun in your car at work" bill passed too.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Heads up.

Unless the law has changed, Michigan does not follow ATF definition of how a long gun is measured. ATF rewrote the constitution to allow the overall measurement with a folding stock or collapsible stock as being with the stock unfolded or fully extended. I believe Michigan rewrote the second by measuring the long gun with the folder folded or the collapsible stock fully collapsed. And for some reason 30 inches comes to mind but I could be wrong.

Too many violations of the supreme law of the land, good luck!

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Heads up.

Unless the law has changed, Michigan does not follow ATF definition of how a long gun is measured. ATF rewrote the constitution to allow the overall measurement with a folding stock or collapsible stock as being with the stock unfolded or fully extended. I believe Michigan rewrote the second by measuring the long gun with the folder folded or the collapsible stock fully collapsed. And for some reason 30 inches comes to mind but I could be wrong.

Too many violations of the supreme law of the land, good luck!

In MI anything under 30 inches used to be classified as a handgun and had to be registered but that was changed several years ago to under 26 inches.

Summary of Michigan?s New Pistol Definition Law | Michigan Association of Firearms Retailers

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Top Bottom